OVERVIEW OF FORMULATION, MANUFACTURE AND APPLICATIONS OF MINI TABLETS
Mini tablets, recent trend of solid dosage form, made remarkable contribution to avoid certain obstacles in people’s mind and offered best therapeutic benefits, flexible dose and combined released pattern. Mini tablets were developed and reported as patient friendly with increased patient acceptance. Mini tablets were made into modified release system for better dose and prolong drug release. They offer the advantage of reduced dose dumping and increased effect of drug by localization. Manufacture of mini tablets are similar to conventional tablets but need a change in tooling, equipment and specifications. Evaluation parameters found to be similar with conventional tablets but doses are variable. Mini tablets can also be encapsulated and hence different drug combinations are tried and found useful.
2. Rao KV, Venkatchalam VV. Dissolution kinetics of immediate release mini tablets of cefuroxime axetil. W J Pharm Res 2018;7:923-46.
3. Patel H, Shaikh SN. Formulation development optimization and evaluation of telmisartan mini tablets. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2018;8:545-54.
4. Chithaluru K, Tadikonda R, Gollapudi R, Kandula KKK. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of losartan potassium. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;8:403-10.
5. Priyanka, Kumar K, Teotia D. A comprehensive review on pharmaceutical mini tablets. J D Delivery Ther 2018;8:382-90.
6. Singh S, Virmani T, Virmani R, Kumar P, Mahlawat G. Fast dissolving drug delivery systems: formulation, preparation techniques and evaluation. Universal J Pharm Res 2018;3:60-9.
7. Klinmann V, Spomer N, Lerch C, Stoltenberg I. Favorable acceptance of mini-tablets compared with syrup: a randomized controlled trial in infants and preschool children. J Pediatrics 2013;163:1728-32.
8. http://group.bmj.com/group/rights-licensing/permissions. [Last accessed on 09 Jan 2020].
9. Lingam M, Ashok T, Vekateswarlu V, Rao YM. Design and evaluation of a novel matrix type multiple units as biphasic gastroretentive drug delivery systems. AAPS PharmSciTech 2008;9:1253-61.
10. El-Zahaby SA, Kassem AA, El-Kamel AH. Design and evaluation of gastroretentive levofloxacin floating mini-tablets-in-capsule system for eradication of helicobacter pylori. Saudi Pharm J 2014;22:570-9.
11. Hiorth M, Nilsen S, ThoI. Bioadhesive mini-tablets for vaginal drug delivery. Pharmaceutics 2014;6:494-511.
12. Ranjith K, Mahalakshmi R. Pharmaceutical mini tablets. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2015;7:507-15.
13. Shivakumar HN, Suresh S, Desai BG. Design and evaluation of pH sensitive minitablets for chronotherapeutic delivery of theophylline. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:73-9.
14. Lopes CM, Lobo JMS, Pinto JF, Costa P. Compressed mini-tablets as a biphasic delivery system. Int J Pharm 2006;323:93-100.
15. El-Say KM, Ahmed TA, Abdelbary MF, Ali BE, Aljaeid BM, Zidan AS. Risperidone oral disintegrating mini-tablets: a robust-product for pediatrics. Acta Pharm 2015;65:365-82.
16. Mahajan KV, Akarte AM, Sapate MK, Baviskar DT, Jain DK. Designing and evaluation of compressed mini-tablets of ramipril as a biphasic delivery system. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:7277-87.
17. Thomson SA, Tuleu C, Wong IC, Keady S, Pitt KG, Sutcliffe AG. Mini tablets: new modality to deliver medicines to preschool-aged children, Official. J Am Academy Pediatrics 2009;123:235–8.
18. https://epdf.pub/developing-solid-oral-dosage-forms-pharmaceutical-theory-and-practice.html. [Last accessed on 09 Jan 2020]
19. https://www.americanpharmaceuticalreview.com/Featured-Articles/190921-Minitablets-Manufacturing-Characterization-Methods-and-Future-Opportunities/. [Last accessed on 04 Nov 2019]
20. Rao RNG, Hadi MA, Panchal HA. A novel approach to sustained montelukast sodium release: differentially coated mini-tablets in HPMC capsules. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011;2:90-7.
21. Mounika A, Sirisha B, Rao V, Maheshwar U. Pharmaceutical mini tablets, its advantages and different enteric coating processes. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:523-41
22. De Souza DF, Goebel K, Andreazza IF. Development of enteric coated sustained release minitablets containing mesalamine. Brazilian J Pharm Sci 2013;49:529-36.
23. https://ima.it/pharma/directly-compressed-mini-tablets-coated-in-a-solid-wall-pan-for-the-sustained-release-of-drugs/. [Last accessed on 16 Dec 2019]
24. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266330162_Sustained_release_drug_delivery_system_A_review. [Last accessed on 10 Jul 2020]
25. Solanki B, Patel R, Barot B, Parejiya P, Shelat P. Multiple unit dosage forms: a review. Pharmtechmedica 2012;1:11-21.
26. Leon L. The theory and practice of industrial pharmacy. 2nd ed. Varghesed publishing house: Bombay; 1991.
27. Gupta A, Bilandi A, Kataria MK, Khatri N. Tablet coating techniques: concept and recent trends. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:50-8.
28. Paul NAC, Ernest AAA, Jim WA. Design and evaluation of chronotherapeutic pulsatile drug delivery system of cilnidipine. Universal J Pharm Res 2017;2:18-22.
29. M Tomuta I, Leucuta S. Identification of critical formulation variables for obtaining metoprolol tartrate mini-tablets. Farmacia 2010;58:719-27.
30. T N, Rao V, Hadi MA. Design and characterization of twice daily minitablets formulation of pregabalin. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:1484-91.
31. Sirisha MB, Rao V, Maheshwar U. Formulation and evaluation of fenofibric acid delayed release mini tablets in capsule. Int J Innovative Pharm Sci Res 2015;3:1290-304.
32. Honmane SM, Dange YD, Osmani RAM, Jadge DR. General consideration of design and development of dosage forms: pre-formulation review. Asian J Pharm 2017;11:479-85.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.