A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF CONJUNCTIVAL AUTOGRAFT AND BARE SCLERA TECHNIQUES IN THE TREATMENT OF PTERYGIUM
Objective: Pterygium is a fibrovascular growth encroaching from the conjunctiva into the cornea. This study deals with the comparison of conjunctival autograft and bare sclera technique as treatment options for pterygium.
Methods: This study was done in the ophthalmology department of Saveetha Medical College, Thandalam, Chennai. A total of 100 patients were diagnosed of pterygium was taken for the study, out of which 60 patients were operated on with conjunctival autograft and 40 patients were operated with bare sclera technique. Patients with hypertension, diabetes mellitus were excluded. Post-operative complications and recurrence were noted. All the patients were between the age group of 20-65 y.
Results: The mean age of patients operated with conjunctival autograft was 43.6, whereas in bare sclera technique was 46.625. The maximum age was 63 and the minimum age was 23 in conjunctival autograft whereas in bare sclera technique, the maximum age was 64 and the minimum age was 22. The recurrence rate of pterygium in conjunctival autograft was 1 and the recurrence rate of pterygium in bare sclera technique was 4.
Conclusion: The present study revealed that conjunctival autograft was a better treatment option compared to the bare sclera technique for excision of pterygium
2. Khurana AK, Khurana B. Comprehensive ophthalmology: with supplementary book-review of ophthalmology. JP Medical Ltd; 2015. p. 89-91.
3. Al?Bdour MD, Al?Latayfeh MTM. Risk factors for pterygium in an adult Jordanian population. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica 2004;82:64-7.
4. Shiroma H, Higa A, Sawaguchi S, Iwase A, Tomidokoro A, Amano S, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of pterygium in a southwestern island of Japan: the kumejima study. Am J Ophthalmol 2009;148:766-71.
5. Bradley PG, William MT. Pterygium. The Cornea. 2nd ed. Butterworth-Hienmann Boston; 1998. p. 497-521.
6. Khan N, Ahmad M, Baseer A, Kundi NK. To compare the recurrence rate of pterygium excision with bare-sclera, free conjunctival auto graft and amniotic membrane grafts. Pakistan Journal of Ophthalmology; 2010. p. 26.
7. Saw SM, Tan D. Pterygium: prevalence, demography and risk factors. Ophthalmic Epidemiol 1999;6:219-28.
8. Ahmed IFTIKHAR, Ahmed MUNIR, Ahmed WAQAR. Comparison of limbal conjunctival autograft with conventional bare sclera technique in the prevention of recurrence of pterygium. Pak J Med Health Sci 2012;6:629-31.
9. Kompalli JNSC. Pterygium excission bare sclera technique vs autologous conjunctival autograft-a prospective study. IOSR J Dental Med Sci 2016;15:20-3.
10. Jain A. A comparison between conjunctival autograft with bare sclera technique in pterygium excision and its recurrence. Int J Sci Stud 2018;6:123-6.
11. Alpay A, Ugurba? SH, Erdogan B. Comparing techniques for pterygium surgery. Clin Ophthalmol (Auckland, NZ) 2009;3:69.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.