IN VITRO EFFICACY TESTING OF NEEM (AZADIRACHTA INDICA) EXTRACT AGAINST AEROBIC AND ANAEROBIC BACTERIA
Objective: To experiment the antimicrobial susceptibility of crude extract from neem (Azadirachta indica) leaves against Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Clostridium perfringens.
Methods: Through the water extraction method, the aqueous crude extract of neem leaves were obtained. Separate colonies of Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli and Clostridium perfringens were isolated and identified on different agars. Agar cup diffusion method was done to test the antimicrobial susceptibility of the neem leaves crude extract against those bacteria on Mueller-Hinton agar. Susceptibility was determined based on the zone of inhibition formed on the agar of each bacterium culture.
Result: Neem was effective against Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium perfringens. It was not effective against Escherichia coli.
Conclusion: Neem extract has some promisable antimicrobial effects against Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium perfringens causative bacterial infections.
2. M Asif. Antimicrobial potential of Azadirachta indica against pathogenic bacteria and fungi. J Pharmacol Phytochem 2012;1:78-83.
3. MB Mohashine, M Nishimura, S Matsumura, T Shimono. Antimicrobial effect of the crude Azadirachtaindica neem bark extract on Streptococcus sobrinus. Pediatr Dent J 2009;7:61-4.
4. L Sunarwidhi, S Sudarsono, AE Nugroho. Hypoglycemic effect of combination of Azadirachta indica A. Juss and Gynuraprocumbens (Lour) merr ethanolic standardized by rutin and quercetin in alloxan-induced hyperglycaemic rats. Adv Pharm Bull 2014;4:613-8.
5. Acco M, Ferreira FS, Henriques JAP, Tondo EC. Identification of multiple stains of Staphylococcus aureus colonizing nasal mucosa of food handlers. Food Microbiol 2003;20:483-93.
6. Sudheendra Ramesh Kulkarni, Basavaraj V Peerapur, Kumar Sai Sailesh. Isolation and antibiotic susceptibility pattern of Escherichia coli from urinary tract infections in a tertiary care hospital of North Eastern Karnataka. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2017;8:176-80.
7. Fahim A Shaltout, Islam M Osman, Enas A Kamel, Amira K Abd-Alla. Isolation of Clostridium perfringens from meat samples obtained from a university student’s hostel. EC Nutrition 2017;9:142-50.
8. Tendencia, Eleonor A. Disk diffusion method. SEAFDEC, Aquaculture Department Japan, Chapter 2; 2004. p. 14-29.
9. Maragathavalli S, Brindha S, Kaviyarasi NSB, Annadurai B, Gangwar SK. Antimicrobial activity in leaf extract of neem (Azadirachta indica). IJSN 2012;3:110-3.
10. Ranjit R Raut, Aji R Sawant, Bhagyashree BJ Amge. Antimicrobial activity of Azadirachta indica (Neem) against pathogenic microorganisms. J AIR 2014;3:327-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.