ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AND ANTI-ALLERGIC ACTIVITY OF ERUCA SATIVA SEED
The present study has been designed to examine the Anti-allergic and Anti-inflammatory activity of various seed extracts of Eruca sativa in-vivo model. Milk induced leukocytosis and Eosinophilia in mice, formaldehyde induced paw edema was carried out against n-hexane and ethanolic extracts in albino mice dose dependent manner. Results showed that n-hexane extract at 400 mg/kg p. o significantly inhibited (p < 0.01) the blood eosinophilia, leukocyte and differential leukocyte count. These results were also comparable to those of dexamethasone, the reference drug used in this study. In the model of edema induced by formalin, n-hexane fractions at 400 mg/kg body weight reduced significantly (p < 0.01) the formation of edema induced by formalin. The results suggested that the hexane of Eruca sativa seeds possessed potent anti-inflammatory and anti allergic properties.Keywords: Traditional medicines, Duncanâ€™s Multiple Range Test, Green medicines, Eosinophils.
2. S Tewtrakul, and S. Subhadhirasakul. J. Ethnopharmacolo., 109, 535 (2007)
3. S. Sosa, M. J. Balick, R. G. Esposito, C. Pizza and G. Altinier, J. Ethnophormocol., 8, 211-215 (2002)
4. I. Lindner,, C. Meier, A. Url, H. Unger, A. Grassauer, E. P. Grassauer and P. Doerfler. BMC Immunolo., 11,24 (2010)
5. V. Sara, T. Franca and F. Gelsomina, Traditional of medicinal Plants in Valvestino (Italy). J. Ethnoph., 121, 106 (2009)
6. R. Nair, and S. V. Chanda, Turk J. Biol, 131, 231 (2007)
7. A. Flanders, and S. M. Abdulkarim, JAOCS., 62(7), 1134 (1985)
8. A. Ugur, I. SÃ¼ntar, S. Aslan, I. E. Orhan, M. Kartal, S. Nazim , D. Esiyok and B. Sener, Pharmacogn Mag., 6(24), 305 (2010)
9. R. Mohammed, M. Fernandez, M. Pineda and M. Aguilar, J. Food Sci., 72 (3), 207 (2007)
10. H. Michael, R. Shafik and G. Rasmy, J. Med. Plants. Res., 5(7), 1184 (2011)
11. B. R. Horn, and E. D. Robin, New England J. Medicine., 292, 1152 (1975)
12. T. T. Chau, Analgesic testing in animal models. In: Chang J. Y, A. J Lewis (Ed) Pharmacological methods in the control of inflammation. Alan, R. L., New York, 195 (1989)
13. G. Q. Zhang, X. D. Huang, H. Wang, A. K. N Leung, C. L. Chan, D. W. F. Fong and Z. L. Yu, J. Ethnopharmacol., 118, 290 (2008).
14. P. Pandit, A. Singh, A. R. Bafna, P. V. Kadam and M. J. Patil, Ind. J. Pharmaceutical Scie., 70(4), 440 (2008)
15. H. F. Rosenberg, S. Phipps, P. S. Foster, J. Allergy Clinical Immunol., 119, 1303 (2007)
16. A. Tjolsen, O. Berge, S. Hunskaar, J. H. Rosland, Pain., 51, 5 (1992)
17. R. A. Greenwald. Meth Find Exp Clin Pharmacol, 13, 75 (1991)
18. Yehuda, H., S. Khatib, I. Sussan , R. Musa, J. Vaya and S. Tamir, Bio Factors, 35(3), 295 (2009).