A BRIEF REVIEW ON RECENT DEVELOPMENTS AND EXPLORING ACTIVITIES OF 4-THIAZOLIDINONE
The present article is sincere attempt to review chemistry, synthesis, and applications of 4-thiazolidinone. Thiazolidinone, a saturated form of thiazole with carbonyl group on fourth carbon, has been considered as a magic moiety (wonder nucleus) which posses almost all types of biological activities. It belongs to an important group of heterocyclic compounds containing sulfur and nitrogen in a five-member ring. This biologically active scaffold has encouraged our interest in synthesizing several new compounds by using several substitutions at different positions, attached to 4-thiazolidinone moieties . Thiazolidinone scaffolds are reviewed extensively in literature for its vibrant potential against several activities. The various substituted 4-thiazolidinone has shown a wide spectrum of biological activities. The literature reveals that 4-thiazolidinone has diverse biological potential, and the easy synthetic routes for synthesis have taken attention of the chemists, pharmacologists and researchers. By the present scenario it can be concluded that 4-thiazolidinones have a great potential which remain to be disclosed till date.Keywords: Thiazolidinone, Thiazole, Pharmacological activities.
2. Mei-Hsiu Shih, Fang-Ying ke. Bioorganic and Med Chem 2004;12:4633.
3. Divyesh Patel, Premlata Kumari, Navin Patel. Synthesis and characterization of some new thiazolidinones containing coumarin moiety and their antimicrobial study. AASR 2010;2(6):68-75.
4. Adesh Dubey, SK Srivastava, SD Srivastava. Conventional and microwave assisted synthesis of 4-oxo-2-substituted aryl-1, 3-thiazolidine derivatives of benzotriazole: A new class of biological compounds. Analele Universitatii Bucuresti 2011;20(2);115-21.
5. Mulay Abhinit, Mangesh Ghodke, Nikalje Anna Pratima. Exploring potential of 4-thiazolidinone: a brief review. IJPPS 2009;1:1.
6. NAN Elkanzi. Short review on synthesis of thiazolidinone and Î²-Lactam. World J Org Chem 2013;1(2);24-51.
7. Jieping Z, Blanchet J, Reeveâ€™s. Synthesis of 2-imino-4-thiazolidinone derivatives. Tetrahedron Lett 2004;45:4449-52.
8. Dubreuil JF, Bazureau JP. Efficient combination of task-specific ionic liquid and microwave dielectric heating applied to one-pot three component synthesis of a small library of 4-thiazolidinones. Tetrahedron 2003;59:6121-30.
9. Ritu Sharma, Pushkal Samadhiya Savitri D. Srivastava, Synthesis and biological activity of 4-thiazolidinone derivatives of phenothiazine. J Serb Chem Soc 2012;77(1):17-26.
10. Ashok Prasad, KS Nimavat, KB Vyas. Synthesis and biological activity of thiazolidinone containing heterocyclic compound. JCPR 2012;4(6):2959-63.
11. Deepak Pareek, Manish Chaudhary, Pawan K Pareek, Ravi Kant. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 4-thiazolidinone derivatives incorporating benzothiazole moiety. Der Pharm Sin 2011;2(1):170-81.
12. N Solankee, KP Patel, RB Patel. A facile synthesis and studies of some new 4-thiazolidinones and 5-arylidenes. AASRFC 2013;3(1):117-22.
13. Pravesh Gangwar, Pankaj Sharma, Birendra Shrivastava. Synthesis and characterization of new thiazolidinone derivatives and screening for their Anti-Inflammatory activity. IJCTPR 2013;1(3):181-4.
14. Murugesan Sugumaran, Srinivasan Sethuvani, Marimuthu Poornima. Synthesis, Characterization and biological evaluation of 4-thiazolidinone derivatives. JPBMS 2014;7(3):287â€“91.
15. Kumar A, Rajput CS, Bhati SK. Synthesis of 3-[4-(p-chlorophenyl)-thiazol-2-yl]-2-[(substituted azetidinone/thiazolidinone)-aminomethyl]-6-bromoquinazolin-4-ones as anti-inflammatory agents. Bioorg Med Chem 15:3089-96.
16. D Parul Mehta, NPS Sengar, AK Pathak. 4-thiazolidinone-a new profile of various pharmacological activities. Oriental J Chem 2008;24(2):441-54.
17. Sudheer Moorkoth, Srinivasan KK, Naseer M. Synthesis and evaluation of anticancer activity of thiazolidinone analogues of flavones. APS Pharmsci 2012;798-806.
18. Sumit Bansal, Sharad Kumar, Anil Choudhary, Amit Tiwari. Synthesis, Docking study & anticancer evaluation of novel 3-phenyl-2-(3-aryl-1-phenyl-1H-pyrazol-4-yl)thiazolidine-4-ones. IGJPS 2014;4(1):18-24.
19. Hongyu Z. Design, synthesis, cytoselective toxicity, structureâ€“activity relationships, and pharmacophore of thiazolidinone derivatives targeting drug-resistant lung cancer cells. J Med Chem 2008;51:1242â€“50.
20. Padmavathi P Prabhu, T Panneerselvam, CS Shastry. Synthesis and anticancer evaluation of 2-phenyl thiazolidinone substituted 2-phenyl benzothiazole-6-carboxylic acid derivatives. J Saudi Chem Soc 2012. DOI: 10.1016/j.jscs.2012.02.001. [Article in Press].
21. Muhammed Naeem. Ecofriendly synthesis of thiazolidinone derivatives and their biological studies. 2010:10-152.
22. Velmurugan, V, Leelavathi. N, Kalvikkarasi. S, Synthesis and anticonvulsant activity of thiazolidinone derivatives. Int. j. ChemTech Res 2012;Vol.4, No.1;01-04.
23. Mahendra R. Shriadkar, Mangesh Ghodake, Kailash G. Bothara, Synthesis and Anticonvulsant activity of clubbed thiazolidinone-barbituric acid and thiazolidinone-triazole derivatives. ARKIVOC, 2007:58-74.
24. Tribuvan Singh, Brijendra Kumar Soni, Synthesis and Evaluation of thiazolidinones derivatives for their pharmacological activity. ISSN, 2011, Vol. 2(4): 2229-3701.
25. Kapustayak S. M., Prats Z. N., Lâ€™vivsâ€™k. Med. Inst., 24, 78 (1963).
26. Kucukguzel. S. G, Oruc. E. E, Rollas. S, Eur. J. Med. chem, 2002:37, 197.
27. Turan-Zitouni, G.; Kaplancikli, Z. A.; Ozdemir, A. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2010, 45, 2085.
28. Chen, H.; Guo, Z.; Yin, Q.; Duan, X.; GU, Y.; Li, X. Front. Chem. Sci. Eng. 2011, 5, 231.
29. Rao et al., Synthesis of new 2, 3-diaryl-1, 3-thiazolidin-4-ones as anti-HIV agents. IL Farmaco 2004;59:33-39.
30. Barreca M. L., Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 11, 1793 (2001).
31. Abhishek Kumar Jain, Ankur Vaidya, Veerasamy Ravi Chandran, Recent development and biological activities of thiazolidinone derivatives: A Review. Bioorganic and medicinal chemistry, 2012:3-16.
32. Giraudon R., French Patent, 2, 108 (1972).
33. Brody G., Elward T. E., J. Parasitol, 57, 1068 (1971).
34. Barreca M. L., Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett, 11, 1793 (2001).
35. Katti S. B., ARKIVOC ii, 120 (2005).
36. Lars J. S. Knutsen, Christopher J. Hobbs, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 17:662-667 (2007).
37. Diurno M. V., Farmaco, 54, 579 (1999).
38. Emmet J. C., Durant G. J., Ganellin C. R., Roe A. M., Turner J. L., J. Med.
39. Chem., 25, 1168 (1982).
40. Singh, P., Ojha, T. N., Sharma, R. C., Tiwari, S., Indian. J. Pharm. Sci., 57:162 (1994).
41. Faidallah, H. M.; Khan, K. A.; Asiri, A. M. J. Fluor. Chem. 2011, 132, 131.
42. Kini, D.; Ghate, M. Eur. J. Chem. 2011, 8, 386.