A REVIEW OF LABORATORY TECHNIQUES FOR DETECTING LEPTOSPIROSIS
Occupational and recreational exposure to leptospirosis occurs in both the developed and developing countries. Timely laboratory confirmation of the disease is necessary to ensure a favourable clinical outcome and it is not possible to diagnose leptospirosis with certainty, on clinical grounds alone due to its inconsistent manifestations. Dark-field microscopy has multiple limitations. Many serological tests are easy to perform with minimum skills and laboratory facilities. To make a reliable diagnosis, it is essential to use multiple techniques together or in succession. Microscopic agglutination test is considered the gold standardâ€ but requires paired sera, maintenance of live cultures of leptospires and is not useful for guiding early clinical management.
Though the Polymerase Chain Reaction requires special equipment and expertise, it is useful for diagnosing leptospirosis in the first week of illness. Culture provides definite proof of leptospiral infection and helps in identifying locally pathogenic serovars. However, it is not useful as a diagnostic tool because by the time diagnosis is made by culture, antibodies are already detectable by serological techniques.
Sero-surveillance helps in identifying high-risk individuals, high-risk geographical areas, outbreaks, animal reservoirs, new serological variants and their geographical distribution.
This review discusses various techniques for laboratory diagnosis of leptospirosis compared the technical limitations in terms of sensitivity, specificity and turnaround time. Based on the discussed facts, clinicians can decide the suitable technique of detections on case to case basis.
2. Sehgal SC, Murhekar MV, Sugunan AP. Outbreak of leptospirosis with pulmonary involvement in North Andaman. Indian J Med Res 1995;102:9-12.
3. Sehgal SC, Vijayachari P, Sharma S, Sugunan AP. LEPTO Dipstick: a rapid and simple method for sero-diagnosis of acute leptospirosis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1999;93:161-4.
4. Vijayachari P, Sugunan AP, Sehgal SC. Evaluation of lepto dri dot as a rapid test for the diagnosis of leptospirosis. Epidemiol Infect 2002;129:617-21.
5. Mitra DK. Leptospirosis. In: Sainani GS ed. API Textbook of Medicine. 6th edn. Mumbai: Association of Physicians of India; 1999. p. 62.
6. Gulati S, Menon S, Kabra M, Chaudhary R, Kalra V. Leptospirosisâ€“A case report. Pediatrics Today 2002;5(7):428-33.
7. Andre VL, Diamen D, Jaime RT. Leptospirosis in Latin America. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2000;14:23-39.
8. Galton MM, Powers DK, Hall D, Cornell RG. A rapid macroscopic screening test for the serodiagnosis of leptospirosis. Am J Vet Res 1958;19:505-12.
9. Wolff JW, Bohlander HJ. Screening tests in human serum samples with Leptospira biflexa antigens incorporated in Galtonâ€™s macroscopic slide test. Trop Geogr Med 1967;19:63-9.
10. Watt G, Alquiza LM, Padre LP, Tuazon MI, Laughlin LW. The rapid diagnosis of leptospirosis: a prospective comparison of the dot enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and the genus-specific microscopic agglutination test at different stages of illness. J Infect Dis 1988;157(4):840-42.
11. Gussenhoven GC, van der Hoorn MAWG, Goris MGA, Terpstra WJ, Hartskeevi RA, Mol BW, et al. LEPTO Dipstick, a dipstick assay for detection of Leptospira-specific immunoglobulin m antibodies in Human sera. J Clin Microbiol 1997;35(1):92-7.
12. Smits HL, Hartskeerl RA, Terpstra WJ. International multi-centre evaluation of dipstick assay for human leptospirosis. Trop Med Int Hlth 2000;5(2):124-8.
13. Adler B, Faine S. The antibodies involved in human immune response to leptospiral infection. J Med Microbiol 1978;11:387-400.
14. Shekatkar SB, Harish BN, Menezes GA, Parija SC. Clinical and serological evaluation of Leptospirosis in Puducherry, India. J Infection Developing Countries 2010;4(3):139-43.
15. Sehgal SC. Emergence of Leptospirosis as a public health problem. Proceedings of the Round table Conference on Leptospirosis. Pune 1998;3:7-17.
16. Sehgal SC, Vijayachari P, Sugunan AP, Umapathi T. Field application of Lepto Lateral Flow for rapid diagnosis of leptospirosis. J Med Microbiol 2003;52:897-901.
17. Smits HL, Ananyina YV, Chereshky A, Dancel L, Lai-A-Fat RFM, Chee HD, et al. International multicenter evaluation of the clinical utility of a dipstick assay for detection of Leptospira-specific immunoglobulin M antibodies in human serum specimens. J Clin Microbiol 1999;37(9):2604-9.
18. Smits HL, van der Hoorn MAWG, Goris MGA, Gussenhovoen GC, Yersin C, Sasaki DM, et al. Simple latex agglutination assay for rapid serodiagnosis of human leptospirosis. J Clin Microbiol 2000;38(3):1272-5.
19. Smits HL, Chee HD, Eapen CK, Kuriakose M, Sugathan S, Gasem MH, et al. Latex based rapid and easy assay for human leptospirosis in a single test format. Trop Med Int Health 2001;6(2):114-5.
20. Smits HL, Eapen CK, Sugathan S, Kuriakose M, Gasem MH, Yersin C, et al. Lateral-flow assay for rapid serodiagnosis of human leptospirosis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2001;8(1):166-9.
21. Eapen CK, Sugathan S, Kuriakose M, Abdoel T, Smits HL. Evaluation of the clinical utility of a rapid blood test for human leptospirosis. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2002;42(4):221-5.
22. Sulzer CR, Jones WL. Evaluation of a hemagglutination test for human leptospirosis. Appl Microbiol 1973;26(5):655-7.
23. Levett PN, Whittington CU. Evaluation of the Indirect Hemagglutination Assay for the diagnosis of acute leptospirosis. J Clin Microbiol 1998;36(1):11-4.
24. Levett PN, Branch SL, Whittington CU, Edwards CN, Paxton H. Two methods for rapid serological diagnosis of acute leptospirosis. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 2001;8(2):349-51.
25. Effler PV, Domen HY, Bragg SL, Aye T, Sasaki DM. Evaluation of the Indirect Hemagglutination Assay for the diagnosis of acute leptospirosis in Hawaii. J Clin Microbiol 2000;38(3):1081-4.
26. Arimitsu Y, Kobayashi S, Akama K, Matuhasi T. Development of a simple serological method for diagnosing leptospirosis: a micro capsule agglutination test. J Clin Microbiol 1982;15(5):835-41.
27. Sehgal SC, Vijayachari P, Subramaniam V. Evaluation of leptospiral micro capsule agglutination test (MCAT) for serodiagnosis of leptospirosis. Indian J Med Res 1997;106:504-7.
28. Arimitsu Y, Kmety E, Ananyina Y, Baranton G, Ferguson IR, Smythe L, et al. Evaluation of the one-point micro capsule agglutination test for diagnosis of leptospirosis. Bull WHO 1994;72(3):395-9.
29. MÃ©rien F, Baranton G, Perolat P. Comparison of polymerase chain reaction with micro agglutination test and cluture for diagnosis of leptospirosis. J Infect Dis 1995;172(1):281-5.
30. MÃ©rien F, Amouriaux P, Perolat P, Baranton G, Saint Girons I. Polymerase chain reaction for detection of Leptospira spp in clinical samples. J Clin Microbiol 1992;30(9):2219-24.
31. Bal AE, Gravekamp C, Hartskeerl RA, de Meza-Brewster J, Korver H, Terpstra WJ. Detection of leptospires in urine by PCR for early diagnosis of leptospirosis. J Clin Microbiol 1994;32(8):1894-8.
32. Gravekamp C, Van de Kemp H, Franzen M, Carrington D, Schoone GJ, Van Eys GJ. et al. Detection of seven species of pathogenic leptospires by PCR using two sets of primers. J Gen Microbiol 1993;139(8):1691-700.
33. Brown PD, Gravekamp C, Carrington DG, Van de Kemp H, Haartskeerl RA, Edwards CN, et al. Evaluation of the polymerase chain reaction for early diagnosis of leptospirosis. J Med Microbiol 1995;43(2):110-4.
34. Thaipadungpanit J, Chierakul W, Wuthiekanun V, Limmathurotsakul D, Amornchai P, Boonslip S, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of real-time PCR assays targeting 16S rRNA and lipL32 genes for human leptospirosis in Thailand: a case-control study. PLoS One 2011;6(1):e16236.
35. Cermakova Z1, Kucerova P, Pliskova L, Kubickova P. Real-time PCR method for the detection of the gene encoding surface lipoprotein LipL32 of pathogenic Leptospira: use in the laboratory diagnosis of the acute form of leptospirosis. Scand J Infect Dis 2013;45(8):593-9.
36. Perez J, Goarant C. Rapid Leptospira identification by direct sequencing of the diagnostic PCR products in New Caledonia. BMC Microbiol 2010;10:325.
37. Ferreira AS, Costa P, Rocha T, Amaro A, Vieira ML, Ahmed A, et al. Direct detection and differentiation of pathogenic Leptospira species using a multi-gene targeted real time PCR approach. PLoS One 2014;9(11):e112312.