SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF MEPHEDRONE IN A BULK FORM
Objective: Two simple and sensitive Spectrophotometric methods are developed for estimation of Mephedrone.
Methods: The first method is based on oxidation of the drug with alkaline Potassium Permanganate at room temperature (25Â± Â°c). The increase in absorbance of colored Manganate ions was measured at 610 nm. The second method is based on the oxidation of the drug with 1, 10â€“phenanthroline producing red colored chromogen which is measured at 510 nm.
Results: All parameters affecting the developments of the color were investigated and the conditions were optimized. Under the optimum condition used, Beer's law was obeyed in the concentration range 40-160 Âµg/ml and 80-220 Âµg/ml for method A and B respectively. Molar absorptivity was found to be 4.60Ã—102 L. mole-1 cm-1and 3.89Ã—102 L. mole-1 cm-1 respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed methods are well suited for determination of Mephedrone in bulk samples.
2. C Rambabu, S Venkata Rao, G Ramu, A Biksham Babu. Quantitative analysis of Mephedrone in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations by reverse phase high performance liquid chromatography. Rasayan J Chem 2010;3(4):796-9.
3. Eman Y Santali, Anna-Karnia Cadogan, Niamh Nic Daeid, Kathleen A. Sarage, Oliver B. Sulclifee. Synthesis, full chemical characterization and development of validate d methods for the quantitation of (Â±)-4 methylmethacathinone (Mephedrone). J Pharm Biomed Anal 2011;56(2):246-55.
4. Peter Jankovics, Andras Varadi, Laszio Tolayesi, Szilvia Lohner Julia Nemeth Palotas, Hilda Koszegi szalai. Identification & characterization of the new designer drug 4â€™-methylmethacathinone (4-MEC) and elaboration of a novel liq chromatography-tandem mass spectroscopy [LC-MS]. Forensic Sci Int 210;(1-3):213-20.
5. Emmislivka, Characterization of (MDPV) & Mephedrone in Legal Highâ€ products by chemical colour test, microcrystalline tests with confirmation by LC-MS, The Center For Forensic Science Research & Education, Willow curve, PA. ARCADIA university; 2011.
6. Syeda A Shah, James Barker, Andrea Petroczi, Paul Cross, Roland Archer. Quantitative analysis of Mephedrone using Liquid chromatography tandem mass spectroscopy; Application to human hair. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2012;6:64-9.
7. El Shamaileh Majed, Gonzalez-Rodriquez, Jose, Baron, Mark, Croxton, et al. A rapid HPLC-DAD method for the simultaneous analysis of mephedrone & methcathinone after liquid-liquid extraction from serum & whole blood matrices; IALM 2012, 22nd congress of the international Academy of legal Medicine, Turkey; 2012.
8. Aftab Aslam Parwaz Khan, Ayaz Mohd, Shaista Bano, KS Siddiqi, Abdullah Mohammed Asiri. Spectrophotometric methods for the determination of Ampicillin by KMnO4 and 1-chloro-2, 4-dinitrobenzene in pharmaceuticals. Arabian J Chem 2015;8(2):255-63.
9. Kalsang Tharpa, Kanakapura Basavaiah, Nagaraju Rajendraprasad, Kanakpura Basavaiah Vinay, Salmara Ganeshbhat Hiriyanna. Sensitive spectrophotometric assay of simvastin in pharmaceuticals using permanganate. Braz J Pharm Sci 2010;46:1.
10. Mohamaed, El-Ghaffar, Dina El Sherbiny, Dalia El-wasseef, Saadia El-Ashry. Spectrophotometric methods for determination of Ritodrine in bulk and in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Food Anal 2008;16(2):26-35.
11. Biksham Babu, G Ramu, S Venkata Rao, T Neeharika, C Rambabu. Spectrophotometric determination of an antiretroviral drug stavudine in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations: A. Rasayan J Chem 2011;4(2):33.