TITRIMETRIC ANALYSIS OF IBUPROFEN BULK DRUG SAMPLE BY USING UREA AS A HYDROTROPIC SOLUBILIZING AGENT
Objective: The objective of this study was to employ hydrotropic solublization technique to facilitate the tirimetric analysis of poorly water soluble drug, ibuprofen precluding the use organic solvent.
Methods: In the present investigation, poorly water-soluble anti-inflammatory drug, ibuprofen has been solubilized using 8M of urea as hydrotropic agent for its titrimetric analysis instead of using organic solvent.
Results: There was an enhancement in solubility of ibuprofen in 8M urea solution as compared to solubility in distilled water. The mean percent estimation of ibuprofen estimated in bulk sample by Indian Pharmacopoeial Method is 98.56% while by the proposed method (using 8M urea) is 98.67%. The results of analysis by the proposed method are very close to the results of the standard method.
Conclusion: Proposed method is simple, economic, accurate, eco-friendly and can be successfully employed in the routine quantitative analysis of drug in bulk drug and dosage form in industries.
2. Kapadiya N, Singhvi I, Mehta K, Karwani G, Dhrubo JS. Hydrotropy: a promising tool for solubility enhancement: a review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:26-33.
3. Maheshwari RK, Rajput MS, Sinha S. Ecofriendly spectro photometric estimation of tinidazole in tablet using Lignocaine hydrochloride as hydrotropic solubilizing agent. Asian J Pharm 2009;3(4):319-21.
4. Maheshwari RK, Rail N, Sharma S, Rajput MS, Soni S. New titrimetric analysis Fursemide in bulk and tablet using mixed hydrotropy concept. Drug Invent Today 2010;2(4):223-5.
5. Maheshwari RK, Prasad S, Pandey P, Wanare G. Novel spectrophotometric analysis of piroxicam tablets using ibuprofen sodium as hydrotropic solubilizing agents. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2(3):210-2.
6. Maheshwari RK, Pande S. A novel spectroscopic method for the estimation of Ketoprofen in tablet dosage form using hydrotropic solubilization phenomenon. Middle East J Sci Res 2010;6(3):209-12.
7. Maheshwari RK. Spectrophotometric determination of cefixime in tablets by hydrotropic solubilization phenomenon. Indian Pharm 2005;4:63-8.
8. Maheshwari RK, Chavada V, Varghese S, Shahoo K. Analysis of bulk sample of salicylic acid by application of hydrotropic solubilization method. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70(6):823-5.
9. Maheshwari RK, Rajput MS, Sinha S. New quantitative estimation of salicylic acid by using calcium disodium edetates hydrotropic solubilizing agent. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2009:1;38-41.
10. Maheshwari RK, Chadurvedi SC, Jain NK. Novel Spectrophotometric estimation of some poorly water soluble drug using hydrotropic solubilizing agen. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68(2):195-8.
11. Maheshwari RK, Rajput MS, Nair V. New quantitative estimation of poorly water soluble drug by sodium saccharine as hydrotropic agen. J Pharm Res 2010;3(1):6-8.
12. Maheshwari RK, Chaturvedi SC, Jain NK. Novel application of hydrotropic solubilization in the analysis of some NSAIDS and their solid dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci 2007;69(1):101-6.
13. Government of India Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Indian Pharmacopoeia. Vol. I. The Controller of Publication; 1996. p. 338-87.