USE OF ALUMINA IN PREPARATION OF OXIME: A PRECURSOR FOR BECKMANN REARRANGEMENT
Objective: Oxime is an important precursor for many reactions like Beckmann rearrangement, oxime ether preparation etc. Oxime is generally prepared in strong acidic , strong basic  medium. Even some methods involving mild basic medium  is also known. But these procedures involve hazardous chemicals like inorganic acid, inorganic base, organic bases like Pyridine , Hy amine  etc. Some green methodologies have been also developed but that also involves expensive reagents like Bi2O3  etc. Inthis context, this work has been carried out to develop a new methodology for oxime preparation.
Methods: Different oxims have been prepared in heating condition using water-ethanol medium and alumina as a base. Products have been isolated by column chromatography using 200 mesh silica gel followed by fractional crystallization. Products were verified by melting point analysis.
Results: Four different aromatic oxims have been prepared in excellent yield and in an economically viable condition.
Conclusion: Here preparation of oxime in a mild basic medium has been reported. Alumina (Al2O3) is pretty cheap and not mentionable hazardous and it has been used here for the first time in synthesis of oxime.
2. DamljanoviÄ‡ I, VukiÄ‡eviÄ‡ M, VukiÄ‡eviÄ‡ RD. A Simple synthesis of oximes. Monatshefte Fur Chem 2006;137:301-5.
3. Sharghi H, Hosseini M. Solvent-free and one-step beckmann rearrangement of ketones and aldehydes by zinc oxide. Synthesis 2002;1057-9. Doi: 10.1055/s-2002-28520. [Article in Press].
4. Rahman MM, Halim ME, Ahmed SM, Akhter K, Romman UKR, Ahmed MG. Studies on the conversion of ketones of heterocyclic spiro compounds having barbituric acid moieties into oxime derivatives. Bangladesh J Sci Ind Res 2013;48(1):7-12.
5. Lad UP, Kulkarni MA, Patil RS. Synthesis of oximes in aqueous medium using hyamine as an ecofriendly catalyst at ambient temperature. Rasayan J Chem 2010;3(3):425-8.
6. Saikia L, Baruah JM, Thakur AJ. A rapid, convenient, solventless green approach for the synthesis of oximes using grindstone chemistry. Org Med Chem Lett 2011;1:12.
7. Beckmann E. Isonitroso compounds. Ber Dtsch Chem Ges 1886;19:988-93.
8. Aghapour G, Amirabadi M. A facile and high efficient synthesis of nitriles from aldoximes and primary amides with a mixture of triphenylphosphine/2, 3-dichloro-5, 6-dicyanobenzoquinone (PPhâ‚ƒ/DDQ) under neutral conditions. Indian J Chem 2007;46B:649-52.
9. Chiang YH. Reaction and mechanism of the chlorination of oximes in commercial chloroform and methylene chloride. J Org Chem 1971;36(15):2146.
10. Smith PA, Robertson JE. Some factors affecting the site of alkylation of oxime salts. J Am Chem Soc 1962;84(7):1197.
11. Dave PR, Forohar F, Axenrod T, Das KK, Qi L, Watnick C, et al. Facile preparation of 3,7-diazabicyclo[3.3.0]octane and 3,7,10-triheterocyclic [3.3.3]propellane ring systems from 1,5-diazacyclooctane 3,7-derivatives. J Org Chem 1996;61(25):8897-903.
12. Shinada T, Yoshihara K. A facile method for the conversion of oximes to ketones and aldehydes by the use of activated MnO2. Tetrahedron Lett 1995;36(37):6701-4.
13. Ley JP, Bertram HJ. Hydroxy-or Methoxy-substituted benzaldoximes and benzaldehyde-O-alkyloximes as tyrosinase inhibitors. Bioorgan Med Chem 2001;9(7):1879-85.