GRADE QUALITY OF PARBOILED MILLED DOMESTIC AND IMPORTED RICE VARIETIES SOLD IN SOUTH-EAST NIGERIA
The objective of this work was to grade the domestic rice varieties and classify them according to Recommended Model Grading System for Marketing Rice in International Trade. Eighteen (18) domestic rice varieties were collected from Enugu (4), Ebonyi (7) and Anambra State (7). Three (3) imported rice varieties coded Ip1, Ip2, and Ip3 were purchased from Ogige market in Nsukka LGA of Enugu state, Nigeria and served as controls. The rice varieties were cleaned manually by winnowing, graded and classified according to Recommended Model Grading System for Marketing Rice in International Trade. Domestic rice varieties from Enugu state were of grade 1 quality excluding Fortin 16 (old variety). Faro 40 (72.33) and Taraba rice (77.33) from Anambra state were of grade 2 quality while R-Bus (81.33), Igboukwu rice (86.67), Aguleri rice (83.67) and B-G (84.67) were of grade 1 quality. Geshua (68.33) from Ebonyi state was of grade 2 quality while Afikpo-Mas (87.33), Abakiliki-Mas (84.33), R-8 (89.33) and 306 (82.67) were of grade 1 quality. All the imported rice varieties (control samples) were of premium quality.Â Omor-Mas (95.33), Akpujie (95.67), kpurukpuru (98.00), and Fortin 16 (old variety) (95.00) were of premium quality and did not differ from the imported rice varieties in grade quality.
1. Anonymous (2014). http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.betuco.be/rijst/Rice%2520Quality.pdf&sa=U&ei=1jZ7U5X6Oq_AygONtYHIBQ&ved=0CB4QFjAH&sig2=ak5F6ENz0N6YQtDhH43_wg&usg=AFQjCNG5A2V2-ckO0swOBFGJHV21hd4Q9g. [Accessed 21 April, 2014].
2. Danbaba, N. Rice grain quality a compendium of evaluation techniques. Food Technology and Value Addition Program, National Cereals Research Institute, Badeggi, Nigeria; 2013
3. Webb DB, Stermer RA. Criteria of rice quality. In: Houston, DF editors. Rice Chemistry and Technology (American Association of Cereal Chemists, Incorporated St. Paul, Minnesota; 1972. pp.102-139.
4. Nkama I, Kassum AL, Jato AAK. Rice processing in Nigeria. Publication of the Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer office, University of Maiduguri, Maiduguri, Nigeria; 2011.
5. Semple RL, Hicks PA, Lozare JV, Castermans A. Towards integrated commodity and pest management in grain storage. http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5048e/x5048e03.htm 1992 [Accessed 20 September, 2014].
6. Steel RGD, Torrie JH. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A biometrical approach. 2nd edition. New york, USA: McGraw-Hill; 1980. pp. 20 â€“90