EFFECT OF MULLIGANâ€™S CALCANEAL TAPING VERSUS KINESIOTAPING IN PLANTAR FASCIITIS
Â Â Â Â To compare the effect of Mulliganâ€™s Calcaneal taping versus kinesiotaping in plantar fasciitis.
Â 44 subjects diagnosed with plantar fasciitis were included in this study. The mean age was 31.93 years.This subjects were allocated by lottery method into 2 groups (group A- Therapeutic Ultrasound, Exercises and Mulliganâ€™s Calcaneal Taping, group B- Therapeutic Ultrasound, Exercises and Kinesio taping). Before and after the treatment protocol the subjects were assessed for pain by VAS and foot function by FFI-R questionnaire. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Pre and post treatment protocol was analysed by using paired and unpaired t test. Intra group analysis of VAS revealed statistically reduction in VAS post intervention for both groups. This was done by using paired â€˜tâ€™ test Group A(p<0.0001),Group B(p<0.0001). Intra group analysis of total (FFI-R) revealed statistically reduction in (FFI-R)Â scoreÂ post intervention for both groups. This was done by using paired â€˜tâ€™ test Group A(p<0.0001),Group B(p<0.0001).
Mulliganâ€™s Calcaneal Taping was more effective than KinesiotapingÂ in reducing VAS and FFI-R scoreÂ Â in subject with Plantar fasciitis.
Plantar fasciitis,Mulliganâ€™s Calcaneal Taping , Kinesiotaping, VAS, FFI-R
2. May T, Judy T, Conti M, Cowan J. Current Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis. Current Sports Medicine Reports 2002; 1:278-84.
3. Dyck D, Boyajian-Oâ€™Neill L. Plantar Fasciitis. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine 2004; 14(5):305-309.
4. Cole C, Seto C, Gazewood J. Plantar Fasciitis: Evidence-Based Review of Diagnosis and Therapy. American Family Physician 2005; 72(11):2237-42.
5. Roxas M. Plantar Fasciitis:diagnosis and therapeutic considerations. Alternative Medicine Review 2005; 10(2):83-93.
6. Scherer PR. Heel spur syndrome. Pathomechanics and nonsurgical treatment. Biomechanics Graduate Research Group for 1988. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1991;81:68-72.
7. Kibler WB, Goldberg C, Chandler TJ. Functional biomechanical deficits in running athletes with plantar fasciitis. Am J Sports Med 1991;19:66-71.
8. Taunton JE, Ryan MB, Clement DB, McKenzie DC, Lloyd-Smith DR, Zumbo BD. A retrospective case-control analysis of 2002 running injuries. Br J Sports Med 2002;36:95-101.
9. Irving DB, Cook JL, Menz HB. Factors associated with chronic plantar heel pain: a systematic review. J Sci Med Sport 2006;9:11-22.
10. . Kwong PK, Kay D, Voner RT, White MW. Plantar fasciitis. Mechanics and pathomechanics of treatment. Clin Sports Med 1988;7:119-26.
11. Shama SS, Kominsky SJ, Lemont H. Prevalence of non-painful heel spur and its relation to postural foot position. J Am Podiatry Assoc 1983;73:122-3.
12. Matthew j. Takeuchi, myron l. Hall, dpm, biomechanics and plantar fasciitis:a radiographic study, chapter 50.
13. Gregory A. Sawyer MD,Craig R. Larean,MD, and Jon A.Mukand,MD,PhD. Diagnosis and management of heel and plantar foot pain. Volume 95 N0.4 April 2012.
14. Kwong P, Kay D Plantar fasciitis: Mechanics & Pathomechanics of Treatment Clin. Sports Med. 1988; 7:1.
15. Mulligan B Mulligan Concept Manual therapy 2010; sixth edition: 119.
16. Kase K, Hashimoto T, Okane T: Kinesio Perfect Taping Manual: Amazing Taping Therapy to Eliminate Pain and Muscle Disorders. Kinesio Taping Association, 1998.
17. Higgins P .Common Clinical Treatment of Plantar Fasciitis: A survey of physical therapists practicing in the north east region of the United States. J. Nov. Physiother. 2012; 2:8:1000120
18. Hayes BT, Merrick MA. Three MHz ultrasound heats deeper into thetissues than originally theorized .J. Athl. Train. 2004;39:230-234.
19. Gallo JA, Draper DO. A comparison of human muscle temperature increases during 3 MHz continuous & pulsed Ultrasound with equivalent temporal average intensities. J. Orthop. Sports. Phys. Ther2004; 395-401.
20. Rose S, Draper DO. The stretching Window Part Two: Rate of thermal decay in deep muscle following 1 MHz ultrasound. J. Athl. Train.1996; 31:139-143.
21. Draper DO, Castel JC. Rate of temperature increase in human muscle during 1 MHz & 3 MHz continuous ultrasound. J. Orthop. Sports. Phys. Ther.1995; 142-150.
22. Shrier I, Gossal K Myths & truths of stretching: individualized recommendations for healthy muscles Physcian Sports Med. 2000; 28:57-61.
23. Hyland M, Webber-Gaffney A: Randomized controlled trial of calcaneal taping, sham taping, and plantar fascia stretching for the short-term management of plantar heel pain. J. Orthop Sports Phys. Ther. 2006; 36(6):364-371.
24. Chien-Tsung Tsai et al. Effects of Short-term Treatment with Kinesiotaping
for Plantar Fasciitis. Journal of Musculoskeletal Pain 2010; Vol. 18(1).
25. Riddle DL, Pulisic M, Pidcoe P, Johnson RE. risk factors for plantar fasciitis: a matched case-control study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003 85: 872-7.
26. SonalSubhash Agrawal* and Mangala G. Deshpande. Effectiveness of Mulliganâ€™s taping for the short term management of plantar heel pain â€“ Randomized control trial. International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research 2015; 6(07): 531-536.
27. Erdemir A, Hamel AJ, Fauth AR, Piazza SJ, Sharkey NA. Dynamic loading of the plantar aponeurosis in walking. J Bone Joint Surg ,2004 ;86: 546â€“552.
28. Lin YL: Therapeutic kinesiotaping. PT NEWS,ROC, Taiwan 94:,26â€“28, 2005.