ACUTE TOXICITY OF CHLORANTRANILIPROLE TO FRESH WATER FISH CTENOPHARINGODON IDELLA (VALENCIENNES, 1844)
Pesticidal pollution constitutes the most dangerous health hazard apart from creating adverse effects on fish production .The aim of the present study was to determine the acute toxicity of chlorantraniliprole to the fresh water fish Grass carp (Ctenopharingodon idella), experimental fish were exposed to different concentrations of chlorantraniliprole. The 96h LC50 value of chlorantraniliprole on the fish was found to be 11.008mg/l. The variation in the LC values is due to its dependence upon various factors viz., sensitivity to the toxicant, its concentration and duration of exposure. Increase in opercular movement was initially observed but later decreased with increase of exposure period. They slowly became lethargic, restless, and secreted excess mucus all over the body. Intermittently some of the fish were hyper excited resulting in erratic movements. An excess secretion of mucous in fish forms a non-specific response against toxicants, thereby probably reducing toxicant contact. Further study needs the processes by which these chemicals affect physiology and pathological changes and of fish and their bio-concentration and bio- accumulation in fish tissues.
Key words: Health hazard, concentration, LC values, bioconcentration and physiology
2. Pandey, S., Kumar, R,.Sharma, S,.Nagpure, N.S, Srivastava, S.K, and M.S. Verma. Acute toxicity bioassays of mercuric chloride and Malathion on air- breathing Fish Channa punctatus (Bloch). Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety2005; 61:114-120.
3. American Public Health Association (APHA).American Water Works Association (AWWA) and Water Environment Federation (WEF), Washington DC 2005; USA.
4. Edwards, C.A. Environmental pollution by pesticides. Ed. C.A. Edwards. Plenum Press 1973; 542 pp.
5. Finney DJ. Probit analysis 3ed. Cambridge University Press1971.
6. Eggen R, Behra R, Burkhardt -Holm P, Escher BI,and Schweigert N .Challenges in Ecotoxicology. Environ. Sci. Techno2004;38:59Aâ€“64A
7. Gilliom R J. Pesticides in U.S. streams and groundwater. Environ. Sci. Techno 2007; 41: 3407â€“3413.
8. Thorpe KL, Cummings, R. I., Hutchinson, T. H., Scholze, M., Brighty, G, and Sumter, J. P. Relative potencies and combination effects of steroidal estrogens in fish. Environ. Sci. Techno 2003, 37: 1142â€“1149.
9. Chambers JE, and Yarbrough J.D. Parathion and methyl parathion toxicity to insecticide-resistant and susceptible mosquito fish (Gambusia affinis). Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol 1974; 11:315.
10. Inbamani N, and Sreenivasan, R. Effect phosphamidon toxicity and pesticidal Histopathology of the fish Sarotherodon mossambica. J. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Mont 1998;8: 85-95.
11. Hassanein H MA, Okail HA. and Mohamed NK.Biochemical changes in proteins and DNA in due to environmental Ctenopharyngodon idella pollution with the biopesticide (Trilogy). 10 ICCA, Garyounis University, Benghazi, Libya: 2007; 18-21.
12. Adedeji. OB, A Oadedeji OK, Adeyemo SA, And Agbede. Acute toxicity of diazinon to African catfish (Clarias gariepinus). African Journal of Biotechnol 2008;7: 651-654.
13. Barbee GC, MC, Clain WR, Lanka SK and Stout MJ. Acute toxicity of chlorantraniliprole to non- target crayfish (Procambarus clarkii) associated with rice- crayfish cropping systems. Pest managemen science 2010;66:996-1001.
14. Mathivanan, R. Effects of sublethal concentration of Quinolphos on selected respiratory and biochemical parameters in the freshwater fish Oreochromis mossambicus. J. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Moni 2004; 14: 57-64.
15. Dembele K, Haubruge E, and Gaspar, C. Concentration effects of selected insecticides on brain acetylcholinesterase in the common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 200;45: 49-54.
16. Timchalk C, Nolan RJ, Mendrala AL, Dittenber DA, Brzak KA, and Mattsson JL. A physiologically based pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic (PBPK/PD) model for the organophosphate insecticide chlorpyrifos in rats and humans. Toxicol Sci 2002; 66(1):34â€“53.
17. Rao JV. Toxic effects of novel organophosphorus insecticide (RPR-V) on certain biochemical parameters of euryhaline fish, Oreochromis mossambicus. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology 2006;86: 78-84.
18. Shivakumar R, Kuri R.C, Mushigeri,B,and David M. Effect of Endosulfan to freshwater fish, Ctenopharyngodon idellus. J. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Moni 2005; 15:113-116.
19. David M, and Shivakumar R, Mushiger SB, and Kuri RC. Blood glucose and glycogen levels as indicators of stress in the freshwater fish, Labeo rohita under fenvalerate intoxication. J. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Monit 2005; 15: 01-05
20. David M, ShivakumarR, Mushigeri SB, and Kuri RC. Blood glucose and glycogen levels as indicators of stress in the freshwater fish, Labeo rohita under fenvalerate intoxication. J. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Monit 2005;15: 01-05.
21. Rao JV, Begum G, Pallela G, Usman PK, and Rao RN. Changes in behavior and brain acetylcholinesterase activity in mosquito fish Gambusia affinis in relation to sublethal exposure of chlorpyrifos.Int.J.Environ.Res.PublicHealth 2005;34:478-483.