ANTIMICROBIAL POTENTIAL OF BIOSYNTHESIZED SILVER NANOPARTICLE AGAINST HUMAN PATHOGEN PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA AND KLEBSIELLA PNEUMONIAE
Â Objectives: The main objective of this investigation was to evaluate the potential of water extract from pteridophytes (Adiantum raddianum, Acrostichum aureum, and Christella dentata) in synthesizing silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) through eco-friendly routes and accessing their antibacterial activity.
Methods: Water extract from pteridophytes (A. raddianum, A. aureum, and C. dentata) was used for synthesizing AgNPs. AgNPs formation was confirmed from the plasmonic absorbance spectra. Antimicrobial potential of synthesized particles was evaluated against human bacterial pathogens Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus species, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Escherichia coli. The results were statistically validated using two-way ANOVA. Most active AgNPs were characterized using high-resolution transmission electron microscopy to access the morphology and size.
Results: Water extract from the pteridophytes is capable of synthesizing AgNPs through green synthetic routes. AgNPs synthesized using water extract from A. raddianum showed a significant activity against P. aeruginosa followed by K. pneumoniae. These AgNPs possessed spherical morphology with size ranging between 10 and 20 nm.
Conclusion: Novel bioactive formulations, particularly effective against P. aeruginosa and K. pneumoniae, can be developed through eco-friendly methods using water extract of A. raddianum
2. Li X, Xu H, Chen ZS, Chen G. Biosynthesis of nanoparticles by microorganisms and their applications. J Nanomater 2011;2011:1-16.
3. Prashob PK, Kala KJ, Chandramohanakumar N. Cytotoxic potential of humic acid synthesized silver nano plates against daltonâ€™s lymphoma ascites. Int J Toxicol Pharm Res 2016;8:425-9.
4. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic Au core-Ag shell nanoparticles using neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:496-502.
5. Chandran SP, Chaudhary M, Pasricha R, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Synthesis of gold nanotriangles and silver nanoparticles using aloeveraplant extract. Biotechnol Prog 2006;22:577-83.
6. Park Y. New paradigm shift for the green synthesis of antibacterial silver nanoparticles utilizing plant extracts. Toxicol Res 2014;30:169-78.
7. Kowshik M, Ashtaputre S, Kharrazi S, Vogel W, Urban J, Kulkarni SK, et al. Extracellular synthesis of silver nanoparticles by a silver-tolerant yeast strain MKY3. Nanotechnology 2002;14:95-100.
8. Chandrappa CP, Chandrasekar N, Govindappa M, Chaitra S, Uttam KS, Jayashri M. Antibacterial activity of synthesized silver nanoparticles by Simarouba glauca against pathogenic bacteria. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:19-22.
9. Parijat P, Mandeep D. A brief review on inorganic nanoparticles. J Crit Rev 2016;3:18-26.
10. Firdhouse MJ, Lalitha P. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using the aqueous extract of Portulaca oleracea (L.). Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;6:92-4.
11. Renugadevi K, Aswini V, Raji P. Microwave irradiation assisted synthesis of silver nanoparticle using leaf extract of Baliospermum montanum and evaluation of its antimicrobial, anticancer potential activity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:283-7.
12. Deepak KR, Aruna SP, Vishal T. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from fungal root endophytes of Sida acuta plant and evaluation of their antibacterial and antibiotic enhancing activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:160-6.
13. Subbiah M, Sundaresan B, Vajiravelu S. Green synthesis, characterization of silver nanoparticles of a marine red alga Spyridia fusiformis and their antibacterial activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:84-8.
14. Princy KF, Manomi S, Philip R, Gopinath A. Antibacterial and catalytic efficacy of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles using marine seaweed Padina tetrasromatica. Nano Biomed Eng 2016;8:16-23.
15. Elizabath A, Mythili S, Sathiavelu A. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from the medicinal plant Bauhinia acuminata and Biophytum sensitivum-a comparative study of its biological activities with plant extract. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:22-9.
16. Song JY, Kim BS. Rapid biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plant leaf extracts. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 2009;32:79-84.
17. Silva GB, Ionashiro M, Carrara TB, Crivellari AC, TinÃ© MA, Prado J, et al. Cell wall polysaccharides from fern leaves: Evidence for a mannan-rich Type III cell wall in Adiantum raddianum. Phytochemestry 2011;72:2352-60.
18. Thomas A, Prashob PK, Chandramohanakumar N. A profiling of anti-tumour potential of sterols in the mangrove fern Acrostichum aureum. Int J Pharm Phytochem Res 2016;8:1828-32.
19. Chai TT, Yeoh LY, Ismail NI, Ong HC, Wong FC. Cytotoxicity and antiglucosidase potential of six selected edible and medicinal ferns. Acta Pol Pharm 2015;72:397-401.
20. Kalainila P, Subha V, Ravindran RS, Sahadevan R. Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles from Erythrin aindica. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:39-43.
21. Morones J, Elechiguerra J, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri J, Ramirez J, et al. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
22. Kala KJ, Prashob PK, Chandramohanakumar N. Analysis of antimicrobial potential of silver nanoparticles synthesized by fucoidan isolated from Turbinaria conoides. Int J Pharm Phytochem Res 2016;8:1959-63.
23. Sambhy V, MacBride MM, Peterson BR, Sen A. Silver bromide nanoparticle/polymer composites: Dual action tunable antimicrobial materials. J Am Chem Soc 2006;128:9798-808.
24. Wei D, Sun W, Qian W, Ye Y, Ma X. The synthesis of chitosan-based silver nanoparticles and their antibacterial activity. Carbohydr Res 2009;344:2375-82.
25. Ali P, Rouhollah S. Silver nanoparticles with gelatin nanoshells: Photochemical facile green synthesis and their antimicrobial activity. J Nanopart Res 2011;13:4647-58.
26. Lok CN, Ho CM, Chen R, He QY, Yu WY, Sun H, et al. Proteomic analysis of the mode of antibacterial action of silver nanoparticles. J Proteome Res 2006;5:916-24.
27. Shrivastava S, Bera T, Roy A, Singh G, Ramachandrarao P, Dash D. Characterization of enhanced antibacterial effects of novel silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2007;18:225103-11.