Pomegranate as an Curative Therapy in Medical and Dental Sciences: A review
Pomegranate (Punica granatum L), in addition to its ancient historical uses, has been used in several systems of medicine for a variety of ailments. Pomegranate juice is a polyphenol-rich juice with high antioxidant capacity pomegranate consumption possesses a diverse array of biological actions and may be helpful in the prevention of some inflammatory mediated diseases, including cancer. In the past decade, numerous studies on the antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, and anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate constituents, focusing on treatment and prevention of cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, dental conditions . Currently, numerous clinical trials are in progress exploring the therapeutic potential of pomegranate extracts.
2. Jain S, Rai R, Upadhyaya AR , Malhotra G. Punica Granatum: A Natural And Recent Approach Towards Dental Problem. Int J Pharm Res Sci 2014;02:1-6.
3. Bhandari PR. Pomegranate (Punica granatum L). Ancient seeds for modern cure? Review of potential therapeutic applications. Int J Nutr Pharmacol Neurol Dis 2012;2:171-84.
4. Gil MI, TomÃ¡s-BarberÃ¡n FA, Hess-Pierce B, Holcroft DM, Kader AA. Antioxidant activity of pomegranate juice and its relationship with phenolic composition and processing. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48:4581-9.
5. Guo C, Wei J, Yang J, Xu J, Pang W, Jiang Y. Pomegranate juice is potentially better than apple juice in improving antioxidant function in elderly subjects. Nutr Res 2008;28:72-7.
6. Pantuck AJ, Leppert JT, Zomorodian N, Aronson W, Hong J, Barnard RJ, et al. Phase II study of pomegranate juice for men with rising prostate-specific antigen following surgery or radiation for prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12:4018-26.
7. Ahmed S, Wang N, Hafeez BB, Cheruvu VK, Haqqi TM.Punica granatum L. extract inhibits IL-1beta-induced expression of matrix metalloproteinases by inhibiting the activation of MAP kinases and NF-kappaB in human chondrocytes in vitro. J Nutr 2005;135:2096-102.
8. Aviram M, Dornfeld L.Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atherosclerosis 2001;158:195-8
9. Sumner MD, Elliott-Eller M, Weidner G, Daubenmier JJ, Chew MH, Marlin R,et al. Effects of pomegranate juice consumption on myocardial perfusion in patients with coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol 2005;96:810-4
10. Rosenblat M, Hayek T, Aviram M. Anti-oxidative effects of pomegranate juice (PJ) consumption by diabetic patients on serum and on macrophages. Atherosclerosis 2006;187:363-71.
11. Voravuthikunchai SP, Limsuwan S. Medicinal plant extracts as anti-Escherichia coli O157:H7 agents and their effects on bacterial cell aggregation. J Food Prot 2006;69:2336-41.
12. Menezes SM, Cordeiro LN, Viana GS. Punica granatum (pomegranate) extract is active against dental plaque. J Herb Pharmacother 2006;6:79-92
13. Somu CA, Ravindra S, Ajith S, Ahamed MG. Efficacy of a herbal extract gel in the treatment of gingivitis: A clinical study. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2012;3:85-90.
14. DiSilvestro RA, DiSilvestro DJ, DiSilvestro DJ. Pomegranate extract mouth rinsing effects on saliva measures relevant to gingivitis risk. Phytother Res 2009;23:1123-7.
15. Howell AB, D'Souza DH. The pomegranate: effects on bacteria and viruses that influence human health. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013;2013:606212. doi: 10.1155/2013/606212. Epub 2013 May 20.
16. Sastravaha G, Yotnuengnit P, Booncong P, Sangtherapitikul P. Adjunctive periodontal treatment with Centella asiatica and Punica granatum extracts. A preliminary study. J Int Acad Periodontol 2003;5:106-15.
17. Sastravaha G, Gassmann G, Sangtherapitikul P, Grimm WD. Adjunctive periodontal treatment with Centella asiatica and Punica granatum extracts in supportive periodontal therapy. J Int Acad Periodontol 2005;7:70-9.
18. Vasconcelos LC, Sampaio MC, Sampaio FC, Higino JS. Use of Punica granatum as an antifungal agent against candidosis associated with denture stomatitis. Mycoses 2003;46:192-6.