A Case report of lithium carbonate induced nephrogenic Diabetes insipidus
Depressive mania is a mood swinging disorder, with clinical symptoms of depression followed by mania a schizophrenic like symptoms is medically handled by Experienced Psychiatrician on the basis of patient symptoms.
A case of dermatological blackish mark on periorbital region and facial roughness with diabetes insipidus like symptomaticside effects, patient exasperated by the symptoms came to (out patient department)OPD for the treatment of aforementioned symptoms, after 2 years of medication by lithosun 300mg. We report a case of an middle aged 44 years male who progressively developed diabetic alike symptoms , apparently as a side effect from treatment with lithium carbonate. All symptoms completely resolved on discontinuation of lithium carbonate (Lithosun).
Middle age, more than yearly duration of lithium carbonate treatment, though minimal dose of lithosun treatment for its therapeutic value may be risk factors for its side effects. Implications for clinician is very important to note this side effect in BPAD (Bipolar affective disorder)to these groups of patients.
2. 2.Chouinard G1.The use of benzodiazepines in the treatment of manic-depressive illness.J Clin Psychiatry 1988 ;49 Suppl:15-20.
3. Holroyd S, Smith D.Disabling parkinsonism due to lithium: a case report. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 1995 ;8(2):118-9.
4. 4.Hege S. Blix, Kirsten K. Viktil, Tron A. Moger, and Aasmund Reikvam. Drugs with narrow therapeutic index as indicators in the risk management of hospitalised patients.Pharm Pract (Granada) 2010 ; 8(1): 50â€“55.
5. 5.Ernst FR, Grizzle AJ. Drug-related morbidity and mortality: updating the cost-of-illness model. J Am Pharm Assoc 2001;41:192â€“199.
6. Winterstein AG, Sauer BC, Hepler CD, Poole C. Preventable drug-related hospital admissions. Ann Pharmacother 2002;36:1238â€“1248.
7. Patel P, Zed PJ. Drug-related visits to the emergency department: how big is the problem? Pharmacotherapy 2002;22:915â€“923.
8. Goodman, Gilman's . Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. 11. Ed. Chapter 1. The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc; 2005. The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. ISBN:0-07-142280-3.
9. Budnitz DS, Shehab N, Kegler SR, Richards CL. Medication use leading to emergency department visits for adverse drug events in older adults. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:755â€“765.