CONDUCTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF LOSARTAN POTASSIUM USING PHOSPHOTUNGSTIC ACID, BROMOCRESOL PURPLE, MERCURY (II) CHLORIDE, AND CUPRIC CHLORIDE AS REAGENTS
Objectives: In the current study a simple and precise four conductometric methods were introduced for determination of Losartan Potassium (LK) in pure form and tablets.
Methods: Method A is based on titration of LK using phosphotungstic acid, method B is based on titration of LK using bromocresol purple dye, method C is based on titration of LK using mercury (II) chloride, and method D is based on titration of LK using cupric chloride.
Results: LK was found to be linear in the concentration range of 3–20 mg/mL for all methods except for method C, the concentration range was 1–12 mg/mL. The obtained percentage recoveries for the four methods ranged from 99.69% to 100.53%; the relative standard deviation values were not exceeding two for all methods.
Conclusion: The suggested methods were successfully applied for the determination of LK in tablets, with results in close agreement at 95% confidence level with those obtained using the reference spectrophotometric method.
2. Her Majesty’s Stationery Office. The British Pharmacopoeia. Vol. 3. London, UK: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office; 2013.
3. Subbarao J, Rao DP, Vidyadhara DS, Rao B, Sasidhar R. UV spectrophotometic validation for identification and determination of losartan potassium in tablets. Int J Pharm Tech 2012;4:4137-43.
4. Latheeshjlal L, Parthiban P, Alagarsamy V, Sunil M, Vaidhya MJ, Rama MT. Spectrophotometric determination of losartan potassium and itsdosage form by bromothymolblue and phosphate buffer. E J Chem 2010; 7:320-4.
5. Ahmed S, Karajgi S, Simpi C, Savita S, Kalyane N. Visible spectrophotometricmethods for the estimation of Losartan potassium and omeprazole in single component pharmaceutical formulations. Inter J Pharm Tech Res2009;1:1247-50.
6. Darwish IA. Analyticalstudy for the charge-transfer complexes of losartan potassium. Anal Chim Acta 2005;549:212-20.
7. Amir F, Sahar K, Bakhshali M, Mehdi J. Determination of losartan potassium in the presence of hydrochlorothiazide via a combination of magneticsolid phase extraction and fluorometry techniques in urine samples. RSC Adv 2015;5:102895-903.
8. Rao K, Srinivas K. RP-HPLC method for the determination of losartan potassium and ramipril in combined dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010; 72:108-11.
9. Hafez HM, Abdullah AE, Abdelaziz LM, Kamal MM. Quantitative determination of amlodipine besylate, losartan potassium, valsartan and atorvastatin calcium by HPLC in their pharmaceutical formulations. J Chromatogr Sep Techn 2014;5:1-5.
10. Shah H, Kundlik M, Patel N, Subbaiah G, Patel D, Suhagia B, et al. Rapiddetermination of losartan and losartanacid in human plasma by multiplexed LC-MS/MS. J Sep Sci 2009;32:3388-94.
11. Sathe S, Bari S. Simultaneous analysis of losartan potassium, atenolol, and hydrochlorothiazide in bulk and in tablets by high-performance thin-layer chromatography with UV absorption densitometry. Acta Chromatogr 2007;19:270-8.
12. Quaglia MG, Donati E, Carlucci G, Mazzeo P, Fanali S. Determination of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets by CE and CEC. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;29:981-7.
13. Magda A, Hisham A, Mervat H, Nagla K. Conductometric determination of certain pharmacological drugs using silver and bismuth. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2013;3:140-8.
14. Rossini P, Felix F, Angnes L. A simple and precise conductometric method for the determination of losartan in pharmaceutical products. Cen Eur J Chem 2012;10:1842-9.
15. Ikram J, Jamel EB. Development of a new potentiometric modified carbon paste electrode for losartan potassium determination in pharmaceutical formulations. Anal Chem Indian J 2015;15:311-8.
16. Issa YM, Shoukry AF, El-Nashar RM. Conductimetric determination of reproterol HCl and pipazethate HCl and salbutamol sulphate in their pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2001;26:379-86.
17. El-Nashar RM, Rizk MS, Abdel-Ghani NT, Hamed SM. Flow-injection potentiometric and conductometric determination of papaverine hydrochloride in the parent substance and a related pharmaceutical preparation. Pharm Chem J 2007;41:447-54.
18. Khaled E, Hassan HA, Mohamed GG, Ragab FA, Seleim AA. Conductometric determination of dextromethorphan hydrobromide. Anal Chem 2011;10:134-40.
19. Kostebelov NV, Shormanov VK, Prokopov AA, Berlyand AS. Spectrophotometric estimation of mebikar. Pharm Chem J 2000; 34:623 4.
20. Safwan A, Mouhammed K, Ruba M. Extractive spectrophotometric and conductometric methods fordetermination of fexofenadine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Pharm Anal Acta 2013; S2:1-6.
21. Amin SA, Saleh HM, Ragah GH, Kamel IS. Sensitive spectrophotometric and conductometric methods for determination of candesartan using bromocresol green and bromocresol purple by ion pair complex formation. J Chem Mat Res 2015;2:42-8.
22. Doane LM, Stock JT. Determination of thiols by conductometric titration withmercury (II) chloride in water and in N,N- dimethylformamide. Anal Chem 1978;50:1891-5.
23. Lourencao B, Marcolino-junior LH, Fatibello-filho O. Conductometric determination of captopril in pharmaceutical formulations usingcopper(II) sulphate as titrant. Quím Nova 2008;31:349-52.
24. Anis SM, Hosny MM, Abdellatef HE, El-Bolkiny MN. Spectroscopic and conductometric analysis of gabapentin. E J Chem 2011;8:1784-96.
25. Lingane JJ. Electroanalytical Chemistry. 2nd ed. New York: Interscience; 1958. p. 90.
26. Vosburg WC, Cooper GR. Complex Ions. I. The identification of complex ions in solution by spectrophotometric measurements. J Am Chem Soc 1941;63:437-42.
27. Guidance for Industry: Q2B of Analytical Procedures; Methodololgy: International Conference of Harmonization (ICH); 1996.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.