CHRONIC LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIA DIAGNOSED BY PRIMARY CUTANEOUS LESION
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is a malignant, low-grade, monoclonal disorder characterized by the accumulation of lymphocytes with variable clinical features. Cutaneous manifestations or leukemia cutis are non-specific, uncommon presentations of CLL and can present in many different ways. In this case report, we discuss a 76-year-old male who presented with skin lesions of the lower limbs and severe itching. Due to the lack of response to the treatment with topical corticosteroids, initial tests were carried out. Complete blood count results indicated lymphocytosis. Eventually Ultimately, the skin lesions led to the diagnosis of CLL. The patient was treated with bendamustine-rituximab (BR). After receiving the treatment, all cutaneous manifestations and generalized itching disappeared. This case highlights the importance of comparing similar cases of CLL presented with dermatological conditions in order to to understand proper management and practice.
2. Mikaelsson E. Towards New Therapeutic Targets: Identification of Novel Tumor Markers in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Solna, Sweden: Karolinska University; 2010.
3. S?omiak-W?sik A, Ja?owska M, Iwanik K, ?aba R, Adamski Z. Erythrodermic psoriasis de novo versus skin lesions in chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. Adv Dermatol Allergol 2020;37:277-9.
4. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2016. CA Cancer J Clin 2016;66:7-30.
5. Siegel RS, Gartenhaus RB, Kuzel TM. Human T-cell lymphotropic-I-associated leukemia/lymphoma. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2001;2:291-300.
6. Ziemer M, Bornkessel A, Hahnfeld S, Weyers W. ‘Specific’ cutaneous infiltrate of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia at the site of a florid herpes simplex infection. J Cutan Pathol 2005;32:581-4.
7. Cerroni L, Zenahlik P, Höfler G, Kaddu S, Smolle J, Kerl H. Specific cutaneous infiltrates of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia: A clinicopathologic and prognostic study of 42 patients. Am J Surg Pathol 1996;20:1000-10.
8. Aldapt MB, Yassin MA. Leukemia cutis as an early presentation or relapsing manifestation of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL): Leukemia cutis in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Acta Biomed 2021;92:e2021192.
9. Lu C, Li L, Qiao Q, Liu G, Fang L. Cutaneous manifestations in a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia involving the head, neck and distal extremities. Exp Ther Med 2015;9:877-9.
10. Raufi A, Alsharedi M, Khelfa Y, Griswold DC, Lebowicz Y. Leukemia cutis in a patient with chronic lymphocytic leukemia presenting as bilateral helical nodules. SAGE Open Med Case Rep 2016;4:2050313X16683624.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.