THE VIRTUAL LIBRARY PROJECTS IN NIGERIA PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES: THE CASE STUDY OF FOUNTAIN UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, OSOGBO.
Fountain University was granted an operational license as a Private University on May 17, 2007 by the Federal Government on the recommendations of the National Universities Commission. Following this achievement, a Fountain Universities Strategic implementation Committee was set up to serve as â€œin loco Councilâ€ to actualize the birth of the University. Fountain university library fit into the word of innovation by encouraging Information and Communication Technology. This paper reported how effort was been made by Fountain university library, Osogbo, the various challenges and the actualization of the virtual library. Among the challenges are as follows: erratic power supply, this is a national problem which regards the choice Fountain university, Osogbo; computer systems are capital intensive and need funds to keep the project going, shortage of managerial and technical expertise in Nigeria must be addressed, there is need for greater commitment within academic circles by librarians to undertake training and retraining in computer literacy, copyright holders have to be contacted and rights obtained.Â And the future plans: there is still much to be done on virtual library in Fountain University Library.
1. Adeniran. P. (2014). The Challenges of Successful Implementation of virtual Libraries in Academic Libraries in Nigeria. International Journal of Academic Library and Information Science, 2(4): 46-50 http://www.academicresearchjournals.org/IJALIS/Index.htm
2. Ani, O. (2013). Accessibility and utilization of electronic information resources for research and its effect on the productivity of academic staff in selected Nigerian Universities between 2005 and 2012. PhD. Thesis, Information Science, University of South Africa.
3. Atinmo, M. (2006) â€œRestructuring Nigerian Library through Resource Sharing in Cataloguing and Classificationâ€ In Resource Sharing in Cataloguing, Bibliographic and Indexing Services in an ICT Age: A Compendium of Papers presented at the 26th Annual Conference of the Cataloguing and Classification Section of the Nigerian Library Association held in Abeokuta, Ogun state, October 29-November 3, 2006.
4. Gani E. and Magoi J. S. (2014). The emergence of digital libraries services in northwest Nigerian universities: challenges and prospects. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3071&context=libphilprac
5. Gapen, D.K. (2007). The virtual library: knowledge society and the Libraries. Available: wwwhaworthpress.com/store/E-text/view
6. IFLA/UNESCO Manifesto for Digital Libraries http://www.ifla.org/publications/iflaunesco-manifesto-for-digital-libraries
7. Li, X and Furht, B. (2014). Design and Implementation of Digital Libraries retrieved from www.cse.fau.edu/borlo/chpter18ic.pdf.nd accessed 0n 31/12/2017
8. Makhanya, M. S. 2014. Domestic trends in distance education: threats and opportunities discussion on the launch of the new white paper of higher education. http://www.unisa.ac.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PROF-MS-MAKHANYAwhite-paper-discussion-7-February-2014-2-final.pdf
9. Makhanya, M. S. 2014. Domestic trends in distance education: threats and opportunities discussion on the launch of the new white paper of higher education. http://www.unisa.ac.za/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/PROF-MS-MAKHANYAwhite-paper-discussion-7-February-2014-2-final.pdf
10. MISHRA R. K. (2016). Digital libraries: definitions, issues, and challenges. Innovare Journal of Education, Vol 4, Issue 3, 2016, p.2
11. Ogunsola L. A. (2011). The Next Step in Librarianship: Is The Traditional Library Dead? Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal). http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1638&context=libphilprac
12. Okiy R.O. (2010). Globalization and ICT in academic libraries in Nigeria: the way forward. Library Philosophy and practice. http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu. /~mbolin/okiy.htm
13. Trivedi M (2010). Digital libraries: Functionality, Usability, and Accessibility. Library Philosophy and Practices 2010 ISSN 1522-0222.
14. Trivedi, M. (2010). Digital Libraries: Functionality, Usability and Accessibility. Library Philosophy and Practice. http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/-mbolintrivedi- diglib.htm