RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH NEURODEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS IN HIGH SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS FAMILIES: BRIEF INDIAN ANALYSIS
Keywords:Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Children, Typically developing, Socioeconomic status
This study seeks to identify parental prenatal, perinatal and postnatal risk factors of Neurodevelopmental Disorders (NDD) in comparison to Typically Developing (TD) children, all from high Socioeconomic Status (SES) families. A unified definition of NDD in terms of delays in development was employed for the purpose of this study. SES was understood as an important variable in the context of NDD. We employed a cross-sectional/comparative two-group survey design. It included parents of 60 children: 32 children with NDD and 28 children with TD. The developmental assessment was conducted for all the children for their classification into NDD and TD groups. Results depicted significant differences in the family history of mental illness or NDD, perinatal factors rather than prenatal and postnatal factors. On measures of association and variance, composite perinatal factors were observed to have a small effect on NDD, while the pre and postnatal showed a negligible impact. The interpretation and its application for improving the prevalence of NDD in high SES families in an Indian urban set-up were discussed.
• Anonymous (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC, USA: American Psychiatric Association. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
• Anello, A., Reichenberg, A., Luo, X., Schmeidler, J., Hollander, E., Smith, C. J., Puleo, C. M., Kryzak, L. A., & Silverman, J. M. (2009). Brief report: parental age and the sex ratio in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39(10), 1487–1492. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-009-0755-y
• Arora, N. K., Nair, M. K. C., Gulati, S., Deshmukh, V., Mohapatra, A., Mishra, D., Patel, V., Pandey, R. M., Das, B. C., Divan, G., Murthy, G. V. S., Sharma, T. D., Sapra, S., Aneja, S., Juneja, M., Reddy, S. K., Suman, P., Mukherjee, S. B., Dasgupta, R., ... Vajaratkar, V. (2018). Neurodevelopmental disorders in children aged 2–9 years: Population-based burden estimates across five regions in India. PLOS Medicine, 15(7), e1002615. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002615
• Bitta, M., Kariuki, S. M., Abubakar, A., & Newton, C. R. J. C. (2018). Burden of neurodevelopmental disorders in low and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Wellcome Open Research, 2. https://doi.org/10.12688/wellcomeopenres.13540.3
• Census (2011a). Population enumeration data. Retrieved June 22, 2020, from https://censusindia.gov.in/pca/cdb_pca_census/Houselisting-housing-Kar.html
• Census (2011b). A presentation of maternal and child mortality and total fertility rates (07-07-2011). Retrieved June 22, 2020, from https://censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/SRS_Bulletins/MMR_release_070711.pdf
• Chattopadhyay, N., & Mitra, K. (2015). Neurodevelopmental outcome of high-risk newborns discharged from special care baby units in a rural district India. Journal of Public Health Research, 4(1), 7-12. https://doi.org/10.4081/jphr.2015.318
• Chin-Lun Hung, G., Hahn, J., Alamiri, B., Buka, S. L., Goldstein, J. M., Laird, N., … Gilman, S. E. (2015b). Socioeconomic disadvantage and neural development from infancy through early childhood. International Journal of Epidemiology, 44(6), 1889–1899. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyv303
• De Felice, A., Ricceri, L., Venerosi, A., Chiarotti, F., & Calamandrei, G. (2015). Multifactorial origin of neurodevelopmental disorders: approaches to understanding complex etiologies. Toxics, 3(1), 89–129. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxics3010089
• Geetha, B., Sukumar, C., Dhivyadeepa, E., Reddy, J. K., & Balachandar, V. (2019). Autism in India: A case-control study to understand the association between socioeconomic and environmental risk factors. Acta Neurologica Belgica, 119(3), 393–401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13760-018-01057-4
• Golmirzaei, J., Namazi, S., Amiri, S., Zare, S., Rastikerdar, N., Hesam, A. A., … Asadi, S. (2013). Evaluation of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder risk factors. International Journal of Pediatrics, 2013, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/953103
• Hadjkacem, I., Ayadi, H., Turki, M., Yaich, S., Khemekhem, K., Walha, A., … Ghribi, F. (2016). Prenatal, perinatal and postnatal factors associated with autism spectrum disorder. Journal De Pediatria, 92(6), 595–601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jped.2016.01.012
• IBM Corp (2014). IBM SPSS statistics, version 23.0.
• Jauhari, P., Boggula, R., Bhave, A., Bhargava, R., Singh, C., Kohli, N., … Kumar, R. (2011). Aetiology of intellectual disability in pediatric outpatients in northern India: Aetiology of intellectual disability. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 53(2), 167–172. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2010.03823.x
• Juneja, M., Jain, R., Chakrabarty, B., Mishra, D., & Saboo, P. (2014). Indian children with developmental disabilities: early versus late referral for intervention. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 81(11), 1177–1181. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-014-1344-4
• King, M. D., & Bearman, P. S. (2011). Socioeconomic status and the increased prevalence of autism in California. American Sociological Review, 76(2), 320–346. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003122411399389
• Kumar, R., Bhave, A., Bhargava, R., & Agarwal, G. G. (2013). Prevalence and risk factors for neurological disorders in children aged 6 months to 2 years in northern India. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 55(4), 348–356. https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.12079
• Kumar, S. G., Das, A., Bhandary, P. V., Soans, S. J., Kumar, H. H., & Kotian, M. S. (2008). Prevalence and pattern of mental disability using the Indian disability evaluation assessment scale in a rural community of Karnataka. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 50(1), 21. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.39754
• Mamidala, M. P., Kalikiri, M. K., Praveen Kumar, P. T. V., Rajesh, N., Vallamkonda, O. R., & Rajesh, V. (2015). Consanguinity in India and its association with autism spectrum disorder: consanguinity and autism spectrum disorder. Autism Research, 8(2), 224–228. https://doi.org/10.1002/aur.1431
• Mamidala, M. P., Polinedi, A., Kumar, P. P., Rajesh, N., Vallamkonda, O. R., Udani, V., … Rajesh, V. (2013a). Maternal hormonal interventions as a risk factor for autism spectrum disorder: anepidemiological assessment from India. Journal of Biosciences, 38(5), 887–892. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12038-013-9376-x
• Mamidala, M. P., Polinedi, A., P.T.V., P. K., Rajesh, N., Vallamkonda, O. R., Udani, V., … Rajesh, V. (2013b). Prenatal, perinatal and neonatal risk factors of autism spectrum disorder: a comprehensive epidemiological assessment from India. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34(9), 3004–3013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2013.06.019
• Manohar, H., Pravallika, M., Kandasamy, P., Chandrasekaran, V., & Rajkumar, R. P. (2018). Role of exclusive breastfeeding in conferring protection in children at-risk for autism spectrum disorder: results from a sibling case-control study. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice, 09(1), 132–136. https://doi.org/10.4103/jnrp.jnrp_331_17
• Mohammed, H. S., Wahass, S. H., & Mahmoud, A. A. (2016). Incidence of autism in high risk neonatal follow up. Neurosciences, 21(1), 43–46. https://doi.org/10.17712/nsj.2016.1.20150471
• Persha, A., Arya, S., Nagar, R. K., Behera, P., Verma, R., & Kishore, M. (2007). Biological and psychosocial predictors of developmental delay in persons with intellectual disability: retrospective case-file study. Asia Pacific Disability Rehabilitation Journal, 18(1), 93-100. Retrieved June 11, 2020, from https://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/asia/resource/apdrj/v182007/original_articles03.html
• Raina, S., Kashyap, V., Bhardwaj, A., Kumar, D., & Chander, V. (2015). Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders among children (1-10 years of age) – findings of a mid-term report from northwest India. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, 61(4), 243–246. https://doi.org/10.4103/0022-3859.166512
• Ravi, S., Chandrasekaran, V., Kattimani, S., & Subramanian, M. (2016). Maternal and birth risk factors for children screening positive for autism spectrum disorders on M-CHAT-R. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 22, 17–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2016.04.001
• Schiariti, V., Mahdi, S., & Bölte, S. (2018). International classification of functioning, disability and health core sets for cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder, and attention-deficit–hyperactivity disorder. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 60(9), 933–941. https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.13922
• Sharan, P., & Sagar, R. (2008). The need for national data on epidemiology of child and adolescent mental disorders. Journal of Indian Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 4(2), 22-27. Available from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/aa34/a6b80f6f7c3a609f4dbc00015d38c7c7b7c7.pdf?_ga=2.71972304.21797724.1592818465-464060090.1592818465
• Sharma, P., Gupta, R. K., Banal, R., Majeed, M., Kumari, R., Langer, B., … Raina, S. K. (2020). Prevalence and correlates of attention deficit hyperactive disorder (adhd) risk factors among school children in a rural area of north India. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, 9(1), 115–118. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_587_19
• Song, M.-K., Lin, F.-C., Ward, S. E., & Fine, J. P. (2013). Composite variables: when and how. Nursing Research, 62(1), 45–49.
• Srinath, S., C., S., Girimaji, R., Gururaj, G., Seshadri, S., Subbakrishna, D. K., Bhola, P., & Kumar, N. (2005). Epidemiological study of child & adolescent psychiatric disorders in urban & rural areas of Bangalore, India. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 79.
• Venkatesan, S. (2004). Children with developmental disabilities: A training guide for parents, teachers, and caregivers (1st ed.). New Delhi, India: Sage India.
• Venkatesan, S. (2009a). Readapted version for 2016: NIMH socio-economic status scale. Secunderabad, India: National Institute Mentally Handicapped currently ‘National Institute For Empowerment of Persons with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities’.
• Venkatesan, S. (2009b). Ethical guidelines for bio-behavioral research. Mysore, India: All India Institute of Speech and Hearing.
• Venkatesan, S., & Rao, P., H. (1996). Significance of some birth factors in mental retardation. Disabilities and Impairments, 10(2), 53-64.
• World Health Organization. (2007). International classification of functioning, disability, and health: Children and youth version: ICF-CY. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.
• World Health Organization. (2011). World report on disability 2011. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization.