EFFECT OF DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION ON ACHIEVEMENT OF LOW MATHEMATICS ACHIEVERS IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS IN ABUJA, NIGERIA
Keywords:Conventional method, Differentiated instruction, Low achievers, Mathematics, Mathematics achievement, Primary school
This article examined the effect of two teaching strategies and mathematics achievement on low achievers in Nigeria. Three purposes and three null hypotheses were used. A quasi-experimental research design was used for the study. The sample size for the study consists of 146 (66 males and 80 females) identified low mathematics achievers drawn from six intact classes. The researchers used multi-stage sampling technique. In collecting data, validated Mathematics Achievement Test (MAT) was applied. Internal consistency of the instrument was confirmed. Reliability was determined using Kuder-Rechardson formula 20 (K-R 20) with the estimate of 0.89. The pre-test and post-test data were analyzed and hypotheses tested. Findings of the study revealed that the use of differentiated instruction (DI) in teaching low mathematics achievers in primary school improved the achievement in mathematics more than the control or dictated strategy (F=19.321, P<0.05); the impact of male and on low mathematics achievers was not significant (F= 2.176, P>0.05). The reciprocal action of the teaching methods in relation to male and female low mathematics achievers was not significant (F=1.584, P>0.05). Based on these Findings, differentiated instruction is an effective teaching method for improving the achievement of low mathematics achievers.
• Abbas, M., & Khurshid, F. (2013). Motivational techniques and learners ‘academic achievement at primary level. Global Journal of Human Social Science, 13(3), 15-24. Retrieved from https://socialscienceresearch.org/index.php/GJHSS/article/view/600
• Abbing, J. (2013). The effect of student’s engagement on academic achievement in different stages of their academic career from a dropout perspective (Bachelor thesis, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands). Retrieved from https://essay.utwente.nl/64264/1/Abbing%20J.%20-%20S0215767%20-%20bachelorscriptie.pdf
• Adebayo, S. A., & Shumba, C. E. (2014). An assessment of the implementation of differentiated instruction in primary schools, Kabwe Ditrict, Zambia. European Scientific Journal, 10(7), 295-307. Retrieved from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/328024182.pdf
• Adene, F. (2017). Effect of collaborative learning strategy on social competence, self-esteem and self-efficacy belief of pupils with problem behaviour in Enugu State (Unpublished doctoral thesis). University of Nigeria Nsukka, Nigeria.
• Aguele, L. I., & Usman, K. O. (2007). Mathematics education for dynamic economy in Nigeria in the 21st century. Journal of Social Science, 15(3), 293-296. doi:10.1080/09718923.2007.11892594
• Ajai, J. T., & Imoko, B. I. (2015). Gender differences in mathematics achievement and retention scores: A case of problem-based learning method. International Journal of Research in Education and Science. 1(1), 46-50. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305989467_Gender_Differences_in_Mathematics_Achievement_and_Retention_Scores_A_Case_of_Problem Based_Learning_Method
• Al Zoubi, S., & Younes, M. (2015). Low academic achievement: Causes and results. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 5(11), 2262-2268. doi:10.17507/tpls.0511.09
• Alavinia, P., & Farhady, S. (2012). Using differentiated instruction to teach vocabulary in mixed ability classes with a focus on multiple intelligences and learning styles. International Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 2(4), 72-82. Retrieved from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Using-Differentiated-Instruction-to-Teach-in-Mixed-Alavinia Farhady/c8da4bd640c794050bd5d37c9c7baaf71ecbd756
• Ale, S. (2010). Mathematical physics the backbone of national development. African Journal of Physics, 3. 1-4.
• American Psychological Association. (2016). Definition of terms: sex, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf
• Aziz, Z., & Hossain, A. (2010). A comparison of cooperative learning and conventional teaching on student’s achievement in secondary mathematics. Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 9, 53–62. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.12.115
• Azuka, B. F., (2014). Assessment in primary school mathematics classrooms in Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 5(30), 40-45. Retrieved from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/234636421.pdf
• Badru, A. K. (2016). Problem-based instructional strategy and numerical ability as determinants of senior secondary achievement in mathematics. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(10), 89-95. Retrieved from https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/234638961.pdf
• Bamgbade, E. O. (2013). Differences in children’s school success and family backgrounds: A comparative case study of pupils’ performance in entrance examination in Ibadan, Nigeria. Retrieved from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Differences-in-children%27s-school-success-and-family-Bamgbade/c4c07a51cc4e622a64188fd6280c9e00b6f309e4
• Cabrera, D. (2018). Formative and Summative Assessment. A Publication of Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center. Retrieved from Northern Illinois University website: https://www.niu.edu/facdev/_pdf/guide/assessment/formative%20and_summative_assessment.pdf
• Carlson, M. (2015). What is differentiated instruction? Examples, definition and activity. Retrieved from Study.com website: https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-differentiated-instruction-examples-definition-activities.html
• Carter, V. (2018). Student achievement: Definition, factors & research. Retrieved from Study.com website: https://study.com/academy/lesson/student-achievement-definition-factors-research.html
• Darakhshan, A. (2018). What is conventional and modern teaching practice. Retrieved from darakhshaneportfolio website: https//: sites.google.com/site/ darakhshaneportfolio /artifact-5
• Federa Republic of Nigeria. (2004). National Policy on Education (4th ed.). Lagos: NERDC Press.
• Gwarjiko, U. I. (2015). Effect of mixed-gender streaming on student’s performance in English language: A case study of English as a second language classroom in Niger State, Nigeria. International Journal of Academic Research and Reflection 3(5), 12-18. Retrieved from https://www.idpublications.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/EFFECT-OF-MIXED-GENDER-STREAMING-ON-STUDENTS%E2%80%99-PERFORMANCE-IN-ENGLISH-LANGUAGE-A-CASE-STUDY-OF-ENGLISH-AS-A-SECOND-LANGUAGE-CLASSROOM-IN-NIGER-STATE-NIGERIA.pdf
• Hall, T., Strangman, H., & Meyer, A. (2013). Differentiated instruction and implementation. Retrieved from National Center on Accessing the General Curriculum website: https://sde.ok.gov/sites/ok.gov.sde/files/DI_UDL.pdf
• Kalpana, T. (2014). Differentiated instruction in the inclusive classroom institute of educational technology and vocational education, Panjab University. Research Journal of Educational Sciences, 2(7), 10-14. Retrieved from http://www.isca.in/EDU_SCI/Archive/v2/i7/2.%20ISCA-RJEduS-2014-025.pdf
• Kingyong, T. S. (2014). The use of conventional versus traditional method of teaching mathematics in primary schools. Newsday. India.
• LSUS Shreveport (2016). Differentiated instruction and the diverse classroom. Retrieved January 11, 2021, from https://online.lsus.edu/articles/education/differentiated-instruction-for-the-diverse-classroom.aspx
• Mbugua, Z. K., K8jkn gibet, K., Muthaa, G. M., & Nkonke, G. R. (2012). Factors contributing to student’s poor performance in mathematics at Kenya certificate of secondary education in Kenya: A case of Baringo County, Kenya. American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 2(6), 87-91. Retrieved from https://www.aijcrnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_6_June_2012/11.pdf
• Mulder, Q. (2014). The effects of differentiated instruction on student’s mathematics achievement in primary school classrooms (Master thesis, University of Twente Enschede, Netherlands). Retrieved from https://essay.utwente.nl/66645/1/Mulder%20Q.%20-%20S1199315%20-%20masterscriptie.pdf
• Muthomi, M. W., & Mbugua, Z. K. (2014). Effectiveness of differentiated instruction on secondary school student’s achievement in mathematics Mount Kenya University Kenya. International Journal of Applied Science and Technology 4(1), 116-122. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/29167902/Effectiveness_of_Differentiated_Instruction_on_Secondary_School_Students_Achievement_in_Mathematics
• Nworgu, B. G. (2006). Educational research basic issues and methodology. Ibadan, Nigeria: Wisdom Publishers Ltd.
• Okpole, S. A. (2016). Low mathematics achievers. Confluence Educators Journal, 2(1), 4-12.
• Oluwaseun, O. (2016). Effect of school variables on student academic performance in Calabar municipal area of Cross River State. Retrieved from Linked in website: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effect-school-variables-student-academic-performance-calabar-oredein
• Onu, U. B. (2017). Efficacy of project and conventional method of teaching vocational education in primary schools. Journal of Empirical Research in Science and Technology Education, 2(1), 1-8.
• Osagie, R. O., & Ehiametalor, E. T. (2010). Assessment of learning achievement of primary four pupils in Edo State. American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 1(3), 651-655. Retrieved from https://scihub.org/AJSIR/PDF/2010/3/AJSIR-1-3-651-655.pdf
• Stavroula, V. A., Leonidas, K., & Mary, K. (2011). Investigating the impact of differentiated instruction in mixed ability classrooms: Its impact on the quality and equity dimensions of education effectiveness. Proceedings of the Conference on International Congress for School Effectiveness and Improvement. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262566283_Valiandes_S_Koutselini_M_Kyriakides_L_2011_Investigating_the_Impact_of_Differentiated_Instruction_in_Mixed_Ability_Classrooms_its_impact_on_the_Quality_and_Equity_Dimensions_of_Education_Effectiveness
• Stephens, H. (2018). Academic achievement and diagnosis. Retrieved from www.academicdiagnosis.com
• Suleymanov, F. (2014). Academic achievements of students with special needs in inclusive education. A case study of one primary school in Azerbaijan (Masters thesis, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway). Retrieved from https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/40152
• Tomlinson, C. A. (n.d.). What is differentiated instruction? Retrieved from https://www.readingrockets.org/article/what-differentiated-instruction
• Unity, O., & Igbudu, U. (2015). Influence of gender on student’s academic achievement in government subject in public secondary schools in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State, Nigeria Oriakhi Unity. Journal of Educational and Social Research, 5(2), 101-105. doi:10.5901/jesr.2015.v5n2p101
• Unodiaku, S. S. (2013). Influence of sex and ability level on student’s mathematics readiness in Enugu State. Journal of Education and Practice, 4(14), 73-78. Retrieved from https://www.iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEP/article/view/6800/6914
• World Health Organization. (2016). Gender. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/gender-equit rights/understanding/gender-definition/en/
• Yusuf, A. (2018). Inter-relationship among academic performance, academic achievement and learning outcomes. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/15200508/INTER-RELATIONSHIP_AMONG_ACADEMIC_PERFORMANCE_ACADEMIC_ACHIEVEMENT_AND_LEARNING_OUTCOMES_A.YUSUF
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 IGBO JANET NGOZI, OJONUGWA DOMINIC SOLOMON
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.