NOVEL SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING LEAF EXTRACT OF MELOTHRIA MADERASPATANA (LINN) CONG
Objective: This study aims to investigate the green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) Melothria maderaspatana (MM), and evaluation of their antibacterial activities for the first time. It is observed that MM leaf extract can reduce silver ions into AgNPs.
Methods: The obtained particles were analyzed by UV-visible spectrophotometry, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy, to understand the morphology of AgNPs. In addition, the antibacterial activity by MM extract synthesized AgNPs (MM AgNPs) was also investigated. FTIR spectroscopic studies were carried out to find possible bio-reducing agent present in the plant leaves.
Results: The formation and stability of the reduced AgNPs in the colloidal solution were monitored by UV-Vis spectrophotometer analysis.SEM and FT-IR spectra of the leaf extract after the development of nanoparticles are determined to allow identification of possible functional groups responsible for the conversion of metal ions to metal nanoparticles.
Conclusion: Further, the AgNPs thus acquired showed highly potent antibacterial activity toward Gram-positive (Bacillus cereus) and Gram-negative (E. coli, pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Klebsiella sps) microorganisms.
Keywords: Green synthesis, Nanoparticles, Melothria maderaspatana, Antibacterial activity, Human pathogens
2. Ramanathan R, Oâ€™Mullane AP, Parikh RY, Smooker PM, Bhargava SK, Bansal V. Bacterial kinetics-controlled shape-directed biosynthesis of silver nanoplates using Morganella psychrotolerans. Langmuir 2010;27:714-9.
3. Bansal V, Ramanathan R, Bhargava SK. Fungus-mediated biological approaches towards â€œgreenâ€ synthesis of oxide nanomaterials. Aust J Chem 2011;64:279-93.
4. Konwarh R, Gogoi B, Philip R, Laskar MA, Karak N. Biomimetic preparation of polymer-supported free radical scavenging, cytocompatible and antimicrobial "green" silver nanoparticles using an aqueous extract of Citrus sinensis peel. Colloids Surf B 2011;84:338-45.
5. Sharma VK, Yngard RA, Lin Y. Silver nanoparticles; green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 2009;145:83-96.
6. Korbekandi H, Iravani S. Silver Nanoparticles, The Delivery of nanoparticles, Dr Abbass A Hashim (Ed) InTech, China; 2012. p. 1-35.
7. Vigneshwaran N, Kathe AA, Varadarajan PV, Nachane RP, Balasubramanya RJ. Functional finishing of cotton fabrics using silver nanoparticles. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2007;7:1893-7.
8. Chaudhry L, Castle Q. Food applications of nanotechnologies: An overview of opportunities and challenges for developing countries. Trends Food Sci Technol 2011;22:595-603.
9. Banuelos A, Orrantia E, Nino N, Sanchez E. Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of the antimicrobial and cytotoxic effect of silver and titanium nanoparticles. Nanomedicine 2010;6:681-8.
10. Kokura S, Handa O, Takagi T, Ishikawa T, Naito Y, Yoshikawa T. Silver nanoparticles as a safe preservative for use in cosmetics. Nanomedicine 2010;6:570-4.
11. Lara HH, Garza-Trevino EN, Ixtepan-Turrent L, Singh DK. Silver nanoparticles are broad-spectrum bactericidal and virucidal compounds. J Nanopart 2011;9:30-8.
12. Xia T, Hong G, Zhang L, Brant J, Hotze M, Sempf J, et al. Comparison of the abilities of ambient and manufactured nanoparticles to induce cellular toxicity according to an oxidative stress paradigm nanomaterials and nanoparticles: sources and toxicity. Nano Lett 2007;6:1794-807.
13. Buzea C, Blandino IVP, Robbie K. Nanomaterials and nanoparticles: sources and toxicity. Biointerphases 2005;2:17-22.
14. Rao NH, Lakshmidevi N, Pammi SV, Kollu P, Ganapaty S, Lakshmi P. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using methanolic root extracts of Diospyros paniculata and their antimicrobial activities. Mater Sci Eng C 2016;62:553-7.
15. World Health Organization (WHO): The World Health Report. Bridging the gap. 1, 118, WHO, Geneva; 1995.
16. Ramakrishnamacharya CH, Krishanaswamy MR, Bhima Rao R, Viswanathan S. Antiâ€“inflammatory efficacy of Melothria maderaspatana in active rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 1996;12:214-5.
17. Thabrew MI, De Silva KTD, Labadie RP. Immunomodulatory activity of three Sri-Lankan medicinal plants used in hepatic disorders. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;3:63-6.
18. Hemamalini K, Varma VK. Antimicrobial activity of methanolic leaves extracts of Melothria maderaspatana Linn. Pharmacologyonline 2007;3:323-6.
19. Balaraman AK, Singh J, Dash S, Maity TK. Antihyperglycemic and hypolipedemic effects of Melothria maderaspatana and Coccinia indica in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Saudi Pharm J 2010;18:173-8.
20. Jayaweera DMA. Medicinal plants used in Ceylon, Colombo, Sri Lanka. Natl Sci Counc 1982;1:153-443.
21. Sinha BN, Thanigavelan J, Basu SP. Studies on Melothria maderaspatana (Linn). Cogn Anci Sci Life 1996;15:238-40.
22. Sankar R, Karthik A, Prabu A, Karthik S, Shivashangari KS, Ravikumar V. Origanum vulgare mediated biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles for its antibacterial and anticancer activity. Colloids Surf B 2013;108:80-4.
23. Perez C, Paul M, Bazerque P. Antibiotic assay by the agar-well diffusion method. Acta Biol Med Exp 1990;15:113-5.
24. Udayasoorian C, Kumar V, Jayabalahrishnan RM. Extracellular synthesis of silver nanoparticles using leaf extract of Cassia auriculata. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2011;6:279-83.
25. Yang P, Zhang L, Hong G, Nasiri SL, Bryan A, Huang HL, et al. Differences between collection 4 and 5 MODIS Ice Cloud Optical/Microphysical products and their impact on radiative forcing simulations. IEEE Trans Geosci Electron 2007;45:2886-99.
26. Philip D. Mangifera indica leaf assisted biosynthesis of well-dispersed silver nanoparticles. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2011;78:327-31.
27. Creighton JA, Eadon DG. Ultravioletâ€“visible absorption spectra of the colloidal metallic elements. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 1991;87:3881-91.
28. Kamat PV, Flumiani M, Hartland GV. Picosecond dynamics of silver nanoclusters. Photoejection of electrons and fragmentation. J Phys Chem B 1998;102:3123-8.
29. Link S, El-Sayed MA. Optical properties and ultrafastdynamics of metallic nanocyystals. Annu Rev Phys Chem 2000;54:331-66.
30. Rani PU, Rajasekharreddy P. Green synthesis of silver-protein (coreâ€“shell) nanoparticles using Piper betle L. leaf extract and its ecotoxicological studies on Daphnia magna. Colloids Surf A 2011;389:188-94.
31. Goldstein JI, Newbury DE, Joy DC, Lyman CE, Echlin P, Lifshin E, et al. â€œScanning Electron Microscopy and X-ray Microanalysisâ€. 3 rd Ed. Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York; 2003.
32. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic Au coreâ€“Ag shell nanoparticles using neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:496-502.
33. Ankamwar B, Damle C, Absar A, Mural S. Biosynthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles using Emblics Officinalis Fruit extract and their phase transfer and transmetallation in an organic solution. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2005;10:1665-71.
34. Jain D, Daima HK, Kachhwaha S, Kothari SL. Synthesis of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using papaya fruit extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2009;4:557-63.
35. Hostetler MJ, Stokes JJ, Murray RW. Infrared spectroscopy of three-dimensional self-assembled monolayers: Nâ€“Alkanethiolate monolayers on Gold cluster compound. Langmuir 1996;12:3604-12.
36. Guidelli EJ, Ramos AP, Zaniquelli ME, Nicolucci P, Baffa O. Synthesis and characterization of silver/alanine nanocomposites for radiation detection in medical applications: the influence of particle size on the detection properties. Nanoscale 2012;4:2884-93.
37. Morones R, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, Holt K, Juan Kouri B, Ramrez JT, et al. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
38. Song HY, Ko KK, Oh IH, Lee BT. Fabrication of silver nanoparticles and their antimicrobial mechanisms. Eur Cells Mater 2006;11:58.
39. Feng QL, Wu J, Chen GQ, Cui FZ, Kim TN, Kim JO. A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. J Biomed Mater Res 2000;52:662-8.