SYNERGISTIC EFFECT OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES WITH DOXYCYCLINE AGAINST KLEBSIELLA PNEUMONIA
Objective: Green synthesis, characterization of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) and study of the synergistic effect of AgNPs with antibiotic doxycycline against Klebsiella pneumonia.
Methods: AgNps were synthesized from bacteria isolated from samples obtained from petroleum soil. After characterization of the nanoparticles, the antibacterial activity of the nanoparticle was studied, and simultaneously the same nanoparticle was used in combination with doxycycline antibiotic.
Results: It was observed that compared to the effects of AgNps and antibiotic alone, the collective effect on both of them was more evident, which indicate the synergistic effect of the two components.
Conclusion: These findings highlight the potential for AgNPs to enhance the activity of doxycycline antibiotic against Klebsiella pneumonia infections.
Keywords: Silver nanoparticle, Green Synthesis, Klebsiella Pneumonia, Doxycycline
2. Tsay R, Siu L, Fung C, Chang F. Characteristics of bacteremia between community-acquired and nosocomial Klebsiella pneumoniae infection: a risk factor for mortality and the impact of capsular serotypes as a herald for community acquired infection. Arch Int 2002;162:1021-7.
3. Garcia TM, Romero VJ, Martinez BJ, Guerrero A, Meseguer M, Bouza E. Klebsiella bacteremia: an analysis of 100 episodes. Rev Infect Dis 1985;7:143-50.
4. Ko WC, Paterson DL, Sagnimeni AJ, Hansen DS, Von GA, Mohapatra S, et al. Community-acquired Klebsiella pneumoniae bacteremia: global differences in clinical patterns. Emerging Infect Dis 2002;8:160-6.
5. Souli M, Galani I, Antoniadou A, Papadomichelakis E, Poulakou G, Panagea T, et al. An outbreak of infection due to beta-Lactamase Klebsiella pneumonia carbapenemase-2 producing K. pneumoniae in a Greek university hospital: molecular characterization, epidemiology, and outcomes. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50:364-73.
6. Maltezou HC. Metallo-b-lactamases in gram-negative bacteria: introducing the era of pan-resistance. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2009;33:405-7.
7. Luo Y, Yang J, Zhang Y, Ye L, Wang L, Guo L. Prevalence of beta-lactamases and 16S rRNA methylase genes amongst clinical Klebsiella pneumonia isolates carrying plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinants. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2011;37:352-5.
8. Elgorriaga IE, Guggiana NP, Dominguez YM, Gonzalez RG, Mella MS, Labarca LJ, et al. Prevalence of plasmid-mediated quinolone resistance determinant aac(6â€²)-Ib-cr among ESBL producing enterobacteria isolates from Chilean hospitals. Enferm Infec Microbiol Clin 2012;30:466-8.
9. Jain D, Daima HK, Kachhwaha S, Kothari SL. Synthesis of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using papaya fruit extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2009;4:557-63.
10. Singh A, Jain D, Upadhyay MK, Khandelwal N, Verma HN. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Argemone mexicana leaf extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2010;5:483-9.
11. Sharma VK, Yngard RA, Lin Y. Silver nanoparticles: green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 2009;145:83-96.
12. Lazar V. Quorum sensing in biofilms: How to destroy the bacterial citadels or their cohesion/power? Anaerobe 2011;17:280-5.
13. Nowack B, Krug HF, Height M. 120 y of nanosilver history: implications for policy makers. Environ Sci Technol 2011;45:1177-83.
14. Morones JR, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri JB, Ramirez JT, et al. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
15. Markowska K, Grudniak AM, Krawczyk K, Wrobel I, Wolska KI. Modulation of antibiotic resistance and induction of a stress response in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by silver nanoparticles. J Med Microbiol 2014;63:849-54.
16. Naqvi SZ, Kiran U, Ali MI, Jamal A, Hameed A, Ahmed S, et al. Combined efficacy of biologically synthesized silver nanoparticles and different antibiotics against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Int J Nanomed 2013;8:3187-95.
17. Kalishwaralal K, Deepak V, Pandian SRK, Kottaisamy M, Barath Mani Kanth S, Kartikeyan B, et al. Biosynthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles using Brevibacterium casei. Colloids Surf B 2010;77:257-62.
18. Balaji DS, Basavaraja S, Deshpande R, Mahesh D, Prabhakar BK, Venkataraman A. Extracellular biosynthesis of functionalized silver nanoparticles by strains of Cladosporium cladosporioides fungus. Colloids Surf B 2009;68:88-92.
19. Deshpande LM, Chopade BA. Plasmid-mediated silver resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii. Biometals 1994;7:49-56.
20. Cho KH, Park JE, Osaka T, Park SG. The study of antimicrobial activity and preservative effects of nanosilver ingredient. Electrochimica Acta 2005;51:956-60.
21. Fayaz AM, Balaji K, Girilal M, Yadav R, Kalaichelvan PT, Venketesan R. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their synergistic effect with antibiotics: a study against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Nanomedicine 2010;6:103-9.
22. Birla SS, Tiwari VV, Gade AK, Ingle AP, Yadav AP, Rai MK. Fabrication of silver nanoparticles by Phoma glomerata and its combined effect against Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus. Lett Appl Microbiol 2009;48:173-9.
23. Rai MK, Deshmukh SD, Ingle AP, Gade AK. Silver nanoparticles: the powerful nano weapon against multidrug-resistant bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 2012;112:841-52.
24. Kim KJ, Sung WS, Moon SK, Choi JS, Kim JG, Lee DG. Antifungal effect of silver nanoparticles on dermatophytes. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2008;18:1482-4.
25. Yamanaka M, Hara K, Kudo J. Bactericidal actions of a silver ion solution on Escherichia coli, studied by energy filtering transmission electron microscopy and proteomic analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol 2005;71:7589-93.