EVALUATION OF IMMUNOMODULATORY ACTIVITY OF EXTRACT FROM RIND OF NEPHELIUM LAPPACEUM FRUIT
Objective: Nephelium lappaceum Linn (Sapindaceae), also known as Rambutan is a tropical fruit native to Malaysia. The rind of Rambutan, which is normally discarded, has been used in the present research work to explore the immunomodulatory activity of ethanolic extract and also its protective effect against cyclophosphamide (CP) induced immunosuppression.
Methods: The assessment of immunomodulatory activity was carried by testing the humoral (Haemagglutination antibody titre (HA) model), cell-mediated immunity (delayed type hypersensitivity reaction model), haematological parameters, carbon clearance assay (phagocytic index), organ index (spleen and thymus) and histopathological study of mice thymus.
Results: Administration of the ethanolic extract significantly increased the antibody titre and DTH response in response to sheep red blood cells when compared to normal control and CP control group. There was a prominent increase in the WBC count, spleen index, thymus index and the phagocytic index in immune suppressed group treated with ethanolic extract of Nephelium lappaceum rind compared to the immune suppressed control group.
Conclusion: The result suggests that the ethanolic extract has the potential to modulate the immune system as well has a protective effect against CP-induced immune suppression.
2. Patil US, Jaydeokar AV, Bandawane DD. Immunomodulators: a pharmacological review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;4:30-6.
3. Davis L, Kuttan G. Suppressive effect of cyclophosphamide-induced toxicity by Withania somnifera extract in mice. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;62:209â€“14.
4. Rambutan. Available from: http://www.fruitipedia.com/ Rambutan.htm. [Last accessed 10 Dec 2014]
5. Palanisamy U, Cheng HM, Masilamani T, Subramaniam T, Ling LT, Radhakrishnan AK. Rind of the rambutan, Nephelium lappaceum, a potential source of natural antioxidants. Food Chem 2008;109:54-63.
6. Kumar D, Arya V, Kaur R, Bhat ZA, Gupta VK, Kumar V. A review of immunomodulators in the indian traditional health care system. J Microbiol Immunol Infect 2012;45:165-84.
7. Fila WO, Johnson JT, Edem PN, Odey MO, Ekam VS, Ujong UP, et al. Comparative anti-nutrients assessment of pulp, seed and rind of rambutan (Nephelium Lappaceum). Ann Biol Res 2012;3:5151-6.
8. Thitilertdecha N, Teerawutgulrag A, Kilburn JD, Rakariyatham N. Identification of major phenolic compounds from Nephelium lappaceum L. and their antioxidant activities. Molecules 2010;15:1453-65.
9. Nawawi A, Nakamura N, Hattori M, Kurokawa M, Shiraki K. Inhibitory effects of Indonesian medicinal plants on the infection of herpes simplex virus type 1. J Food Biochem 1999;13:37-41.
10. Thitilertdecha N, Teerawutgulrag A, Rakariyatham N. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Nephelium lappaceum L. extracts. LWTâ€“Food SciTechnol Lnt 2008;41:2029-35.
11. Palanisamy U, Ling LT, Manaharan T, Appleton D. Rapid isolation of geraniin from Nephelium lappaceum rind waste and its anti-hyperglycemic activity. Food Chem 2011;127:21-7.
12. Kumar S, Chakravarthi S, Chiew GS, Subramaniam T, Palanisamy U, Radhakrishnan U, et al. Protective effects of Nephelium lappaceum rind extract against collagen-induced arthritis in dark agouti rats. J Biol Sci 2012;12:385-92.
13. Khaizil EZ, Nik AS, Mohd DS. Preliminary study on anti-proliferative activity of methanolic extract of Nephelium lappaceum peels towards breast (MDA-MB-231), cervical (HeLa) and osteosarcoma (MG-63) cancer cell lines. Health Environ J 2013;4:66-79.
14. Subramaniam S, Chakravarthi S, Palanisamy UD, Radhakrishnan A, Haleagrahara N. Acute and subchronic oral toxicity assessment of the ethanolic extract from the rind of Nephelium Lappaceum in rats. J Pharmacol Toxicol 2012;7:378-85.
15. Sahu MS, Sahu RA, Verma A. Immunomodulatory activity of alcoholic extract of Habenaria intermedia in mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:406-9.
16. Dashputre NL, Naikwade NS. Immunomodulatory activity of Abutilon indicum linn on albino mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;73:101-9.
17. Kumar A, Kaur G, Kalonia H, Rinwa P. Evaluation of sesamol and buspirone in stress-induced anxiety in mice. Indian J Pharmacol 2013;45:49â€“53.
18. Ghaisas MM, Shaikh SA, Despande AD. Evaluation of the Immunomodulatory activity of ethanolic extract of the stem bark of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Int J Green Pharm 2009;27:70-4.
19. Makare N, Bodhankar S, Rangari V. Immunomodulatory activity of alcoholic extract of Mangifera indica L. in mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2001;78:133-7.
20. Liu MW, Su MX, Zhang W, Zhang LM, Wang YH, Qian CY. Rhodiola rosea suppresses thymus T-lymphocyte apoptosis by downregulating tumor necrosis factor-Î±-induced protein 8-like-2 in septic rats. Int J Mol Med 2015;36:386-98.
21. Deng YY, Yi Y, Zhang LF, Zhang RF, Zhang Y, Wei ZC, et al. Immunomodulatory activity and partial characterization of polysaccharides from Momordica charantia. Molecules 2014;19:13432-47.
22. Ghaisas MM, Shaikh SA, Despande AD. Evaluation of the immunomodulatory activity of ethanolic extract of the stem bark of Bauhinia variegata Linn. Int J Green Pharm 2009;27:70-4.
23. Vaghasiya J, Datani M, Nandkumar K, Malaviya S, Jivani N. Comparative evaluation of alcoholic and aqueous extracts of Ocimum sanctum for immunomodulatory activity. Int J Pharm Biol Res 2010;1:25-9.
24. Tripathi AS, Chitra V, Sheikh NW, Mohale DS, Dewani AP. Immunomodulatory activity of the methanol extract of Amorphophallus campanulatus (Araceae) tuber. Trop J Pharm Res 2010;9:451-4.
25. Shukla S, Mehta A, John J, Mehta P, Vyas SP, Shukla S. Immunomodulatory activities of the ethanolic extract of Caesalpinia bonducella seeds. J Ethnopharmacol 2009;125:252-6.
26. Jin F, Lai LC, Dong JX, Ning LI. Immunotoxicity of acrylamide in female BALB/c Mice. Biomed Environ Sci 2014;27:401-9.
27. Corbin E, Vicente J, Hernando MP, Acevedo P, Rodriguez LP, Gortazar C. Spleen mass as a measure of immune strength in mammals. Mammal Rev 2008;38:108â€“15.
28. Pearse G. Histopathology of the thymus. Toxicol Pathol 2006;34:515â€“47.
29. Cui H, Wang L, Su Y, Xian CJ. Dioscorea bulbifera polysaccharide and cyclophosphamide combination enhances anti-cervical cancer effect and attenuates immunosuppression and oxidative stress in mice. Nature; 2015.
30. Reddy PG, Kothai AR, et al. Evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of aqueous extract of a polyherbal formulation by in vivo method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:129-33.
31. Winkelstein A. Mechanisms of immunosuppression: effects of cyclophosphamide on cellular immunity. Blood 1973;41:273-84.