DRUG UTILIZATION STUDY OF ANTIPSYCHOTICS AND ITS COMMON ADRâ€™S IN THE PSYCHIATRY OPD OF OHRC
- To determine the safety and efficacy of the drug used.
- To analyze drug utilization pattern.
- To identify the ADRâ€™s caused by psychotropic drugs
Methods: IRB approval was obtained and a hospital based cross sectional study was carried out at psychiatric OPD of OHRC. 500 prescriptions were collected and information was recorded in data collection form and analyzed.
Results: From 500 prescriptions, 46.8% of prescriptions were of males and 53.2% of prescriptions were of females. Schizophrenia accounted for 29.6% of prescriptions whereas, 38.4% were of mood disorder, 21.6% were of anxiety and 10.4% were of other disorders.Drug Utilization Pattern in different psychiatric disorders: Mood disorder was the most common diagnosis followed by schizophrenia and anxiety. In mood disorder, the most commonly prescribed drug was escitalopram and the least commonly prescribed drug was fluoxetine. In schizophrenia the most commonly prescribed drug was diazepam and the least commonly prescribed drug was aripiprazole. In anxiety, the most commonly prescribed drug was clonazepam and the least commonly prescribed drug was haloperidol. PDD/DDD ratio of escitalopram and sodium valproate was nearer to one.
Conclusion: In this study we get to know about the current prescribing trend of the psychotropic drugs and we also came to know the corresponding ADR'S of the drugs prescribed.
2. Indrajeet banerjee, Bedanta Roy, Brijesh sathian, Prasanta Kumar chakraborty, Archana saha. Socio demographic profile and utilisation pattern of antipsychotics among schizophrenic inpatients: A cross-sectional study from western region of Nepal 1471-244.
3. B Mangal M, Karan jain, Gauri Billa. A drug utilisation study of psychotropic drug prescribed in psychiatric OPD of a tertiary care hospital 2067.
4. Jayanthi CR, divyashri M, sushma M-Adverse drug reaction in psychiatric outpatient: clinical spectrum. J Causality and Avoidability.
5. Abubaker K, Muhammed AA, Jimoh AO. Prescription pattern of antipsychotic drugs-A case study of a neuro-psychiatry hospital in north-Western Nigeria. Eur J of Scientific Res ISSN: 1450-216X / 1450-202X Vol. 95 No 3. 2013;332-7.
6. Ghosh sidhharta, bhattacharya swati, dalai chanchal kumar-Antipsychotic Prescribing Pattern in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Eastern. India J of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2013;3(4):38-42.
7. Praveenlal R, Sumesh TP, Shijin A A. Smitha Ummer-of an Antipsychotic Prescription Pattern of Patients. J Schizophrenia in a Developing Country. 1.
8. July IP, Shakti bala dutta, DC Dhasmana, Reena Bhardwaj. Psychotropic drug utilization pattern among patients J Schizophrenia 2014.
9. Kane J, Davis KL, Charney D, Coyle JT, Nemeroff C. Tardive Dyskinesia. J Epidemiological and Clinical Presentation.
10. O. WH. Working Group for Drug Statistics. J Methodology 2012.
11. D. DD, O. WH. ATC/ [Internet]. Centre for Drug Statistics. J Methodology 2012.
12. World Health Organization 2001.