SURVIVAL TIME AND HISTOLOGICAL OUTCOME OF MAJOR ORGANS FOLLOWING HONEY ADMINISTRATION TO ACUTE PARAQUAT-INTOXICATED RATS: A PRELIMINARY STUDY
Objective: The objective of this research was to investigate the possible protective effect of Tualang honey (TH) in acute paraquat (PQ) toxicity in rats.
Methods: A total of 48 male Sprague-Dawley rats aged eight weeks old were used. Oral PQ and TH were administered at 225 mg/kg and 0.2 g/kg, respectively. The effects of single and multiple TH treatmentson PQ-intoxicated rats were then investigated. Single TH treatment groups received TH at 0.5 (PQ+TH0.5h), 2 (PQ+TH2h) or 6 (PQ+TH6h) hours following PQ administration. Multiple TH treatment groups received TH at 0.5, 2 and 6 h (PQ+THtrp) or further daily treatment for the following six days (PQ+TH7d) after PQ administration (n=6 per group). The survival time of the rat was recorded until day 28 before sacrifice, which was followed by a histological examination.
Results: Treatment with TH did not improve the survival rate of PQ-intoxicated rats. However, the median survival time of rats that received multiple TH treatments was significantly longer compared to that of the PQ+TH6h group. TH treatment was found to improve the histological outcomes of PQ-intoxicated rats, particularly in the lungs.
Conclusion: Our findings suggest the potential role of honey in delaying the toxic effects of PQ.
2. Bus JS, Gibson JE. Paraquat: model for oxidant-initiated toxicity. Environ Health Perspect 1984;55:37-46.
3. Abdollahi M, Ranjbar A, Shadnia S, Nikfar S, Rezaie A. Pesticides and oxidative stress: a review. Med Sci Monit 2004;10:RA141-7.
4. Halliwell B. The wanderings of a free radical. Free Radical Biol Med 2009;46:531-42.
5. Kale MA, Bindu SM, Khadkikar P. Role of antioxidants and nutrition in oxidative stress: a review. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:1-4.
6. Franzen D, Baer F, Heitz W, Mecking H, Eidt S, Kaferstein H, et al. Failure of radiotherapy to resolve fatal lung damage due to paraquat poisoning. Chest 1991;100:1164-5.
7. Lin JL, Wei MC, Liu YC. Pulse therapy with cyclophosphamide and methylprednisolone in patients with moderate to severe paraquat poisoning: a preliminary report. Thorax 1996;51:661-3.
8. Gawarammana IB, Buckley NA. Medical management of paraquat ingestion. Br J Clin Pharmacol2011;72:745-57.
9. Koh KH, Tan CHH, Hii LWS, Lee J, Ngu LLS, Chai AJM, et al. Survival predictors in paraquat intoxification and role of immunosuppression. Toxicol Rep 2014;1:490-5.
10. Suntres ZE. Role of antioxidants in paraquat toxicity. Toxicology 2002;180:65-77.
11. Ilizarov AM, Koo HC, Kazzaz JA, Mantell LL, Li Y, Bhapat R, et al. Overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase protects lung epithelial cells against oxidant injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2001;24:436-41.
12. Muzykantov VR. Delivery of antioxidant enzyme proteins to the lung. Antioxid Redox Signal 2001;3:39-62.
13. Han J, Ma D, Zhang M, Yang X, Tan D. Natural antioxidant betanin protects rats from paraquat-induced acute lung injury interstitial pneumonia. BioMed Res Int 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/608174
14. Chen Y, Nie YC, Luo YL, Lin F, Zheng YF, Cheng GH, et al. Protective effects of naringin against paraquat-induced acute lung injury and pulmonary fibrosis in mice. Food Chem Toxicol 2013;58:133-40.
15. Saba ZH, Suzana M, Yasmin AM. Honey: food or medicine. Med Health 2013;8:3-18.
16. KÃ¼Ã§Ã¼k M, KolaylI S, Karaoglu S, Ulusoy E, BaltacI C, Candan F. Biological activities and chemical composition of three honeys of different types from Anatolia. Food Chem 2007;100:526-34.
17. Nagai T, Inoue R, Kanamori N, Suzuki N, Nagashima T. Characterization of honey from different floral sources. Its functional properties and effects of honey species on storage of meat. Food Chem 2006;97:256-62.
18. Fauzi AN, Norazmi MN, Yaacob NS. Tualang honey induces apoptosis and disrupts the mitochondrial membrane potential of human breast and cervical cancer cell lines. Food Chem Toxicol 2011;49:871-8.
19. Ghashm AA, Othman NH, Khattak MN, Ismail NM, Saini R. Antiproliferative effect of Tualang honey on oral squamous cell carcinoma and osteosarcoma cell lines. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2010;10:49.
20. Erejuwa OO, Sulaiman SA, Wahab MS, Salam SK, Salleh MS, Gurtu S. Antioxidant protective effect of glibenclamide and metformin in combination with honey in pancreas of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Int J Mol Sci 2010;11:2056-66.
21. Khoo YT, Halim AS, Singh KK, Mohamad NA. Wound contraction effects and antibacterial properties of Tualang honey on full-thickness burn wounds in rats in comparison to hydrofibre. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2010;10:48.
22. Nasir NA, Halim AS, Singh KK, Dorai AA, Haneef MN. Antibacterial properties of tualang honey and its effect in burn wound management: a comparative study. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2010;10:31.
23. Tan HT, Rahman RA, Gan SH, Halim AS, Hassan SA, Sulaiman SA, et al. The antibacterial properties of Malaysian tualang honey against wound and enteric microorganisms in comparison to manuka honey. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2009;9:34.
24. Zaid SS, Sulaiman SA, Sirajudeen KN, Othman NH. The effects of tualang honey on female reproductive organs, tibia bone and hormonal profile in ovariectomised rats--animal model for menopause. BMC Complementary Altern Med 2010;10:82.
25. Mohamed M, Sirajudeen K, Swamy M, Yaacob NS, Sulaiman SA. Studies on the antioxidant properties of tualang honey of Malaysia. Afr J Tradit Complementary Altern Med 2010;7:59-63.
26. Yao R, Cao Y, He YR, Lau WB, Zeng Z, Liang ZA. Adiponectin attenuates lung fibroblasts activation and pulmonary fibrosis induced by paraquat. PLoS One 2015;10:e0125169.
27. Acharya VK, Pawadshettar S, Arun M, Unnikrishnan B, Tantry BV. Penicillamine in interstitial lung disease: a timely remainder of an old foe. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-3.
28. Duncan AW, Soto-Gutierrez A. Liver repopulation and regeneration: new approaches to old questions. Curr Opin Organ Transplant 2013;18:197-202.
29. Shalini S, Kumar S. Caspase-2 and the oxidative stress response. Mol Cell Oncol 2015;2:e1004956.Doi:10.1080/23723556.2015.1004956