BIOANALYTICAL METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR THE DETERMINATION OF SOFOSBUVIR FROM HUMAN PLASMA
Objective: This study points to build up and validate a simple methodology to quantify the most used drug sofosbuvir for the treatment of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, in human plasma by using atazanavir as an Internal Standard (IS) for preclinical studies and validate as per USFDA guidelines.
Methods: Sofosbuvir was isolated from plasma samples by liquid-liquid extraction method using acetonitrile; good chromatographic separation was achieved on Kromasil Column (250 mm Ã—4.6 mm, 5 Âµm). The mobile phase consisted of 0.1 % orthophosphoric acid (OPA) buffer pH 2 and acetonitrile in the ratio of (68:32, v/v), respectively. The analysis time was 7 min at a flow rate 1 ml/min. The photodiode array detector (PDA) detection was carried out at 228 nm. The suggested method was validated by performing linearity, system suitability, specificity and sensitivity, accuracy and precision, recovery, ruggedness, stability studies. The method was validated as per USFDA guidelines.
Results: The developed method resulted in retention times of sofosbuvir and IS were found out to be 4.7 and 4.2 min respectively. The calibration curves are linear (r2 = 0.999) over the concentration range of 0.050-2.0 Âµg/ml of plasma analytes concentration. LOQ value was found to be 0.050 Âµg/ml with precision and accuracy. Within-batch % mean accuracy of the method ranged between 96.00% and 109.09%, and within-batch and total precision, expressed as the coefficient of variation, was 1.40â€“10.33%. Overall percentage mean recovery of sofosbuvir from spiked plasma was 84.14%. All the validated parameters were found to be within the limit.
Conclusion: A simple, accurate, precise, linear, rugged and rapid RP-HPLC method was developed for quantitative estimation of sofosbuvir in human plasma and should be suitable for conducting pharmacokinetics studies and therapeutic drug monitoring.
2. Marcel Nkuize, Thomas SerstÃ©, Michel Buset, Jean-Pierre Mulkay. Combination ledipasvir-sofosbuvir for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus infection: a review and clinical perspective. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016;12:861â€“72.
3. Ravikumar Vejendla, CVS Subramanyam. Estimation and validation of sofosbuvir in bulk and tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm 2016;6:121-7.
4. Uttam Prasad Panigrahy, A Sunil Kumar Reddy. A novel validated RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of atazanavir sulphate and cobicistat in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2016:36:82-9.
5. B Raj Kumar, KV Subrahmanyam. A new validated RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of simeprevir and sofosbuvir in pharmaceutical dosage form. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2016;5:4508-20.
6. Rezk MR, Basalious EB, Karim IA. Development of a sensitive UPLC-ESI-MS/MS method for quantification of sofosbuvir and its metabolite, GS-331007, in human plasma: application to a bioequivalence study. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2015:114:97-104.
7. Chenwei Pan, Yongping Chen, Weilai Chen, Guangyao Zhou. Simultaneous determination of ledipasvir, sofosbuvir and its metabolite in rat plasma by UPLCâ€“MS/MS and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr 2016;1008:255-9.
8. Michael J, Sofia. A UHPLCâ€“MS/MS method for the quantification of direct antiviral agents simeprevir, daclatasvir, ledipasvir, sofosbuvir/GS-331007, dasabuvir, ombitasvir and paritaprevir, together with ritonavir, in human plasma. Cell 2016:16:25-9.
9. Pranay Wal, Brijesh kumar, Anil Bhandari. Bioanalytical method development determination of drugs in biological fluids. J Pharm Sci Technol 2010:2:333-47.
10. Food and drug Administration. Guidance for Industry: bioanalytical method validation. Rockville MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research; 2001.
11. Shital Bhandari, Nikhil Khisti. Extraction less high-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of lornoxicam in human plasma. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012:5:122-4.
12. Nagulu Malothu, Uday Kiran Veldandi, Rama krishna devarakonda. Development of rapid and simple HPLC method for the determination of cyclophosphamide in human serum. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2009:2:34-8.
13. Snehal Karpe, Sandeep Sonawane, Priya Rahade, Sanjay Kshirsagar. Development and validation of a bioanalytical RP-HPLC method for azilsartan medoxomil with liquid-liquid extraction. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016:8:164-8.
14. Senthil Rajan, Dharmalingam, Srinivasan Ramamurthy. A simple HPLC bioanalytical method for the determination of doxorubicin hydrochloride in rat plasma: application to pharmacokinetic studies. Trop J Pharm Res 2014:13:409-15.
15. K Pushpalatha, Ramachandran. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for the estimation of pantoprazole. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2013:5:119-21.
16. Rutvik Pandya, Rajeshwari Rathod, Dilip Maheswari. Bioanalytical method development and validation for simultaneous determination of linagliptin and metformin drugs in human plasma by the RP-HPLC method. Pharmacophore 2014:5:202-18.
17. S Halde, A Mungantiwar, M Chintamaneni. Simple, precise and accurate HPLC method of analysis for nevirapine suspension from human plasma. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011:73:416-21.