PHYTOCHEMICAL PROFILING OF SUCCESSIVE EXTRACTS OF FRUIT AND STEM BARK OF SOLANUM PUBESCENS
Objective: Solanum (L) is the most representative genus of Solanaceae, Solanum species are a rich source of bioactive compounds which are known to possess a variety of biological activities. Solanum pubescens is a wild plant growing abundantly as weed in forest and the hills of South-Eastern Ghats in Andhra Pradesh. This study purposed to investigate the phytochemical constituents present in different extracts of Solanum pubescens.
Methods: Solvents such as hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate and ethanol, were used to isolate the bioactive compounds from fruit and stem bark. Fluorescence analyses of the plant powder and of different successive extracts were carried out under normal light and UV light.
Results: The preliminary phytochemical screening of fruit and stem bark has revealed that oils & fats, alkaloids, flavonoids, carbohydrates, saponins, coumarins and phenolics are present in different extracts. Interestingly, alkaloids are present only in the ethanol extract. The quantitative analysis revealed that Solanum pubescens is very rich in phenolics followed by flavonoids, alkaloids, saponins, carbohydrates and oils, which gives a very strong reason to select this plant for future evaluation for its pharmacological properties. It is interesting to note that this is the first report showing a thorough qualitative and quantitative analysis of fruit and stem bark of Solanum pubescens.
Conclusion: This study certainly helps us to detect specifically the cytotoxic compounds, which are presumed to play an important role in exerting curative properties of various ailments.
2. Benkeblia N. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil extracts of various onions (Allium cepa) and garlic (Allium sativum). J Lebensm-Wiss U-Technol 2004:37:263-8.
3. Dhar ML, Dhar MN, Dhawan BN, Mehrotra BN, Srimat RC, Tandon JS. Screening of Indian medicinal plants for biological activity. Indian J Exp Biol 1973:11:43-5.
4. Vijayan P, Preethi V, Prashanth SH, Raghu CH, Ashok G, Shrishailappa B et al. Cytotoxic activity of the total alkaloids isolated from different parts of Solanum pseudocapsicum. J Biol Pharm Bull 2004:27:528-30.
5. Badami S, Manohara Reddy SA, Kumar EP, Vijayan P, Suresh B. Antitumer activity of total alkaloid fraction of Solanum pseudocapsicum leaves. J Phytother Res 2003:17:1001-4.
6. Sumalatha P, Hemamalini K, Shwetha R, Uma Vasi Reddy. Antinociceptive screening of methanol extract of Solanum Pubescens. Int J Pharm 2013:4(2):149-51.
7. Reddy KN, Reddy CS, Trimurthulu G. Ethnobotanical Survey on respiratory disorders in Eastern Ghats of Andhra Pradesh, India. J Ethnobot Leaflets 2006:10:139-48.
8. Hemamalini K, Vijusha M. Antidiabetic activity of Methanolic extracts of leaves of Anogeissus acuminate, Roxburgh ex candolle and Solanum pubescens Willd by Alloxan induced model in Rats. J Der Pharma Let 2012:4(5):1445-60.
9. Hemamalini K, Ramya Krishna V, Anurag Bhargav, Uma Vasireddy. Hepatoprotective activity of Tabebuia rosea and Solanum pubescens against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2012:5:4.
10. Hemamalini K, Ashok P, Sunny G, Kumarreddy S, Ganesh G, Santhoshini K, et al. Gastro protective activity of Gymnosporia emerginata, Solanum pubescens and Anigeissus accuminata leaf extract against ethanol induced gastric mucosal injury in rats. Int J Pharm Biomed Res 2011:2(1):38-42.
11. Niyogi P, Raju NJ, Reddy PG, Rao BG. Formulation and Evaluation of Anti-inflammatory activity of Solanum pubescens Wild extracts gel on albino Wister rats. Int J Pharm 2012:2(3):484-90.
12. Deepika R, Hemamalini K, Shashi Priya G, Uma Vasireddy. CNS Activity of the methanol extracts of Solanum pubescens in experimental animal model. IOSR J Pharm Bio Sci 2013:5(1):48-51.
13. Anurag Bhargav, Hemamalini K, Uma Vasireddy, Suvidha S, Vijusha M, Lavanya C H. Antidiarrheal activity of methanolic extract of leaves of Solanum pubescens Willd and Gymnosporia Emerginata. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2012:5(2):226-7.
14. Krishna Kumari GN, Jagan MRL, Raja Rao KV, Prakasa Rao SN, Kaneko K, Mitsuhashi H. Solanopubamine, A Steroidal alkaloid from Solanum pubescens. J Phytochem 1985:24(6):1369-71.
15. Krishna Kumari GN, Jagan Mohan Rao L, Raja Rao KV, Prakasa Rao NS, Ko Kaneko, Hiroshi Mitsuhashi. Solanopubamides A and B, two further steroidal alkaloids from Solanum pubescens. J Phytochem 1986:25 (8), 2003-4.
16. Krishna Kumari GN, Jagan Mohan Rao L, Prakasa Rao NS. Flavonol 3-O-methyl ethers From Solanum pubescens. J Nat Prod 1985:48(1):149-50.
17. Solanum pubescens wild. Phytographia: 5. t. 3. (1794) FBI 4:230, Gamble, 2, 936, (1883).
18. Marco Leonti, Otto Sticher, Michael Heinrich. Medicinal plants of the Popoluca, MÃ©xico: organoleptic properties as indigenous selection criteria. J Ethnopharmcol 2002:81(3):307â€“15.
19. Jackson, BP, Snowdown DW. Powdered vegetable drugs, Cheer Chil Ltd. London; 1968.25.
20. Palanisamy P, Jayakar B, Kumuthavalli MV, Yoganath Kumar, Srinath KR Preliminary phytochemical evaluation of whole plant extracts of Dipteracanthus prostrates nees. Int Res J Pharma 2012:3 (1):150-3.
21. Kokoshi GJ, Kokoshi JR, Sharma FJ. Fluorescence of powdered vegetable drugs under ultra violet radiation. J Am Pharm Assoc 1958:38 (10):715-7.
22. Chase CR, Pratt RF. Fluorescence of powdered vegetable drugs with particular reference to the development of systems of identification. J Am. Pharm Assoc 1949:38:324-33.
23. Harbone JB. Phytochemical methods, a guide to modern techniques of plant analysis, Chapman and Hall: London; 1973. p. 1-271.
24. Obdoni BO, Ochuko PO. Phytochemical studies and comparative efficacy of the crude extracts of some Homostatic plants in Edo and Delta States of Nigeria. Global J Pure Appl Sci 2001:8:203-8.
25. Chandler SF, Dodds JH. The effect of phosphate, nitrogen and sucrose on the production of phenolics and solasidine in callus cultures of Solanum laciniatum. J Plant Cell Rep 1993:2:105-10.
26. Woisky R, Salatino A. Analysis of Propolis: Some parameters and procedures for chemical quality control. J Api Res 1998:37:99-105.
27. Seifter S, Dayton S, Novic B, Muntwyler E. Quantitative detection of glycogen fractions by anthrone method. J Arch Biochem Biophys 1950:25:191.
28. Ansari MM, Ahmad J, Ahmad A, Ansari SH. Pharmacognostic characterization and standardization of Morus alba stem bark. J Med Aro Plant Sci 2006:28(1):31-6.
29. Kokate CK. Textbook of Pharmacognosy. 4 th edition. Vallabh Prakashan: New Delhi; 1994. p. 112-20.
30. Olmstead RG, Palmer JD. Implications for the phylogeny, classification and biogeography of Solanum from cpDNA restriction site variation. Sys Bot 1997:22(1):19-29.
31. Caicedo AL, Schaal BA. Heterogeneous evolutionary processes affect â€™Râ€™ gene diversity in natural populations of Solanum pimpinellifolium. Proceedings of the J National Academy of Sciences USA 2004;101 (50):17444-9.
32. Daunay MC, Chadha ML. Solanum melongena L. In: Gruben GJH & Denton OA (eds. ). Plant resources of tropical Africa 2. Vegetables. Wageningen: PROTA Foundations-Backhuys Publishers-CTA, 2004:21-23.
33. Trease GE, Evans E. Pharmacog. 13th edition. Baillier Tindall; 1989. p. 282-396.
34. Pimento AM, Montegro MC, Ara Ujo AN, Martinez JC. Applications of sequential injections analysis to Pharmaceutical analysis. J Pharma Biomed Anal 2006:40:16-34.
35. Murti Y, Yogi B, Pathak D. Pharmacognostic standardization of leaves of Calotropis procera (Ait) R. Br Int J Ayur Res 2011:1(1):14-7.
36. Radhika Mahadev, Ramakrishnaiah H, Krishna V, Naveen Kumar N. Chemical composition of the essential oil from the fruits of Solanum erianthum D. Don. J Essent Oilâ€“Bear Plants 2012:15(3):387â€“91.
37. Hemen Sarma, Aniruddha Sarma. Solanum nigrum L. a nutraceutical enriched herb or invasive weed? Int Conf Envi Bio Sci. IACSIT Press, Singapore. J IPCBEE 2011:21:105-9.
38. Akintayo L, Ogundajo, Ibrahim A, Oladosu, Isiaka A. Ogunwande, Guido Flamini, Moses Owolabi S. Study on the volatile constituents of Solanum nigrum var. virginicum L. from Nigeria. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2013:3(1):94-8.
39. Feki H, Koubaa I, Jaber H, Makniand J, Damak M. Characteristics and chemical composition of Solanum elaeagnifolium seed oil. J Eng Appl Sci 2013:8(9):708-12.
40. Agoreyo BO, Obansa ES, Obanor EO. Comparative nutritional and phytochemical analyses of two varieties of solanum melongena. J Sci World 2012:7 (1):5-8.
41. Vijayan P, Preethi V, Prashanth SH, Raghu Chandrasheker H, Ashok G, Shrishailappa B, et al. Cytotoxic activity of the total alkaloids isolated from different parts of Solanum pseudocapsicum. J Biol Pharma Bull 2004:27:528-30.
42. Mohammed Saleem TS, Madhusudhana Chetty C, Ramakanth S, Alagusundaram M, Ganaprakash K, et al. Solanum nigrum Linn. -A Review. J Pharmacog Rev 2009:3(6):342-5.