EVALUATION OF IN VITRO ANTICANCER AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES FROM LEAF EXTRACTS OF MEDICINAL PLANT CLIDEMIA HIRTA
Objective: To evaluate the anticancer and antioxidant activity of medicinal plant Clidemia hirta extracted in different solvents.
Methods: Crude extracts were prepared from the leaves of Clidemia hirta using ethanol, petroleum ether and chloroform solvents. Anticancer activities and antioxidant properties were assayed using standard yellow dye 3-(4,5-dimethyl-2-thiazolyl)-2,5-diphenyl-2H-tetrazolium bromide (MTT) and 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picryl hydrazyl (DPPH) free radical scavenging assay respectively.
Results: We found that the ethanol extract had higher inhibition activities against Dalton's lymphoma ascites (DLA) cancer cell line, 50% DLA cell line inhibition at 68Âµg/ml, while 50% inhibition by petroleum ether and chloroform extracts were at 160Âµg/ml and 172Âµg/ml, respectively. The antioxidant activity requires5Âµg/ml of ethanol extract to trap 50% of DPPH (IC50), whereas the positive control ascorbic acid trapped 50% of DPPH (IC50) at 3.5Âµg/ml.
Conclusion: The prepared leaf extracts with different solvents of Clidemia hirta showed the antiproliferative and antioxidant activity in dose-dependent manner. Further works is required to identify the biologically active chemical constituents, responsible for cancer cell growth inhibition from this plant.
2. Kasahara S, Hemini S. Medicinal Herb Index in Indonesia, Bogor, Indonesia, P. T. Eisai Indonesia; 1998. p. 1-2.
3. Ferguson PJ, Kurowska E, Freeman DJ, Chambers AF, Koropatnick DJ. A flavonoid fraction from cranberry extract inhibits proliferation of human tumor cell lines. J Nutr 2004;134:1529-35.
4. Jo EH, Hong HD, Ahn NC, Jung JW, Yang SR, Park JS, et al. Modulations of the Bcl-2/Bax family were involved in the chemopreventive effects of licorice root (Glycyrrhizauralensis Fisch) in MCF-7 human breast cancer cell. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:1715-9.
5. Chen MS, Chen D, Dou QP. Inhibition of proteasome activity by various fruits and vegetables is associated with cancer cell death. In Vivo 2004;18:73-80.
6. Ivanova D, Gerova D, Chervenkov T, Yankov T. Polyphenols and antioxidant capacity of Bulgarian medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;96:145-50.
7. Devakumar DJ, Keerthana V, Sudha SS. Identification of bioactive compounds by gc-ms analysis of syzygium jambos (l) collected from western ghats region coimbatore, tamil nadu. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2017;10:364-9.
8. Roger JP, Leslie NS, Roy E, Beverly L, Joel G, Stacy NH, et al. Outcome for children with medulloblastoma treated with radiation and cisplatin, CCNU, and vincristine chemotherapy. J Neurosurg 1994;81:690-8.
9. Nadeem M, PalniL MS, Purohit AN, Pandey H, Nandi SK. Propagation and conservation of Podophyllum hexandrum Royle: an important medicinal herb. Biol Conserv 2000;92:121-9.
10. Archana G, Lakshmi NM. Production of podophyllotoxin from Podophyllum hexandrum: a potential natural product for clinically useful anticancer drugs. Cytotechnology 2000;34:17-26.
11. Cragg GM, Schepartz SA, Suffness M, Grever MR. The taxol supply crisis. New NCI policies for handling the large-scale production of novel natural product anticancer and anti-HIV agents. J Nat Prod 1993;56:1657-8.
12. Cragg GM, Boyd MR, Cardellina JH, Newman DJ, Snader KM, Mc Cloud TG. Ethnobotany and drug discovery: the experience of the US National Cancer Institute. In: Ethnobotany and the search for new drugs. Wiley, Chichester (Ciba Found Symp 185); 1994. p. 178-96.
13. Wang HK. Plant-derived anticancer agents currently in clinical use or clinical trials. Investigation Drugs J 1998;1:92-102.
14. Bansal AK, Bilaspuri GS. Impacts of oxidative stress and antioxidants on semen functions. Vet Med Int 2010. Doi:10.4061/2011/686137.
15. Amel OH, Malek BH, Hichem BJ, Ali L, Mahjoub A, Boulbaba S. Antioxidant and antiacetylcholinesterase activities of extracts from Rapistrum rugosum in Tunisia. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2013;3:367-74.
16. Luciana LM, FaÂ´bio SM, Gilda GL, Alexandre SR, Tereza dos Santos C, Cintia SC, et al. Screening of brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method. Phytother Res 2001;15:127-30.
17. Stocker R. Dietary and pharmacological antioxidants in atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol 1999;10:589-97.
18. Lingnert H, Vallentin K, E Eriksson C. Measurement of antioxidative effect in the model system. J Food Process Preserv 1979;3:87-103.
19. Ames BN, Shigenaga MK, Hagen TM. Oxidants, antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1993;90:7915-22.
20. Halliwell B. Oxygen and nitrogen are pro-carcinogens. Damage to DNA by reactive oxygen, chlorine and nitrogen species: measurement, mechanism and the effects of nutrition. Mutat Res 1999;443:37-52.
21. Dianita R, Ramasamy K, Abrahman N. Antibacterial activity of different extracts of Clidemia hirta (L.) D. Don leaves. Planta Med 2011;77:11.
22. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65:55-63.
23. Kumar RS, Sivakumar T, Sunderam RS, Gupta M, Mazumdar UK. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of B. racemosa L. Brazilian J Med Biol Res 2005;38:1015-24.
24. Mondal SK, Muzumder UK. In vitro antioxidant activity of Diospyros malabarica Kostel bark. Indian J Exp Biol 2006;44:39-44.
25. Ilavarasan R, Mallika M, Venkataraman S. Antiinflammatory and free radical scavenging activity of Ricinus communis root extract. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;103:478-80.
26. Atiqah A, Halimhilmi ZM, Amirin S, Sabariah I. Antioxidant properties of gynura procumbens extracts and their inhibitory effects on two major human recombinant cytochrome p450s using a high-throughput luminescence assay. Asian J Pharma Clin Res 2014;7:36-41.
27. Fleischauer AT, Simonsen N, Arab L. Antioxidant supplements and risk of breast cancer recurrence and breast cancer-related mortality among postmenopausal women. Nutr Cancer 2003;46:15-22.
28. McClatchey W. The ethnopharmacopoeia of Rotuma. J Ethnopharmacol 1996;50:147-56.
29. MelÃ©ndez PA, Capriles VA. Antibacterial properties of tropical plants from Puerto Rico. Phytomedicine 2006;13:272-6.