PREPARATION AND IN-VITRO EVALUATION OF DESLORATADINE FLOATING TABLETS
Objective: Desloratadine is histamine H1 â€“ receptor antagonist used in treatment of allergic and rhinitis conditions. The tablets were prepared by direct compression technique,using polymers such as Carbopol 934P,Carbopol 940P either alone or combination and other excipients such as NaHCO3,citric acid, mannitol, avicel pH 102, SDL.
Methods: The prepared tablets were evaluated in terms of their physical properties, hardness, % friability, weight variation, content uniformity, drug-excipient compatibility (FTIR), in-vitro release, floating properties and swelling index. Result shows that as amount of carbopol 934P increased the drug release decreased due to increase penetration of water in to polymer. It was found that increase sodium bicarbonate concentration cause an increase in the floating time (FLT) were also increased drug release while floating time was decreased due to decrease in matrix coherent.
Mannitol showed the best release properties as a diluent when compared with Avicel pH 102 and SDL the drug release was accelerated.
Results: Swelling index studies of selected formula (F9) 96% compared with other formulas gave rapid release of desloratadine that indicated a combined effect of both diffusion and erosion mechanisms on drug release from floating dosage form.
Conclusion: The stability of the selected formula (9) was also studied at different temperatures (40, 50 and 60oC) for three months and the calculated shelf life data was found to be about 2.7 years.
2. Reddy L, Murth R, Crit Rev. J Ther Drug Carrier System 2002;19:553-85.
3. Jamif Kumar S, Sharma S, Vishva Karma Pandsingh L. Review on stomach specific drug delivery systems; Development and evaluation. IJRPBs 2011;2(4);1427-33.
4. Arora S, Ali A, Ahuja, A Khar, Rk, Babooten 95, Floating drug delivery systems: A Review. AAPs Pharm Sci Tech 2005;6(3), 72-90.
5. Chein Yiew. Novel drug delivery system. Vol. 50. 2nded. New York; Marcel Dekker Inc; p. 164-77.
6. Harman Preet Singh, Mandeep Kaur, Hitesh Verma. Optimization & evaluation of desloratadineoralstrip. The Scientific World J 2013;Article ID 395681, 9 pages.
7. Jay W Marks, MD. Medicine J Net Com 2013;28.
8. Chinam N, Arethi B. Design and evaluation of sustained release bilayer tablets of propranolol hydro chloride. J Acta Pharm 2007;57:479-89.
9. Sameer Singh, Kalpana Prajapati, AK Pathak, A Mishra. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablet 2011;3:1.
10. Patel UB, Rathwal MR, Patel K. Studies in prospective process validation of cimetidine tablet dosage form. Int J of Res in Pharm and Biomed Sci 2011;2(4):1823-36.
11. Chandrasekhara Rao Baru, S Vidyadhara, KV Raghavedra Roa, K Vanithaprakash, B Umashankar. Formulation and evaluation of Ibruprofenfloatingtablets. IJPCBs 2012;2(4):472-81.
12. Abhay Kumar Mourya Skp, SK Jain, Ajay Kumar, Atul Kumar. Thakran and Shashi Alok. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of Acetaminophen. IJPSR 2012;3 (1):610-4.
13. M Mohan Varma, P Anita. Design and evaluation of gastro retentive floating drug delivery system of Metoprololtartrate. R Gutts J Pharm Sci 2012;2(Issue 2).
14. K Rama Koteswara Rao, K Rajya Lakshmi. Design, development and evaluation of elopidogrel bisulfate floating tablets. J Original Res Particle 2014;(1) 4:p. 19-26.
15. Ara N Patel, Falguni M Patel, Kamal Singh Rathore. Formulation and characterization of floating tablets of Diltiazemhydrochloride. JPBMS 2011;9(21).
16. United state pharmacopeia XXX, the upconuetion 2007.
17. Johns, Bengamin Onnoonay. Hydrophilic polymer viscosities on gastro retentive drug delivery systems of Gabapentin sustained release tablets. TUI 2010;354.
18. Ghassan Z A, Muthana F A, Chittneni M. Carbopol 934P, 940P, ultrez 10 as viscosity modifier of plan olein esters based nano-scaled emulsion containing ibuprofen. Pat. J Pharm Sci 2013;26 (1):75-83.
19. Jodupati Malakar, Amit Kumar Nayak, Floating bioadhesive matrix tablet of ondanserton HCL: optimization of hydrophilic polymer-blends. Asian J of Pharm 2013;7(4):174-83.
20. R Jacky Dias, S Shamling Sakhare, K Krishnal Mail. Design and development of mucoadhesive Acyclovir tablet. IJPR 2009;8(4):231-9.
21. Labot M, Ruben M, Allemandi D. Double-layered mucoadhesivetablets containing Nystatin. J AAPS Pharm Sci Tec 2002;3(3) 22:1-6.
22. PruthviPathry R, Katikaneni P. Ethyl cellulose matrix controlledrelease tablets of a water-suluble drug. Int J Pharm 1995;123:119-25.
23. Roohullah, Zafar Iqbal, Fazli Nasir, Muhammad AKhlaq, Sajid Khan sadazoai, Ameerzada, et al. Sustained release Carbamezapinematrix tablets prepared by solvent-evaporation technique using different polymers. Middle East J of Scientific Res 2013;15 (10):1368-74.
24. R V Kshirrsagar, Vikas Jain, S wattamwar. Effect of different viscosity grade HPMC, polymers on gastro retentive drug delivery of metformineHCl. Int J Pharm 2009;1:1.
25. St Prajapati, LD patel, DM patel. Studies on formulation and in-vitro evaluation of floating matrix tablets of Domperidone. Int J Pharm 2009;7(1):19-23.
26. Siepmann J, peppas N A. Modeling of drug release from delivery systems based on HPMC, J Adv Drug Del Rev (2011) 48:139-57.
27. Ashish Kumar, C P Jain, Saurah Arora, Vinit Raj, Satyajeet Singh and MohdRiyaz. Study on various factors affecting sustained release matrix tablet of Carbamazapine. Int J of Pharmacy and Integrated Life Sci 2013;4:82-91.
28. KP Gharti, P Thapa, Bhargava. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of floating tablets of HPMC and polyethylene oxide using ranitidine hydrochloride as a model drug. J of Young Pharmacists JYP 2012;4(4):201-8.
29. Deshmane D V, Joshi U M, channawar M A, Biyane K R, chandewar A N. Design and characterization of Carbopol-HPMC-Ec based bucal compact containing propranolol HCL. Int J Pharm Educ Res 2010;44(3).
30. Nawar M. Toma, Yehia I Khalil. Formulation and evaluation of bilayer tablets containing immediate release Aspirin layer and floating clopidogrellayer. Iraqi J Pharm Sci 2013;22(1).
31. Ebtihal, A Dakhil, Nidhal, K Maraie. Formulation and evaluation of trifluperazine hydrochloride orodispersibletablets. Int J Pharm 2014;6:1.
32. Jyotsana Madan, A K Sharma, Rammik Singh. Fast dissolving tablets of Aloevera gel. Tropical J of Pharm Res 2009;8 (1):63-70.
33. Jivraj M, Martini LG, Thomson CM. An overview of the different excipients useful for the direct compression of tablets. J Pharm Sci and Technology Today 2000;3(2):58-63.
34. Mangukia Dhruv K, Asija Sangecta R, Patel Chirag J, Patel Jaimin R, SojitraIshitas. Formulation and evaluation of self-pore forming osmotic tablets of glipizide. Int J Pharm 2012;3(4):365.
35. Shreera H Shah, Jayvadan K Patel, Nirav V Patel. Formulation and development of gastro retentive multiâ€“layer coated tablets containing gatifloxacin H. pylori infection. J Der Pharmacialette 2010;2(4):384-92.