JOB SATISFACTION OF PHARMACISTS IN ETHIOPIA: THE CASE OF HARAR TOWN

  • Bereket Molla Tigabu Haramaya University, school of Pharmacy, clinical pharmacy unit.
  • Mintesnot Mengesha Haramaya University, school of Pharmacy, clinical pharmacy unit.

Abstract

Objective: To assess job satisfaction of pharmacists in Harar town, Eastern Ethiopia.

Methods: A prospective cross sectional study was conducted using the self administered questionnaire among pharmacy professionals working in Harar town, eastern Ethiopia from Feb 20 – Apr 20, 2014. Statistical analysis was carried out using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS), version 16.0. Frequencies cross tabs and a non-parametric Mann-Whitney test was done to analyze data.

Results: Among 43 total respondents most 32(74.4%) were satisfied by their job and the rest 11(25.6%) are not satisfied by their job. Monthly income (P=0.002), years of experience (P=0.015), considering working in appropriate carrier (P=0.002) and given professional freedom by management (P=0.000) was found to have an association with job satisfaction.

Conclusion: Most of the respondents claimed that they were satisfied by their job and most of the respondents want to learn post graduate program in pharmacy in the future.

 

Keywords: Job satisfaction, Pharmacy professional, Self administered questionnaire.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.

Author Biography

Bereket Molla Tigabu, Haramaya University, school of Pharmacy, clinical pharmacy unit.

MSc in clinical pharmacy

Lecturer and clinical pharmacist in Haramaya University School of Pharmacy

References

1. Fernandes L, Rodrigues V, Ribeiro M and Pinto I. Work Satisfaction within Community Pharmacy Professionals. Advances in pharmacology and pharmacy. 2014; 2(1): 6-12
2. Chan XH and Wuliji T. Global Pharmacy work force and migration report: A call for action. International pharmaceutical federation. 2006. www.fip.org/hr
3. Gonzalez-Martin G, Joo I and Sanchez I. Evaluation of the impact of pharmaceutical care program in children with asthma. Patient education and counseling. 2003; 49(1):13-19.
4. Beedemariam G and Gedif T. Assessment of pharmacy work force in Ethiopia. Ethiopian pharmacy association and Addis Ababa Univerity. 2011.
5. Chau G, Yee L, Sim B, Tan K, Sin N, Hassali M, Shafie A and Ooi G. Job satisfaction, organization commitment and retention in the public workforce: a survey among pharmacists in Malaysia. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2013; 23: 32-35
6. Lau WM, Pang J, and Chui W. Job satisfaction and the association with involvement in clinical activities among hospital pharmacists in Hong Kong. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 2011;19: 253-263
7. El haji M, Kheir N, Zaidan M and Jewesson P. Pharmacist characteristics, medication use perceptions, and professional satisfaction: a first national survey in the state of Qatar. Journal of healthcare leadership. 2011;3: 9-28
8. Ahmed SM, Tolera M and Angamo MT. Assessment of job satisfaction among Pharmacy professionals in Southwest Ethiopia. International journal of pharmaceutical science and research. 2013; 4(6): 2351-2358.
9. Maio V, Goldfarb N, and Hartmann C. Pharmacists’ Job Satisfaction: Variation by Practice Setting. Pharmacy and therapeutics. 2004; 29 (3): 186-188
10. Hardigan P and Carvajal M. Job Satisfaction among Practicing Pharmacists: A Rasch Analysis. The Internet Journal of Allied Health Sciences and Practice. 2007; 5(4): 1-9.
Statistics
628 Views | 741 Downloads
How to Cite
Tigabu, B. M., and M. Mengesha. “JOB SATISFACTION OF PHARMACISTS IN ETHIOPIA: THE CASE OF HARAR TOWN”. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vol. 6, no. 9, 1, pp. 449-52, https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ijpps/article/view/1845.
Section
Original Article(s)