ANTI-CANCER POTENTIAL OF POLYSACCHARIDE ISOLATED FROM METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF TINOSPORA CORDIFOLIA STEM BARK
Objective: The exploration of the anticancer potential of polysaccharide isolated from the methanolic extract of Tinospora cordifolia (T. cordifolia) stem bark against breast cancer in DMBA-induced female albino Wistar rat models were examined by various hematological parameters.
Methods: Analysis of Red blood cell (RBC), White blood cell (WBC) and platelet level, Tumor markers Carcino Embryonic Antigen (CEA) and Cancer Antigen 15.3 (CA 15.3) in the serum, was done in the normal, cancer and compound treated rats using specific kits. Histological studies were performed to examine the changes in the tissue morphology and cell patterns in breast tissue.
Results: The decreased levels of RBC, WBC and platelets in 7,12-Dimethylbenz [a] anthracene (DMBA)-induced breast cancer (Group III) animals were revived to the normal conditions in polysaccharide treated breast cancer (Group IV) animals as that of normal (Group I). The level of tumor markers CEA and CA 15.3, was found elevated in serum of DMBA-induced breast cancer groups (Group III) when compared to their levels in the normal groups (Group I) whereas polysaccharide treatment (Group IV) prevented this rise in the levels of tumor markers. The histological studies on the breast tissue samples of all the groups showed the appropriate features where the normal (Group I) animals were characterized with normal cells uniformly arranged without any change in orientation and morphology, DMBA-induced cancer (Group III) animals showed an improper orientation of cells arranged as glandular structures, as nest, or cords of various sizes or as solid sheets foci of necrosis in some areas with margins infiltrating, pushing, circumcised or mixed and the polysaccharide treated (Group IV) animals showed results resembling that of the normal (Group I) animals.
Conclusion: Thus, polysaccharide is proved as an effective chemo preventive agent against breast cancer.
2. Yong-chuan Wang, Li-juan Wei, Jun-tian Liu, Shi-xia Li, Qing-sheng Wang. Comparison of cancer incidence between china and the USA. Cancer Biol Med 2012;9:128-32.
3. Parekh J, Chanda S. Phytochemicals screening of some plants from the western region of India. Plant Arch 2008;8:657-62.
4. Premalatha B, Rajgopal G. Cancer-an ayurvedic perspective. Pharmacol Res 2005;51:19-30.
5. Nayampalli SS, Ainapure SS, Samant BD, Kudtarkar RG, Desai NK, Gupta KC. A comparative study of diuretic effects of Tinospora cordifolia and hydrochlorothiazide in rats and a preliminary phase I study in human. J Postgrad Med 1988;34:233-6.
6. Tamboli, Saleem B, Sumit P Sontakke, Rahul B Parsode. Study of hypoglycemic activity of Tinospora cordifolia in alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2013;559-61.
7. Raghunathan K, Sharma PV. Effect of T. cordifolia miers (Guduchi) on alloxan induced hyperglycemia. J Res Indian Med 1969;3:203-9.
8. Jeyachandran R, Francis Xavier T, Anand SP. Antibacterial activity of stem extracts of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) hook. fand thomson. Anc Sci Life 2003;23:40-3.
9. Thahera, Parveen D, Shaik Nyamathulla. Antihyperlipidemic activity of the methanolic extract from the stems of Tinospora cordifolia on sprague dawley rats. Pelagia Res Library Der Pharm Sinica 2011;2:104-9.
10. Stanely Mainzen Prince P, Menon VP. Hypoglycaemic and hypolipidaemic action of alcohol extract of Tinospora cordifolia roots in chemical induced diabetes in rats. Phytother Res 2003;17:410-3.
11. Sharma V, Pandey D. Protective role of Tinospora cordifolia against lead-induced hepatotoxicity. Toxicol Int 2010;17:12-7.
12. Nadkarni KM. Indian material medica. In: Nadkarni KM. editor. Bombay: Popular Book Depot; 1954. p. 1228.
13. Duraisankar M, Ravichandran V. Antipyretic potential of polyherbal ayurvedic products. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:146-50.
14. Priyanka Sharma, Pradeep K Goyal. Modulation of biochemical and antioxidant enzymes in blood by Tinospora cordifolia against gamma radiation-mediated damage in mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:106-12.
15. Manikkam Rajalakshmi, Roy Anita. ?-cell regenerative efficacy of a polysaccharide isolated from a methanolic extract of Tinospora cordifolia stem on streptozotocin-induced diabetic wistar rats. Chem Biol Interact 2016;243:45-53.
16. Rajalakshmi M, Eliza J, Cecilia Edel Priya, Nirmala A, Daisy P. Anti-diabetic properties of Tinospora cordifolia stem extracts on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2009;3:171-80.
17. Coombes RC. Tumor-markers-their role in clinical cancer management. J Clin Chem Clin Biochem 1981;19:216.
18. Humason GL. Animal tissue techniques. WH Freeman and Company, San Francisco. 4th edition; 1979.
19. Duncan BD. Multiple range tests for correlated and heteroscedastic means. Biometrics 1957;13:164-76.
20. Sun Y. Structure and biological activities of the polysaccharides from the leaves, roots and fruits of Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer: an overview. Carbohydr Polym 2011;85:490-9.
21. Birgergard G, Aapro MS, Bokemeyer C, Dicato M, Drings P, Hornedo J. Cancer-related anemia: pathogenesis, prevalence and treatment. Ann Oncol 2005;68:3-11.
22. Bhuavaneswari S, Murugesan S. Antitumor activity of Chondrococcus hornemanni and Spyridia fusiformis on dalton’s lymphoma ascites in mice. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2012;7:173-7.
23. Duffy MJ. Serum tumor markers in breast cancer: are they of clinical value? Clin Chem 2006;52:345-51.
24. Waalkes TP, Enterline JP, Sharper JH, Abeloff MD, Ettinger DS. Biological markers for breast carcinoma. Cancer 1984;53:64-51.
25. Beard DB, Haskell CM. Carcinoembryonic antigen in breast cancer, clinical review. Am J Med 1986;80:40-5.
26. Loprinzi CL, Tormey DC, Rasmussen P, Falkson G, Davis TE, Falkson HC, et al. Prospective evaluation of carcinoembryonic antigen levels and alternating chemotherapeutic regimens in metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1986;4:46-56.
27. Colomer R, Ruibal A, Salvader L. Circulating tumor marker levels in advanced breast carcinoma correlate with the extent of metastatic disease. Cancer 1989;64:1.
28. Duffy MJ, Shering S, Sherry F, McDermott E, O'Higgins N. CA 15-3:a prognosticmarker in breast cancer. Int J Biol Markers 2000;15:330-3.
29. Lakshmi A, Subramanian S. Chemotherapeutic effect of tangeretin, a polyethoxylated flavones studied in 7, 12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene induced mammary carcinoma in experimental rats. Biochimie 2014;99:96-109.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.