DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RP-HPLC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE, OLMESARTAN MEDOXOMIL AND THEIR RELATED SUBSTANCES IN COMBINED TABLET DOSAGE FORM
Objective: Development of RP-HPLC method for determination of Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), Olmesartan medoxomil (OLM) and their related substances in combined tablet dosage form and validation of the developed method.
Methods: Gradient mobile phase system was used for estimation of drug contents and their related substances. Mobile phase A contained the mixture of Acetonitrile and 15 mM Phosphate buffer (pH adjusted to 3.4 with orthophosphoric acid) in the ratio of 20:80. Mobile phase B contained the same mixture in the ratio of 80:20. Chromatographic separation was carried out at the mobile phase flow rate of 0.8 mL/min using C18 Phenomenax inplace of Enable (250 Ã— 4.6 mm) 5 Î¼m column and detection was made at 254 nm.
Results: The linearity of developed method was tested in the range of 62.5-187.5 Î¼g/mL for Hydrochlorothiazide, 100-300 Î¼g/mL for Olmesartan medoxomil, 1-1.8 Î¼g/mL for Hydrochlorothiazide. The % recovery was found to be 99.88-100.67 % (HCTZ), 99.14-99.91 % (OLM), 99.11-100.71% (HCTZ-IMP) and 98.13-100.83% (OLM-IMP). The assay of marketed formulation was found to be 99.78% (HCTZ) and 99.26% (OLM).
Conclusion: A simple, precise and accurate RP-HPLC method was developed for determination of Hydrochlorothiazide, Olmesartan medoxomil and their related substances.
2. Jothieswari D, Anandkumar K, Vijayasanthi D, Vijayakumar B, Priya D, Stephen Rathinaraj B. A Validated UV Spectrophotometric Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Amlodipine besylate, Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Bulk and in Combined Tablet Dosage Form. J of Pharm Biol Sci 2010;5(13).
3. Kavitha J, Muralidharan S. Development and Validation of New Method for Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide and Losartan potassium by RP-HPLC:Its Application to Routine Quality Control Analysis. Int J of Chem Tech Res 2010;2(2):880-84.
4. Tengli AR, Gurupadayya BM. Method Development and Validation of Tablet Dosage form Containing Losartan, Atenolol and Hydrochlorthiazide Using Internal Standard by RPHPLC. J Chromat Separation Techniq 2013;4(5).
5. Kumbhar ST, Chaugule GK, Tegeli VS, Gajeli VS, Thorat YS, Shivsharan US. A Validated HPTLC Method for Simultaneous Quantification of Nebivolol and Hydrochlorothiazide in Bulk and Tablet Formulation. Int J of Pharm Sci Drug Res 2011;3(1):62-6.
6. Abdullah Al Masud Md Mahfuzur R, Moynul Hasan, Md Kamal Hossain Ripon, Ahsanur, Rahman Khan, Md Rabiul Islam, Md Raihan S. Validated Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Olmesartan Medoxomil in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Int J of Pharm Life Sci 2012;1(3).
7. Vora BN, Parmar RR, Shah DA, Nayak PP. Absorption Correction Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Metoprolol Succinate and Olmesartan Medoxomil in Combined Tablet Dosage Form. J of Pharm Sci Bioscientific Res 2012;2(2):54-7.
8. Hamrapurkar PD, Gadapayale KK. Optimization and Validation of RP-HPLC Stability Indicating Method for Determination of Olmesartan Medoxomil and Its Degraded Product. Int J of Applied Sci and Engineering 2013;11(2):137-47.
9. Rane VP, Patil KR, Sangshetti JN, Yeole RD, Shinde DB. Stability-Indicating LC Method for the Determination of Olmesartan in Bulk Drug and in Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Chromatographia 2009;69:169-73.
10. Della Grace Thomas Parambi, Mathew M, Ganesan V, Jose A, Revikumar KG. A Validated HPTLC Determination of an Angiotensin receptor blocker Olmesartan medoxomil from Tablet Dosage form. Int J of Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;4(3):36-9.
11. Sagirli O, Onal A, Toker SE, Sensoy D. Simultaneous HPLC Analysis of Olmesartan and Hydrochlorothiazide in Combined Tablets and in vitro Dissolution Studies. Chromatographia 2007;66:213-18.
12. Ashok kumar J, Sathya A, Senthil kumar K, Patil SN, Prathap B, Lokesh SB, Gopal V. Simultaneous Estimation of Olmesartan medoxomil and Hydrochlorothiazide by RP-HPLC Method from Combined Dosage Forms. Int J of Res and Pharm Sci 2010;1(1):24-7.
13. European Pharmacopoeia 7th ed. European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and Healthcare:Published by Council of Europe (Suppl 7.4):4347-48.
14. British Pharmacopoeia, Government of British,Vol-1:Published by Council of Europe;2011. p. 1072-73.
15. The International Conference on Harmonization, Q2(R1), Validation of Analytical Procedure:Text and Methodology;2005.