INCREASING THE SOLUBILITY OF DIPYRIDAMOLE USING POLYETHYLENE GLYCOLS
Objective: The objective of the present study is a determination of the limiting solubility of dipyridamole in water and optimal ratios of polyethylene glycol:dipyridamole at which formation of solid dispersion is observed.
Methods: UV-spectroscopy was used to determine the effect of polymer on limiting solubility of dipyridamole. Using low-temperature differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), it was made possible to obtain solid dispersions of dipyridamole with polyethylene glycols having average molecular weight 1000 and 1400.
Results: The optimal ratio of polymer:Drug is 1:1, and is 3:1 for PEG-1000 and PEG-1400 respectively. Joint dissolution of dipyridamole with PEG-1400 and PEG-1000 increases the drug content in the water by up to 8.1 times and up to 175 times, compared with the solution containing only dipyridamole.
Conclusion: using systems based on dipyridamole and polyethylene glycol with average molecular weight of 1000, may increase the bioavailability of the drug and consequently reduce the dosages. Wide range of ratios, in which the formation of solid dispersions is possible, enables to adjust the solubility of dipyridamole in neutral aqueous media.
2. Hasegawa A, Kawamura R, Nakagawa H, Sugimoto I. Application of solid dispersions with enteric coating agents to overcome some pharmaceutical problems. Chem Pharm Bull 1986;34:2183-90.
3. Hu LD, Liu Y, Tang X, Zhang Q. Preparation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation of sustained-release metformin hydrochloride pellets. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;64:185-92.
4. Kohri N, Miyata N, Takahashi M, Endo H, Iseki K, Miyazaki K, et al. Evaluation of pH-independent sustained-release granules of dipyridamole by using gastric-acidity-controlled rabbits and human subjects. Int J Pharm 1992;81:49-58.
5. Zhou R, Moench P, Heran C, Lu X, Mathias N, Faria TN, et al. Ph-dependent dissolution in vitro and absorption in vivo of weakly basic drugs:development of a canine model. Pharm Res 2005;22:188-92.
6. Zhang ZH, Wang CG, Sun GM, Li N, Peng B, Pan WS. Pharmacokinetics of two modified release system of dipyridamole in beagle dogs. J Chin Pharm Sci 2008;17:297-302.
7. Xu L, Luo Y, Feng J, Xu M, Tao X, He H, Tang X. Preparation and in vitro-in vivo evaluation of none gastric resident dipyridamole (DIP) sustained-release pellets with enhanced bioavailability. Int J Pharm 2012;422:9-16.
8. Gerasimov AV, Ziganshin MA, Gorbatchuk VV. A calorimetric study of the formation of phenacetin solid dispersions with PEG-1400 and pluronic F127. World Appl Sci J 2013;24:920-7.
9. Gerasimov AV, Ziganshin MA, Gorbatchuk VV, Usmanova LS. Formation of solid dispersion of PEG-1000 with phenacetin according to differential scanning calorimetry. Der Pharma Chemica 2013;5:149-55.
10. Gerasimov AV, Ziganshin MA, Gorbatchuk VV, Usmanova LS. Low molecular weight polyethylene glycols as matrix to obtain solid dispersions of sulfanilamide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:372-7.
11. Park HD, Bae JW, Park KD, Ooya T, Yui N, Jang J-H, et al. Surface modification of polyurethane using sulfonated PEG grafted polyrotaxane for improved biocompatibility. Macromol Res 2006;14:73-80.
12. Craig DQM. The mechanisms of drug release from solid dispersions in water-soluble polymers. Int J Pharm 2002;231:131-44.
13. Wang J, del Rosario LS, Demirdirek B, Bae A, Uhrich KE. Comparison of PEG chain length and density on amphiphilic macromolecular nanocarriers:Self-assembled and unimolecular micelles. Acta Biomater 2009;5:883-92.
14. Knop K, Hoogenboom R, Fischer D, Schubert US. Poly(ethylene glycol) in drug delivery:Pros and cons as well as potential alternatives. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 2010;49:6288-308.
15. Yakimova LS, Ziganshin MA, Sidorov VA, Kovalev VV, Shokova EA, Tafeenko VA, et al. Molecular recognition of organic vapors by adamantylcalixarene in QCM sensor using partial binding reversibility. J Phys Chem B 2008;112:15569-75.
16. Gerasimov AV, Ziganshin MA, Vandyukov AE, Kovalenko VI, Gorbatchuk VV, Caminade A-M, et al. Specific vapor sorption properties of phosphorus-containing dendrimers. J Colloid Interface Sci 2011;360:204-10.
17. Ziganshin MA, Bikmukhametova AA, Gerasimov AV, Gorbatchuk VV, Ziganshina SA, Bukharaev AA. The effect of substrate and air humidity on morphology of films of L-leucyl-L-leucine dipeptide. Prot Met Phys Chem Surf 2014;50:49-54.
18. Berbenni V, Marini A, Bruni G, Maggioni A, Cogliati P. Thermoanalytical and spectroscopic characterization of solid state dipyridamole. J Therm Anal Calorim 2002;68:413-22.