ASSESSMENT OF THE NUTRITIONAL BEHAVIOUR AMONG COLLEGE STUDENTS-A SURVEY
Objective: To assess the nutritional behaviour among college students.
Methods: A prospective observational survey was conducted randomly among college students in Guntur. A self-administered data collection form was designed to understand the nutritional behaviour of the subjects.
Results: A total of 300 subjects were included in the study, among them 225(75%) were females and 75(25%) were males. The survey revealed that most of them skipped their meals. A majority of 184(61.33%) students opted for high-fat diet and 268(89.33%) opted for starch-rich foods. A total of 222(74%) students usually eat four different varieties of vegetables but only 71(23.66%) of them eat fruits in each week.
Conclusion: From this study, it was evident that majority of students have poor dietary habits. Lack of awareness on balanced diet and due to their busy schedules, teenagers were not maintaining a proper diet. This could be reduced by bringing minimum awareness on dietary habits to them. Taking proper diet is very essential to reduce the risk of diseases in future and to improve nourishment.
2. Balanced Diet. Available from: www.healthline.com/health/ balanced-diet. [Last accessed on 05 Aug 2017]
3. WHO: Report on Nutrition; 2002. Available from: www. who.int/topics/nutrition/en/. [Last accessed on 05 Aug 2017].
4. Priyank Tripathi, Rajesh Venkataraman, Satish Kumar bp, Kumaraswamy M. Lifestyle factors: an alarm towards hypertension. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;4 Suppl:185-8.
5. Manisha Pandey, Rohit K Verma, Shubhini A Saraf. Nutraceuticals: a new era of medicine and health. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:11-5.
6. International nutrition and world food problems in perspective. Available from: www.fao.org/docrep/w0073e/ w0073e03.htm. [Last accessed on 05 Aug 2017]
7. Mayura A Kale, Suparna M Bindu, Pratima Khadkikar. Role of antioxidants and nutrition in oxidative stress: a review. Int J App Pharm 2015;7:1-4.
8. Harvey Berino J, V Hood, J Rourke T Terrance, A Dowaldt. Secker-walker. Food preferences predict eating behavior of very young Mohauk children. J Am Diet Assoc 1997;97:750-3.
9. Ali Barzegari, Mohsen, Ebrahimi, Mohammad Azizi, Kazem Ranjbar. A study of nutrition knowledge, attitudes and food habits of college students. World Appl Sci J 2011;15:1012-7.
10. Cotugna N, E Connie, RD Vickery, Sheldon, McBee. Sports nutrition for young athletes. J School Nursing 2005;21:323-8.
11. Oâ€™Dea A Jennifer. School-based health education strategies for the improvement of body image and prevention of eating problems: an overview of safe and successful interventions. J Health Educ 2005;105:11-33.
12. Oâ€™Dea A Jennifer, Abraham, Suzanne. Knowledge, beliefs, attitudes and behaviours related to weight control, eating disorders and body image in Australian trainee home economics and physical education teachers. J Health Educ 2001;33:332-40.
13. Food and health survey. International Food Information Council Foundation; 2015.
14. Kavey RW, Daniels SR, Lauer RM, Atkins DL, Hayman LL, Taubert K. American Heart Association guidelines for primary prevention of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease beginning in childhood. J Pediatr 2003;142:368-72.
15. V Krishna Prabha, Mahaboob MA. Formulation and nutrient analysis of stevia incorporated value-added products. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:30-2.s
16. The Food and Health Survey: Consumer Attitudes toward Food Safety, Nutrition and Health; 2015. Available from: www.foodinsight.org/2015-food-health-survey-consumer research. [Last accessed on 05 Aug 2017].
17. Added sugars. Available from: http://www.heart.org/ HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#.WZMyTlEjHIU. [Last accessed on 05 Aug 2017].
18. Health and diet survey. Food and Drug Administration [FDA]; 2014.
19. Weiss EC, Galuska DA, Khan LK, Serdula MK. Weight-control practices among U. S. adults 2001-2002. Am J Prev Med 2006;31:18-24.
20. World Health Organization. Diet nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases: Report of WHO Study Group, Technical Report Series No. 797, Geneva; 2002.