COMPARISON OF VOLATILE COMPOSITION OF SUPERCRITICAL CARBON DIOXIDE EXTRACT FROM RHIZOMES OF KOREAN MEDICINAL PLANT â€˜CHUN-KUNGâ€™ (CNIDIUM OFFICINALE MAKINO) BY DIRECT-AND SPME-GC/MS
Objective: The main purpose of this study was to evaluate the volatile composition of supercritical fluid extract (SFE) obtained from Cnidium officinale Makino rhizomes.
Methods: GC/MS analyses were carried out with the direct- and solid phase microextraction (SPME) of SFE obtained from rhizomes. In addition, GC/MS analysis was performed for the rhizomes of C. officinale using SPME.
Results: SPME-GC/MS analysis of the rhizomes revealed the separation of 23 components. Among these, Î²-phellandrene (20.38%), dictyotene (12.98%), Î²-pinene (10.59%), Î²-selinene (9.45%), eugenol (7.71%) and Î²-farnesene (7.09%) were found to be major components. In the SFE analyzed by direct-GC/MS, linoleic acid (19.26%), 2-methoxy-4-vinylphenol (18.98%), hexadecanoic acid (12.15%), and Î²-selinene (9.44%) were identified as major components. Whereas, 3,4-dihydrocoumarin (16.94%), shyobunone (14.07%), dictyotene (10.65%), p-cresol (10.17%), zierone (6.36%) and umbellulone (5.71%) were major components in the SFE analyzed by SPME-GC/MS.
Conclusion: The present study clearly suggested that the SPME-GC/MS analysis of SFE provided the separation of more number with diverse groups of compounds than the direct-GC/MS.
2. Bakkali F, Averbeck S, Averbeck D, Idaomar M. Biological effects of essential oils â€“ a review. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:446-75.
3. Herrero M, Mendiola JA, Cifuentes A, Ibanez E. Supercritical fluid extraction: recent advances and applications. J Chromatogr A 2010;1217:2495-511.
4. Reverchon E, De Marco I. SFE and fractionation of natural matter. J Supercrit Fluid 2006;38:146-66.
5. Chan KW, Ismail M. Supercritical carbon dioxide fluid extraction of Hibiscus cannabinus L. Seed oil: a potential solvent-free and high antioxidative edible oil. Food Chem 2009;114:970-5.
6. Delgado FJ, GonzÃ¡lez-Crespo J, Cava R, GarcÃa-Parra J, Ramirez R. Characterisation by SPME-GCâ€“MS of the volatile profile of a Spanish soft cheese PDO. Tortadel Casar during ripening. Food Chem 2010;118:182-9.
7. Prosen H, Kokalj M, Janes D, Kreft S. Comparison of isolation methods for the determination of buckwheat volatile compounds. Food Chem 2010;121:298-306.
8. Mesomo MC, Corazza ML, Ndiaye PM, Dalla Santa OR, Cardozo L, Scheer AP. Supercritical CO2 extracts and essential oil of ginger (Zingiber officinale R.): chemical composition and antibacterial activity. J Supercrit Fluid 2013;80:44-9.
9. Choi HS, Kim MSL, Sawamura M. Constituents of the essential oil of cnidium officinale Makino, a Korean medicinal plant. Flavour Frag J 2002;17:49-53.
10. Onishi Y, Yamamura T, Tauchi K, Sakamoto T, Tsukada K, Nunome S, et al. Expression of the antimetastatic effect induced by Juzen-taihoto is based on the content of Shimotsu-to constituents. Biol Pharm Bull 1998;21:761-5.
11. Ahn MY, Ryu KS, Lee YW, Kim YS. Cytotoxicity and L-amino acid oxidase activity of crude insect drugs. Arch Pharm Res 200;23:477-81.
12. Jeong SI, Kwak DH, Lee S, Choo YK, Woo WH, Keum KS, et al. Inhibitory effects of Cnidiumoffcinale Makino and Tabanusfulvus Meigan on the high glucose-induced proliferation of glomerular mesangial cells. Phytomedicine 2005;12:648-55.
13. Tahara E, Satoh T, Toriizuka K, Nagai H, Nunome S, Shimada Y, et al. Effect of Shimotsu-to (a Kampo medicine, Si-Wu-Tang) and its constituents on triphasic skin reaction in passively sensitized mice. Ethnopharmacol 1999;68:219-28.
14. Lee JH, Choi HS, Chung MS, Lee MS. Volatile flavor components and free radical scavenging activity of Cnidium officinale. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2002;34:330-8.
15. Jeong JB, Ju SY, Par, JH, Lee JR, Yun KW, Kwon ST, et al. Antioxidant activity in essential oils of Cnidium officinalemakino and Ligusticum huanxionghort and their inhibitory effects on DNA damage and apoptosis induced by ultraviolet B in mammalian cell. Cancer Epidemiol 2009;33:41-6.
16. Bae KE, Choi YW, Kim ST, Kim YK. Components of rhizome extract of Cnidium officinale Makino and their in vitro biological effects. Molecules 2011;16:8833-47.
17. Adams RP. Identification of Essential oil Components by Gas Chromatography/ Mass Spectrometry. Illinois: Allured Books; 2007.
18. Modey WK, Mulhollan DA, Raynor MW. Analytical supercritical fluid extraction of natural products. Phytochem Anal 1996;7:1-15.
19. Khajeh M, Yamini Y, Bahramifar N, Sefidkon F, Pirmoradei MR. Comparison of essential oils compositions of Ferula assa-foetida obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and hydro distillation methods. Food Chem 2005;91:639-44.
20. Pourmortazavi SM, Hajimirsadeghi SS. Supercritical fluid extraction in plant essential and volatile oil analysis. J Chromatogr A 2007;1163:2-24.
21. Nyam KL, Tan CP, Karim R, Lai OM, Long K, Man YBC. Extraction of tocopherol-enriched oils from Kalahari melon and roselle seeds by supercritical fluid extraction (SFE-CO2). Food Chem 2010;119:1278-83.
22. Sigurdsson S, Ogmundsdottir HM, Gudbjarnason S. The cytotoxic effect of two chemotypes of essential oils from the fruits of Angelica archangelica L. Anticancer Res 2005;25:1877-80.
23. Chizzola R. Composition of the essential oil of Chaerophyllum aromaticum (Apiaceae) growing wild in Austria. Nat Prod Commun 2009;4:1235-8.
24. Park YJ, Chung IM, Moon HI. Effects of immunotoxic activity of the major essential oil of Angelica purpuraefolia Chung against Aedesaegypti L. Immuno pharmacol Immunotoxicol 2010;32:611-3.
25. Mejri J, Abderrabba M, Mejri M. Chemical composition of the essential oil of Rutachalepensis L: inï¬‚uence of drying, hydro-distillation duration and plant parts. Ind Crop Prod 2010;32:671-3.
26. Teixeira B, Marques A, Ramos C, Neng NR, Nogueira JMF, Saraiva JA, et al. Chemical composition and antibacterial and antioxidant properties of commercial essential oils. Ind Cro Prod 2013;43:587-95.
27. Belliardo F, Bicchi C, Cordero C, Liberto E, Rubiolo P, Sgorbini B. Headspace-solid-phase microextraction in the analysis of the volatile fraction of aromatic and medicinal plants. J Chromatogr Sci 2006;44:416-29.
28. Paolini J, Nasica E, Desjobert JM, Muselli A, Bernardini AF, Costa J. Essential oil composition and volatile constituents of Adenostylesbriquetii Gamisans (synCacaliabriquetii), Phytochem Anal 2008;19:266-76.