SYNTHESIS OF DESGLYMIDODRINE FROM MIDODRINE BY CONVENTIONAL AMIDE HYDROLYSIS METHOD
Objective:Â The term prodrug involves chemically modifying inert compound which upon administration releases the active parent drug to elicit its pharmacological response within the body. Acting as a Î±-adrenergic agonist, desglymidodrine an active metabolite of amide prodrug midodrine is used for the treatment of essential and orthostatic hypotension. In the present study synthesis of desglymidodrine from midodrine was reported.
Methods:Â The synthesis was done by the conventional amide hydrolysis method.
Results:Â A novel synthesis of desglymidodrine was successfully achieved and spectrally elucidated by infrared spectroscopy (IR), 1H, 13C nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and mass analysis.
Conclusion:Â The acquired results were found to be accurate, the synthetic route appeared to be simple, cost-effective and time efficient. Hence the synthesized desglymidodrine can be as a reference standard for the estimation of the same.
2. Midodrine hydrochloride drug details. Available from: https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00211. [Last accessed on 20 Nov 2016].
3. Hideyuki Yoshida, Yuki Ohno, Kenichiro Yoshikuni, Kenichiro Tododroki, Hitoshi Nohta, Masatoshi Yamaguchi. Determination of midodrine in human plasma by high performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Anal Sci 2003;19:317-9.
4. Tiago Barth, Josefina Aleu, Monica Tollarico Pupo, Pierina Sueli Bonato, Isidro G Collado. HPLC analysis of midodrine and desglymidodrine in culture medium: Evaluation of static and shaken condition on the biotransformation by fungi. J Chrom Sci 2013;51:460-7.
5. Osama Abdel Sattar, Mamdouh R Rezk, Amr M Bandawy, Omaima M Khattab. Selective determination of midodrine hydrochloride in the presence of its acid degradation product. Anal Chem 2013;12:182-7.
6. Hemant K Jain, Kishor N Gujar, Varsha A Radhe. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of midodrine hydrochloride in bulk and tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:283-7.
7. Hemant K Jain, Kishor N Gujar, Varsha A Radhe. First order derivative spectrometric method development and validation for midodrine hydrochloride in bulk and tablets. World J Pharm Sci 2016;5:1760-7.
8. Mirinalini C Damle, Sunny R Salunke. Stability indicating HPTLC for the determination of midodrine hydrochloride. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:202-7.
9. Patel DP, Nair S, Suhagia BN, Patel BM. A novel, sensitive and selective method of UPLC/MS-MS for rapid simultaneous determination of midodrine and its active metabolite desglymidodrine in human plasma: application to support bioequivalence study in healthy human volunteers. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2016;131:355-63.
10. Ahmed A Ali, Medhat A Al-Ghobashy, Samar F Farid, Mohamed A Kassem. Development and validation of LC-MS/MS method for the determination of the prodrug midodrine and its active metabolite Desglymidodrine in plasma if ascetic patients: application to individualized therapy and comparative pharmacokinetics. J Chromtogr B 2015;991:34-40.