STUDIES ON KINETIC PARAMETERS AND BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF POLYPHENOL OXIDASE PURIFIED FROM JACKFRUIT (ARTOCARPUS HETEROPHYLLUS) WASTE
Objectives: Polyphenol oxidase activity was extensively studied in jackfruit for its role in enzymatic browning. PPO and the phenolic compound play a vital role in defensive mechanism against pest and diseases. Thus, to facilitate further studies in jack fruit waste, Polyphenol oxidase [PPO] was purified and characterized.
Methods: Partial Purification of PPO from waste done through a sequential process of ammonium sulfate precipitation, dialysis and ion-exchange chromatography [DEAE- Cellulose]. Then the partially purified PPO was subjected to check various parameters like molecular weight and kinetic activity, the following characteristics of enzyme are checked: SDS-PAGE, pH, temperature, thermal stability, heat inactivation, metal ions, surfactants and inhibitor.
Results: Purified PPO resulted in ~23 folds enriched in the specific activity of 1360 [Âµkat/mg] and it was found to be the monomer with a molecular weight of 63 kDa revealed by Coomasie Brilliant Blue staining. PPO exhibited optimum activity at pH 7.0 and temperature 20oC. PPO showed the maximum stability between pH 6.4- 7.6 at 10 oC - 40 oC. PPO showed the enzyme activity towards Diphenol> Triphenol> Monophenol, the substrate specificity was especially high towards the catechol at 0.1 M. The PPO activity was activated by Mn2+, Triton X- 100, EDTA, Sorbic acid and Citric acid, but inhibited by L- cysteine, Ascorbic acid, SDS, Cetyl trimethyl ammonium bromide [CTAB], K+, Zn2+, Ca2+ and Mg2+. Kinetic constant for PPO was found to be km= 15.82 mM and Vmax= 2182 U/ml min using catechol as substrate.
Conclusion: Partial Purification of PPO from waste done through a sequential process of ammonium sulfate precipitation, dialysis and ion-exchange chromatography [DEAE- Cellulose]. The best substrate for PPO was identified as catechol [diphenol] and best inhibitor was L-cysteine and ascorbic acid.
2. Zhao-Jian Gao, Xiao-Hong Han, Xing-Guo Xiao. Purification and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from leaves of Cleome gynandra L. Food Chem 2011;129:1012â€“8.
3. Karla A Batista, Gustavo L A Batista, Guilherme L Alves, Katia F Fernandes. Extraction, partial purification and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from Solanum lycocarpum fruits. J Mol Catal B Enzym 2014;102:211â€“7.
4. Jose L Navarro, Amparo Tarrega, Miguel A Sentandreu, Enrique Sentandreu. Partial purification and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from persimmon. Food Chem 2014;157:283-9.
5. Yi-Ming Tao, Le-Yi Yao, Qiu-Yan Qin, Wang Shen. Purification and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from jackfruit (artocarpus heterophyllus) bulbs. J Agric Food Chem 2013;61:12662âˆ’9.
6. Ni Eidhin MD, Murphy E, Beirne D. Polyphenol oxidase from apple [Malus domestica Borkh. CV Bramleyâ€™s seedling]: purification strategies and characterization. J Food Sci 2006;71:51â€“8.
7. Gao ZJ, Han XH, Xiao XG. Purification and characterisation of polyphenol oxidase from red Swiss chard [Beta vulgarissubspeciescicla] leaves. Food Chem 2009;117:342â€“8.
8. Nagai T, Suzuki N. Partial purification of polyphenol oxidase from Chinese cabbage Brassica rapa L. J Agric Food Chem 2001;49:3922â€“6.
9. Yang CP, Fujita S, Ashrafuzzaman M, Nakamura N, Hayashi N. Purification and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from banana [Musa sapientumL.] pulp. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48:2732â€“5.
10. Deepika gupta, Sonia mann, Avijit sood, Gupta K. Phytochemical, Nutritional and Antioxidant activity Evaluation of seeds of jackfruit [Artocarpous heterolphyllus Lam.]. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2011;2(4).
11. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr A L, Randall RJ. J Biol Chem 1951:265.
12. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of the head bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227:680-5.
13. Gawlik-Dziki U, Szymanowska U, Baraniak B. Characterisation of polyphenol oxidase from broccoli [Brassica oleraceavar. botrytis italic] florets. Food Chem 2007;105:1047â€“53.
14. GandÃa-Herrero F, Garcia-Carmona F, Escribano J. Purification and characterisation of a latent polyphenol oxidase from beet root [Beta vulgarisL.]. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:609â€“15.
15. Zaini NA, Osman A, Hamid AA, Ebrahimpour A, Saari N. Purification and characterization of membrane-bound polyphenoloxidase [mPPO] from snake fruit [Salacca zalacca (Gaertn.) Voss]. Food Chem 2013;136(2):407âˆ’14.
16. Das JR, Bhat SG, Gowda LR. Purification and characterization of a polyphenol oxidase from the Kew cultivar of Indian pineapple fruit. J Agric Food Chem 1997;45:2031â€“5.
17. Dogan S, Turan Y, Erturk H, Arslan O. Characterization and purification of polyphenol oxidase from artichoke [Cynara scolymus L.]. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53(3):776âˆ’85.
18. Shi C, Dai Y, Xu X, Xie Y, Liu Q. The purification of polyphenol oxidase from tobacco. Protein Expression Purif 2002;24(1):51âˆ’5.
19. Anil Kumar VB, Kishor Mohan TC, Murugan K. Purification and kinetic characterization of polyphenol oxidase from Barbados cherry [Malpighia glabraL.]. Food Chem 2008;110(2):328âˆ’33.
20. Yokotsuka K, Makino S, Singleton VL. Polyphenol oxidase from grapes: precipitation, re-solubilization and characterization. Am J Enol Vitic 1988;39:293â€“302.
21. Siddig M, Sinha NK, Cash YN. Characterization of a polyphenol oxidase from Stanley plums. J Food Sci 1992;57:1177â€“9.
22. Emine ziyan, Sule pekyardimci. Purification and characterization of pear [Pyrus communis] polyphenol oxidase. Turk J Chem 2004;28:547-57.
23. Zhaon-Jian Gao, Xiao-Hong Han, Xing â€“Guo Xiao. Purification and characterisation of polyphenol oxidase from red swiss chard leaves. Food Chem 2009;117:342-8.
24. Saiedian S, Keyhani E, Keyhani J. Polyphenol oxidase activity in dormant saffron [Crocus sativus L.]corm. Acta Physiol Plant 2007;29:463â€“71.
25. Gawlik-Dziki U, ZÅ‚otek Z, Swieca M. Characterisation of polyphenol oxidase from butter lettuce [Lactuca sativa varcapitata L.]. Food Chem 2008;107:129â€“35.
26. Kavrayan D, Aydemir T. Partial purification and characterisation of polyphenoloxidase from peppermint [Mentha piperita]. Food Chem 2001;74:147â€“54.
27. Halder J, Tamuli P, Phaduri AN. Isolation and characterization of polyphenol oxidase from Indian tea leaf [Camellia sinensis]. J Nutr Biochem 1998;9:75â€“80.
28. Paul B, Gowda LR. Purification and characterization of a polyphenol oxidase from the seeds of field bean [Dolichos lablab]. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48:3839-46.
29. Na-na Liu, Wei Liu, Dai-jie Wang, Yi-bin Zhou, Xiao-jing Lin, Xiao Wang, et al. Purification and partial characterization of polyphenol oxidase from the flower buds of Lonicera japonica. Thunb Food Chem 2013;138:478-83.
30. Dincer B, Colak A, Aydin N, Kadioglu A, GÃ¼ner S. Characterization of polyphenoloxidase from medlar fruits [Mespilus germanicaL., Rosaceae]. Food Chem 2002;77:1â€“7.
31. Zhao-Jian Gao, Xiao-Hong Han, Xing-Guo Xiao. Purification and characterisation of polyphenol oxidase from leaves of Cleome gynandra L. Food Chem 2011;129:1012â€“8.
32. Kong KH, Hong MP, Choi SS, Kim YT. Purification and characterisation of a highly stable tyrosinase from Thermomicrobium roseum. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 2000;31:113â€“8.
33. Golan A, Goldhirsh A, Whitaker JR. Effect of ascorbic acid, sodium bisulfite and thiol compounds on mushroom polyphenol oxidase. J Agric Food Chem 1984;32:1003â€“9.