ANTIFUNGAL ACTIVITY OF LIPASE MODIFIED FLAVONOIDS FROM CITRUS LIMETTA
Objective: The aim of the present study is to bring about enzymatic modification of flavonoids from Citrus limetta in order to increase their antifungal activity.
Methods: Methanolic extraction of flavonoids from citrus peels was carried out and their presence was confirmed by various tests. Crude extract of flavonoids was subjected to enzymatic modification by enzyme lipase in presence of acyl donor tributyrin in order to bring about esterification. Esterification was confirmed using IR spectroscopy and sodium hydroxide- phenolphthalein test. Antifungal activity of the treated sample and control sample were tested against Candida albicans and compared with fluconazole by Kirby Bauer disk diffusion method.
Results: Methanolic extract showed the presence of flavonoids on carrying out various test. While testing enzymatic modification, IR spectra did not show a significant difference between treated and control; however, enhanced esterification was confirmed by sodium hydroxide-phenolphthalein test. On carrying out antifungal activity, treated samples showed a 56.52% increase in zone of inhibition against Canidida albicans as compared to the control and was also found to be more in comparison to fluconazole.
Conclusion: The results signify that enzymatic modification increases the antifungal activity of flavonoids from Citrus limetta.
2. Gattuso G, Barreca D, Garguilli C, Leuzzi U, Caristi C. Flavonoid Composition of Citrus Juices. Molecules 2007;12:1641-73.
3. Bilbao M, AndreÂ´s-Lacueva C, Jauregui O, Lamuela-Ravento R. Determination of flavonoids in a Citrus fruit extract by LCâ€“DAD and LCâ€“MS. Food Chem 2006;101:1742â€“7.
4. Kundu Sen S, Gupta M, Mazumder U, Haldar P, Saha P, Bhattacharya S, et al. Exploration of anti-inflammatory potential of Citrus limetta risso and Citrus maxima. Pharmacologyonline 2011;1:702-9.
5. Kundu Sen S, Bala A, Kar B, Bhattacharya S, Mazumder U, Gupta M, et al. Antitumor potential of Citrus limetta fruit peel in Ehrlich ascites carcinoma bearing Swiss albino mice. Alternative Medicine Studies 2012;2:10.
6. Kulkarni S, Kharche A. Analytical method development for chiral separations of fruity flavonoids using RP-HPLC with improved selectivity and sensitivity. J Engineering Res Studies 2010;2:106-13.
7. ViskupiÄovÃ¡ J, Å turdÃk E, OndrejoviÄ M. Enzymatic transformation of flavonoids. Acta Chimica Slovaca 2009;2:88 â€“106.
8. Wang A, Zhang F, Huang L, Yin X, Li H, Wang Q, et al. New progress in biocatalysis and biotransformation of flavonoids. J Med Plants Res 2010;4:847-56.
9. Vakhlu J, Kour, A. Yeast lipases: enzyme purification, biochemical properties and gene cloning. E J Biotechnol 2006;1:69-85.
10. Boumendjel A, Mariotte AM, Bresson D, Perrier E. Hesperitin Esters: highly stable flavanones with both free radical scavenging and anti-elastase activities. Pharm Biol 2003;7:546-9.
11. Saxena R, Sharma R, Nandy B, Jasuja N. Qualitative and quantitative estimation of bioactive compounds in Mimosa hamata. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:72-5.
12. StankoviÄ‡ M. Total phenolic content, flavonoid concentration and antioxidant activity of marrubium peregrinum extracts. Kragujevac J Sci 2011;33:63-72.
13. Pedro P, GonÃ§alo J. Structural analysis of flavonoids and related compounds â€“ A Review of Spectroscopic Applications. Intechopen 2011;2:33-56.
14. Aghel N, Ramezani Z, Beiranvand S. Hesperidine from citrus sinensis cultivated in dezful. Iran Pak J Biol Sci 2008;20:2451-3.
15. Castro H. Fine chemicals biotransformation using lipases. Quimica Nova 1995;18:544-54.
16. Baumgartner T, Burak J, Baumgartner D, Zanin G, Arroyo p. Biomass production and ester synthesis by in situ transesterification/esterification using the microalga spirulina platensis. Int J Chem Engineering 2013;1-7.
17. Hellman T, Small F. Characterization of the odor properties of 101 chemicals using sensory methods of air pollution control 2012;10:979-82.
18. Araceli L, Hugo G, Oliart R, Alfaro G. Synthesis of flavor and fragrance esters using Candida Antarctica lipase. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2004;65:373â€“6.
19. Spellberg B, Filler S, Edwards J. current treatment strategies for disseminated candidiasis. Clinical Practice 2006;42:244-51.
20. Harmalkar A, Shaikh M, Kamat S, Kamat D. Enzyme assisted transformation of glycosides. South As J Biol Sci 2013;3(2):40-5.