PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING AND IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT POTENTIAL OF TRIBULUS TERRESTRIS FRUIT AND MESUA FERREA FLOWER EXTRACTS: A COMPARATIVE STUDY
Objective: This study aimed to investigate the antioxidants and free radicals scavenging properties of ethanolic extracts from Tribulus terrestris fruit (TTF) and Mesua ferrea flower (MFF).
Methods: The antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities were measured by using standard protocols against phytoextracts used at 50, 100, 150, 200 and 250 Âµg/ml concentration. Total phenolic and flavonoid content were estimated using Folin-Ciocalteu and aluminium-chloride reagent assay methods.
Results: Among the extracts, MFF showed the highest total antioxidant ability followed by TTF. With regard to various scavenging activities, MFF had the highest radical scavenging activity than TTF extract closely resembled the standards. Also, the reducing capacity on ferrous ion was high in MFF than TTF. The quantified phenolic contents of TTF and MFF ethanolic extracts were 27.0Â±0.36 and 57.0Â±0.32 mg gallic acid equivalent per gram extract respectively. A positive correlation (p value<0.001) was observed between phenolic content and free radical scavenging efficiencies.
Conclusion: The results confirm that both MFF and TTF are important sources of natural antioxidants and serves as an effective free radical scavengers and/or inhibitors. Hence, both extracts are suitable plant-based pharmaceutical products can be used to handle 'free radical-mediated diseases.
2. Rajesh KD, Vasantha S, Panneerselvam A, Rajesh NV, Jeyathilakan N. Phytochemical analysis, in vitro antioxidant potential and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry studies of Dicranopteris linearis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-6.
3. Kazemipoor M, Radzi CW, Cordell GA, Yaze I. Safety, efficacy and metabolism of traditional medicinal plants in the management of obesity: a review. Int J Chem Eng Appl 2012;3:288-92.
4. El-Shaibany A, Molham AH, Al-Tahami B, Al-Massarani S. Anti-hyperglycaemic activity of Tribulus terrestris aerial part extract in glucose-loaded normal rabbits. Trop J Pharm Res 2015;14:2263-8.
5. Sasikumar S, Eagappan K, Brindha D. Qualitative characterization of solvent and cooked fruit extracts of Tribulus terrestris L. Eur J Med Plants 2014;4:907-19.
6. Hala MH, Nabila M, Ghazy, Fathalla MH, Mohamed MR, Mahmoud AE, et al. Chemicals constituents from Tribulus terrestris and screening of their antioxidant activity. Phyto-chemicals 2013;92:153-9.
7. Umamahesh B, Ciddi Veeresham. Insulinotropic activity of methanolic extract of Mesua ferrea L. J Basic Appl Sci 2015;11:410-7.
8. Noysang C, Mahringer A, Zeino M, Saeed M, Luanratana O, Fricker G, et al. Cytotoxicity and inhibition of P-glycoprotein by selected medicinal plants from Thailand. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;155:633-41.
9. Hansen AS, Marckmann P, Dragsted LO, Finne Nielsen IL, Nielsen SE, Gronbak M. Effect of red wine and red grape extract on blood lipids, haemostatic factors, and other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005;59:449-55.
10. Manach C, Mazur A, Scalbert A. Polyphenols and prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Curr Opin Lipidol 2005;16:77-84.
11. Singleton VL, Orthofer R, Lamuelaâ€Raventos RM. Analysis of total phenols and other oxidation substrates and antioxidants by means of folinâ€ciocalteau reagent. Methods Enzymol 1999; 299:152â€78.
12. Zhishen J, Mengcheng T, Jianming W. Research on antioxidant activity of flavonoids from natural materials. Food Chem 1999;64:555â€9.
13. Chan EWC, Lim YY, Omar M. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of leaves of Etlingera species in Peninsular Malaysia. Food Chem 2007;104:1586-93.
14. Nishikimi M, Appaji N, Yagi K. The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine metho sulfate and molecular oxygen. Biochem Biophys Res Com 1972;46:849â€54.
15. Ruch RJ, Cheng SJ, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intercellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogenesis 1989;10:1003 â€8.
16. Sreejayan Rao MN. Nitric oxide scavenging by curcuminoids. J Pharm Pharmacol 1997;49:105â€7.
17. Benzie IF, Strain JJ. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of â€˜â€˜antioxidant powerâ€™â€™: the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996;239:70-6.
18. Archana D, Dixitha M, Santhy KS. Antioxidant and anti clastogenic potential of Piper longum L. Int J Appl Pharm 2015;7:11-4.
19. Khaleel FD, Mehta BK, Mehta D, Ovais Zargar, Rayeesul Haq M. The quantification of phytochemical constituents and in vitro antioxidant activity of crude extracts of Mesua ferrea L. Int J Phytopharm 2016;6:106-9.
20. Chaitanya KK, Kamalakara Rao K, Sastry YN, Padal SB, Rajyalakshmi A, Govinda Rao D. Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and phytochemical analysis of Mesua ferrea bark extracts. Int J Curr Tren Pharm Res 2015;3:891-902.
21. Manjunatha BK, Syed M, Divakara R, Archana M, Sarvani RJ, Steffina Varghese, et al. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory potency of Mesua ferrea L. Indian J Appl Res 2013;3:2249-555X.
22. Hifnawy MS, Abouzid SF, Zeinab YA, Fouda MM. Phenolic contents and in vitro free radical scavenging activity of alcoholic fruit extract of Tribulus terrestris L. Pharm Inn J 2015;4:92-100.
23. Lokhande KD, Kulkarni CG, Shinkar MC, Jadhav ST, Salunkhe SS. Evaluation of antioxidant potential of Indian wild leafy vegetable Tribulus terrestris L. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2014;3:2277-4688.
24. Kannan E, Sasikala S, Brindha D. Antioxidant capacity in solvent and cooked fruit extracts of Tribulus terrestris L. Int J Biol Pharm Res 2015;6:63-7.
25. Bilal AB, Elanchezhiyan C, Sethupathy S, Renju VC, Shoba V, Hemalatha S, et al. In vitro antioxidant activity of medicinal herb Tribulus terrestris L. J Pharm Res 2012;5:2954-8.
26. Narender PD, Ganga Rao B, Sambasiva Rao E, Mallikarjuna Rao T, Praneeth VS. Quantification of phytochemical constituents and in vitro antioxidant activity of Mesuaferrea leaves. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:S539-S542.
27. Alakh SN, Hemalatha S, Sairam K. Phytopharmacological review of Mesua ferrea L. Int J Phytopharm 2014;5:6-14.
28. Sunita M, Arunporn I, Supinya T. Antioxidant and nitric oxide inhibition activities of Thai medicinal plants. J Med Assoc Thai 2010;93(Suppl 7):S227-S235.
29. Dimitrina ZD, Danka O, Paraskev N. Antioxidant activity of Tribulus terrestris-A natural product in infertility therapy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:0975-1491.
30. Figueroa LA, Navarro LB, Pati M, Vera MP, Petricevich V. Antioxidant activity, total phenolic and flavonoids contents and cytotoxicity evaluation of Bougainvillea xbuttiana. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:497-502.