DEVELOPMENT OF UV SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR THE ANALYSIS OF ACETYLCHOLINESTERASE INHIBITOR
Objective: The aim of this research paper was to develop a simple, sensitive, rapid, accurate and economical Ultra Violet spectrophotometric method for the Analysis of Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor.
Methods: The study was performed in pH 7.4 phosphate buffer and presence of the drug was analysed using UV spectrophotometer. Various analytical parameters such as linearity, range, precision, accuracy, limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) were determined according International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines.
Results: Absorbance maximum (ÊŽmax) of drug in pH 7.4 phosphate buffer were found to be 270.5 nm. Beer's law was obeyed over the concentration range of 2 - 20 mg/ml with a correlation coefficient (R2) value of 0.999. % RSD values below 2 at different concentration levels for Intra and inter-day precision indicated that the proposed spectrophotometric method is highly reproducible. LOD and LOQ were 0.401 and 1.22 Âµg/ml respectively signifying that it can be adopted for routine quality testing.
Conclusion: The results of the study demonstrated that the developed method is accurate, precise and reproducible while being simple, cheap and less time consuming and hence can be suitably applied for the analysis of donepezil in pharmaceutical preparations.
2. Areosa SA, Sherriff F. Memantine for dementia. Cochrane Systematic Rev 2003(3):154.
3. Sugimoto H, Yamanishi Y, Iimura Y, Kawakami Y. Donepezil hydrochloride and other acetyl cholinesterase inhibitors. Curr Med Chem 2000;7(3):303-39.
4. Zhiyong X, Qiongfeng L, Xinjun X, Meicun Y, Jinzhi W, Dan L. Rapid and sensitive determination of donepezil in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry: application to a pharmacokinetic study. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrum. Arch Int Med 2006;20:3193-8.
5. Cheng DH, Tang XC. Comparative studies of huperzine A, E2020, and tacrine on behavior and cholinesterase activities. Pharm Bio Chem Behav 1998;60(2):377-86.
6. Scarpini E, Scheltens P, Feldman H. Treatment of Alzheimer's disease: current status and new perspectives. Lancet Neurol 2003;2(9):539-47.
7. Rogers SL, Doody RS, Mohs RC, Friedhoff LT. Donepezil improves cognition and global function in Alzheimer disease: a 15-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Donepezil Study Group. Arch Intern Med 1998;158(9):1021-31.
8. Kosasa T, Kuriya Y, Matsui K, Yamanishi Y. Inhibitory effects of donepezil hydrochloride on cholinesterase activity in brain and peripheral tissues of young and aged rats. Eur J Pharmacol 1999;386(1):7-13.
9. Radwan MA, Abdine HH, Al-Quadeb BT, Aboul-Enein HY, Nakashima K. Stereoselective HPLC assay of donepezil enantiomers with UV detection and its application to pharmacokinetics in rats. J Chrom B, Anal Technol Biol Sci 2006;830(1):114-9.
10. Pappa H, FarrÃº R, Vilanova PO, Palacios M, Pizzorno MT. A new HPLC method to determine Donepezil hydrochloride in tablets. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;27(1-2):177-82.
11. Reddy U, Reddy K H, Bobbarala V, Penumajji S. RP- HPLC method development for the determination of assay of Donepezil hydrochlorideâ€. Int J of Chemical and Analytical Science. 2010; 1: 35-36.
12. Nakashima K, Itoh K, Kono M, Nakashima MN, Wada M. Determination of donepezil hydrochloride in human and rat plasma, blood and brain microdialysates by HPLC with a short C30 column. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41(1):201-6.
13. Lu Y, Wen H, Li W, Chi Y, Zhang Z. Determination of donepezil hydrochloride (E2020) in plasma by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and its application to pharmacokinetic studies in healthy, young, Chinese subjects. J Chromatogr Sci 2004;42(5):234-7.
14. Pillai S, Singhvi I J. Application of orange dye for quantitation of donepezil hydrochloride from tablet formulation. Indian Sci Arch Int Med 2006;68:682-4.
15. Abbas SS, Fayez YM, Fattah LS. Stability indicating methods for determination of donepezil hydrochloride according to ICH guidelines. Chem Pharm Bull 2006;5:1447-50.
16. Sangshetti J, Mahaparale P, Paramane S, Shinde DBNR. Spectrophotometric estimation of donepezil hydrochloride in bulk and tablet formulation. Trends Appl Sci Res 2008;3:109-12.
17. Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology. International conference on harmonization, draft revised guidance on Q2 (R1). Current step 4 version. Nov 2005:6-13.
18. Indian Pharmacopoeia. The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission, Ghaziabad. The controller of publication: Delhi VolII A; 1996.p.145-A6.
19. Yasir M, Sara UVS. VU development and validation of method for the estimation of haloperidol. British J Pharm Res 2014;4(11):1407-15.