CYTOTOXICITY OF METABOLITES PRODUCED BY ENDOPHYTIC FUNGUS CLADOSPORIUM SP. ISOLATED FROM MARINE MACROALGAE ON INÂVITRO MCFÂ7, HELA, AND DU-145 CELL LINES
Objective: To investigate the in vitro cytotoxicity effect of the crude ethyl acetate extract of Cladosporium sp. on MCF-7, HeLa, and DU-145 cell lines.
Methods: In vitro cytotoxicity was evaluated by tetrazolium reduction assay. The percentage of cell inhibition was analyzed using probit analysis to obtain 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50). Morphological alteration of the cell lines after exposure with extract was observed under an inverted microscope.
Results: The ethyl acetate extract of the metabolite performed an anticancer activity for cancer cell line MCF-7, HeLa, and DU-145 with IC50 respectively 8.46 Î¼g/ml; 9.87 Î¼g/ml; and 98.03 Î¼g/ml. The extract shows greater the anticancer activity and has strong antiproliferative on MCF-7 and HeLa cell line than DU-145. Confirmation morphological were observed under the inverted microscope showed a morphological change in cancer cells when incubated with the extract.
Conclusion: From the performed assay, the crude extract of Cladosporium sp. exhibit cytotoxic activity against MCF-7, HeLA, and DU-145.
2. Schulz B, Boyle C, Draeger S. Endophytic fungi: a source of biologically active secondary metabolites. Mycol Res 2002; 106:996-1004.
3. Strobel GA. Endophytes as sources of bioactive products. Microb Infect 2003;5:535-44.
4. Katoch M, Phull S, Vaid S, Singh S. Diversity, phylogeny, the anticancer and antimicrobial potential of fungal endophytes associated with Monarda citriodora L. BMC Microbiol 2017;17:44.
5. Raj KG, Manikandan R, Arulvasu C, Pandi M. Anti-proliferative effect of fungal taxol extracted from Cladosporium oxysporum against human pathogenic bacteria and human colon cancer cell line HCT 15. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;138:667-74.
6. Shigemori H, Kasai Y, Komatsu K, Tsuda M, Mikami Y, Kobayashi J. Sporiolides a and b, new cytotoxic twelve-membered macrolides from a marine-derived fungus Cladosporium species. Marine Drugs 2004;2:164â€“9.
7. Cao F, Yang Q, Shao CL, Kong CJ, Zheng JJ, Liu YF, et al. Bioactive 7-oxabicyclic [6.3.0] lactam and 12-membered macrolides from a gorgonian-derived Cladosporium sp. fungus. Marine Drugs 2015;13:4171-8.
8. Khan MIH, Sohrab MH, Rony SR, Tareq FS, Hasan CM, Mazid MA. Cytotoxic and antibacterial naphthoquinones from an endophytic fungus, Cladosporium sp. Toxicol Rep 2016;3:861-5.
9. Li HL, Li XM, MÃ¡ndi A, Antus S, Li X, Zhang P, et al. Characterization of Cladosporium from the marine algal-derived endophytic fungus Cladosporium cladosporioides EN-399 and configurational revision of the previously reported Cladosporium derivatives. J Org Chem 2017;82:9946-54.
10. Ai W, Lin X, Wang Z, Lu X, Mangaladoss F, Yang X, et al. Cladosporone a, a new dimeric tetralone from fungus Cladosporium sp. KcFL6'derived of mangrove plant Kandelia candel. J Antibiot 2015;68:213.
11. Raj KG, Sambantham S, Manikanadan R, Arulvasu C, Pandi M. Fungal taxol extracted from Cladosporium oxysporum induces apoptosis in T47D human breast cancer cell line. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2014;15:6627-32.
12. Makassari D. Penelitian sumber daya dan pelayanan kesehatan kemenkes RI. Indonesian J Cancer; 2017. p. 1.
13. Freshney RI. Culture of animal cells: a manual of basic technique and specialized applications. 6th ed. US: Wiley-Blackwell; 2010.
14. Dojindo. com [Internet]. Rockville: Measuring Cell Viability and Cytotoxicity; c2015. Available from: http://at www. dojindo.com/. [Last accessed on 20 Nov 2015].
15. Ngamwongsatit P, Banada PP, Panbangred W, Bhunia AK. WST-1-based cell cytotoxicity assay as a substitute for an MTT-based assay for rapid detection of toxigenic Bacillus species using CHO cell line. J Microbiol Methods 2018;73:211-5.
16. Roos WP, Bernd K. DNA damage-induced cell death: from specific DNA lesions to the DNA damage response and apoptosis. Cancer Lett 2013;332:237-48.
17. Haridas R, Manorama S, Thekkan S. In vitro cytotoxicity activity of Malaxis rheedii sw methanol extract against hela cell line and MCF-7 cell line. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-3.