NANOSTRUCTURED LIPID CARRIERS (NLCS): A PROMINENT TOPICAL DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR COENZYME Q10 AND MYRICA ESCULENTA LEAVES EXTRACT FOR ANTI-AGING POTENTIAL
Objective: In this study, Myrica esculenta (ME) leaves extract along with Coenzyme Q10 was entrapped in nanostructured lipid carriers (NLCs). The formulation variables were successfully optimized using 23 factorial design.
Methods: Preparation of NLC was carried out by solvent injection technique. The formulation of NLC was consisting of the methanolic extract of Myrica esculenta leaves and Coenzyme Q10 as key ingredients. Oleic Acid (OA) was taken as liquid lipid, Precirol ATO 5 (PATO) as solid lipid, and Poloxamer 407 (P407). The formulation variables were statically optimized using 23 factorial design, followed by the characterization of the formulation.
Results: The results demonstrated that the best optimized NLC formulation F5 of Coenzyme Q10 and plant extract exhibited the smallest size 169.46 nm and highest entrapment efficiency 90.06Â±0.171 %. Furthermore, it showed good physical stability at 28 d after preparation.
Conclusion: The developed NLCs of Q10-ME extract from this study could be explored as the effective anti-ageing formulation.
2. Ramos-e-Silva M, Celem LR, Ramos-e-Silva S, Fucci-da-Costa AP. Anti-aging cosmetics: facts and controversies. Clin Dermatol 2013;31:750â€“8.
3. Kohen R, Gati I. Skin low molecular weight antioxidants and their role in aging and in oxidative stress. Toxicology 2000;148:149-57.
4. Junqueira VB, Barros SB, Chan SS, Rodrigues L, Giavarotti L, Abud RL, et al. Aging and oxidative stress. Mol Aspects Med 2005;25:5-16.
5. Mukul S, Surabhi K, Atul N. Cosmeceuticals for the skin: an overview. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;4:1Â¬6.
6. P Kaur, Kapila M, Agrawal R. Role of novel delivery systems in developing topical antioxidants as therapeutics to combat photoaging, Ageing Res Rev 2007;6:271â€“88.
7. Gardouh AR, Samar HF, Ahmed TN, Ghorab MM. Influence of formulation factors on the size of nanostructured lipid carriers and nanoemulsions prepared by high shear homogenization. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:61-75.
8. Oâ€™Driscoll CM, Griffin BT. Biopharmaceutical challenges associated with drugs with low aqueous solubility-the potential impact of lipid-based formulations. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2008;60:617â€“24.
9. Pamudji JS, Mauldin R, Indrani N. Development of NLC formulation containing retinyl palmitate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:256-60.
10. Kumar P, Chabra G, Tiwari A, Pathak K. Use of central composite design for statistical optimization promethazine teoclate loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. Asian J Pharm 2014;8:279-86.
11. Kumar VR, Gouda TS, Sreelakshmi S, Rajasekar. Phytochemical analysis and in vitro antioxidant activity of Ochna obtusata. Int J Pharm Res Scholars 2014;3:211-6.
12. Niamprem P, Srinivas SP, Tiyaboonchai W. Development and characterization of indomethacin-loaded mucoadhesive nanostructured lipid carriers for topical ocular delivery. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:91-9.
13. Shah M, Pathak K. Development and statistical optimization of solid lipid nanoparticles of simvastatin by using 23 full factorial design. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2010;11:489-95.
14. Yue Y, Zhou H, Liu G, Li Y, Yan Z, Duan M. The advantages of a novel CoQ10 delivery system in skin photoprotection. Int J Pharm 2010;392:57-63.
15. Shaikh AC, Qazi A, Nazim S. Formulation optimization of hydrodynamically balanced oral controlled Release bioadhesive tablets of tramadol hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:61-70.
16. Srivastava R, Abdul MA, Sharma A, Kumar P, Upadhyay G, Anwar F. Validation of a statistically optimized stability indicating the method for the estimation of febuxostat in a solid dosage form. EC Pharm Sci 2015;1:133-47.
17. ICH Guidelines Q1; 2008.
18. Keshri L, Pathak K. Development of thermodynamically stable NLC system using the central composite design for zero order permeation of econazole nitrate through the epidermis. Pharm Dev Technol 2014;18:634-44.
19. Doktorovova S, Araujo J, Garcia ML, Rakovsky E, Souto EB. Formulating fluticasone propionate in novel PEG-containing nanostructured lipid carriers (PEG-NLC). Colloids Surf B 2010;75:538-42.
20. Souto EB, Wissing SA, Barbosa CM, Muller RH. Development of a controlled release formulation based on SLN and NLC for topical clotrimazole delivery. Int J Pharm 2004;271:71â€“7.