STUDIES ON Î²-CYCLODEXTRIN PRODUCTION FROM CGTase PRODUCING BACTERIA AND ITS EFFECT ON DRUG SOLUBILITY
Objective: To produce cyclodextrin (CD) from Cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase (CGTase) producing bacteria isolated from various samples and to study its effect on drug solubility.
Methods: CGTase producing bacteria were isolated from various samples viz. Soil, rotten potatoes, and stale corn flour dough using Horikoshi - phenolphthalein agar. All the isolates were screened for CGTase activity. Isolate showing highest CGTase activity was characterized morphologically and biochemically. CD was produced using CGTase which was further used for drug solubility studies.
Results: A total of fifty samples were studied of which 20 bacterial isolates showed the presence of halo around them. Upon further screening, the culture supernatant of 12 isolates showed cyclization activity, of which CD 18 strain produced highest amount of CGTase. Morphological and biochemical characterization revealed that the isolate belonged to Bacillus sp. The isolate showed maximum growth, reducing sugars 0.724 mg/ml and maximum enzymatic activity for dextrinisation as well as cyclisation viz. 9.45 U/ml and 7.41 U/ml respectively after 48 hrs of incubation. Thus, Bacillus sp. CD 18 was used to produce CGTase, which was further used for the production of CD. CD increased the solubility of acclofenac and paracetamol.
Conclusion: Bacteria are regarded as important sources of CGTases. New strains might suit better for industrial production of CGTase after optimizing the various cultures and process parameters.
2. Kitcha S, Maneerat S, Cheirsilp B. Î²-Cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase from a newly isolated alkalophilic Bacillus sp. C26. Songklanakarin J Sci Tech 2008;30:723-8.
3. Valle EM. Cyclodextrins and their uses: a review. Process Biochem 2004;39:1033-46.
4. Loftsson T, Duchene D. Cyclodextrins and their pharmaceutical applications. Int J Pharmacol 2007;329:1â€“11.
5. More SS, Niraja RN, Evelyn C, Byadgi AM, Shwetha V, Mangaraj, SD. Isolation, Purification and biochemical characterization of cgtase from bacillus halodurans. croatian j. food technol. Biotechnol Nut 2012;7:90-7.
6. Tiwari G, Tiwari R, Rai AK. Cyclodextrins in delivery systems: applications. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2010;2:72â€“9.
7. Horikoshi K, Akiba T. Alkalophilic microorganisms, a new microbial world, Springer. Berlin 1982;23:276.
8. Menocci V, Goulart AJ, Paul RA, Olga TA, Marques DP, Contiero JMR. Cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase production by new Bacillus sps strain isolated from Brazilian soil. Braz J Microbiol 2008;39:682-8.
9. Higuti IH, Grande SW, Sacco R, Nascimento AJ. Isolation of alkalophilic cgtase-producing bacteria and characterization of cyclodextrin-glycosyltransferase. Braz Arch Boil Technol 2003;46:183-6.
10. Maleka MJ, Korpela TK, Puisto J, Laakso SV. Nonchromatographic cyclodextrin assays: evaluation of sensitivity, specificity and conversion mixture applications. J Agric Food Chem 1988;36:83-8.
11. Bergey DH, Robert SB. Bergeyâ€™s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology. Williams & Wilkins Co: Baltimore; 1957.
12. Cappuccino JG, Shermann N. Microbiology: a laboratory manual. Pearson Education Dorling: Kindersley, India; 2009.
13. Zhekova BY, Pishtiyski IG, Stanchev VS. Investigation on cyclodextrin production with cyclodextrin glucanotransferase from bacillus megaterium. Food Technol Biotechnol 2008;46:328â€“34.
14. Chordiya MA, Senthil kumaran K. Cyclodextrin in drug delivery: a review. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;1:19-29.
15. Higuchi T, Connors KA. Phase solubility techniques. Adv Anal Chem Instrum 1965;4:117â€“212.
16. Zouari DA, Kammoun R, Jemli S, Chouayekh H, Bejar S. Secretion of cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase in E. coli using Bacillus subtilis lipase signal peptide and optimization of culture media. IJEB 2012;50:72-9.
17. Rosso AM, Ferrarotti SA, Krymkiewicz N, Nudel BC. Optimisation of batch culture conditions for cyclodextrin glucanotransferase production from Bacillus circulans DF 9R. Microb Cell Fact 2002;1:1-9.
18. Ibrahim ASS, Salamah AA, Antrankian G. A novel cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase from alkaliphilic amphibacillus sp. npst-10:purification and properties. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:10505-22.
19. Urban M, Beran M, Adamek L, Drahorad J, Molik P, Matusova K. Cyclodextrin production from amaranth starch by cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase produced by Paenibacillus macerans CCM 2012. Czech J Food Sci 2012;30:15â€“20.
20. Ai-Noi S, Abd-Aziz S, Alitheen N, Hassan O, Karim MIA. Optimization of cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase production by response surface methodology approach. Asian J Sci Inf 2008;7:10-8.
21. Jamuna R, Saswati N, Sheela R, Ramakrishna SV. Synthesis of cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase by Bacillus cereus for the production of cyclodextrins. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 1993;43:163-76.
22. Sivakumar N, Banu S. Standardization of optimum conditions for cyclodextrin glycosyl transferase production. Int Conf Food Eng Biotechnol 2011;9:102-06.
23. Ramli N, Aziz SA, Hassan MA, Alitheen N, Kamaruddin K. Potential cyclodextrin glycosyltransferase producer from locally isolated bacteria. Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9:7317-21.
24. Majahar SK, Kusumanchi RMR, Gayatri BN. Studies on the preparation, characterization and solubility of nimodipine inclusion complexes with Î²â€“cyclodextrin. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2010;1:2-8.
25. Akbari BV, Valaki BP, Maradiya VH, Akbari AK, Vidyasagar G. Effect of types of cyclodextrin on rosuvastatin calcium inclusion complex. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011;2:1-8.
26. Vinnakota R, Deveswaran R, Marabathuni VJ, Bharath S, Basavaraj BV, Madhavan V. Simultaneous estimation and validation of aceclofenac and paracetamol from bulk and tablets using mixed hydrotropic solubilisation. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2011;1:19-24.
27. Lokamatha KM, Bharathi A, Shanta Kumar SM, Rama Rao N. Preparation, characterization and in vitro evaluation of nevirapine-Î² cyclodextrin solid complexes. Res J Pharm Bio Chem Sci 2010;1:372.
28. Goktruk S, Caliskan E, Talman RY, Var U. A study on solubilization of poorly soluble drugs by cyclodextrins and micelles: complexation and binding characteristics of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. Sci World J 2012;12:718-91.
29. Nikouei BM, Nassirli H, Davies N. Enhancement of cyclosporine aqueous solubility using Î±-and hydroxypropyl Î²-cyclodextrin mixtures. J Incl Phenom 2007;59:245â€“50.