SCREENING AND CHARACTERISTIC STUDY OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTINOMYCETES FROM NEAR-BY SOIL OF MEDICINAL PLANTS
Objective: Isolation and characterization study of actinomycetes from soil near medicinal plants in saurashtra region of Gujarat which can produce antimicrobial compounds.
Methods: Present study 11 different medicinal plants 3 regions of saurashtra selected. Microflora part of soil was used. Different media used for isolation. Microscopic methods used for Study of colony characteristics, arial and vegetative mycelium color and morphological examination of isolates. Primary screening was done by using cross streak method while for secondary screening well diffusion techniques with thin layer chromatography and bioautography. Antimicrobial activity of most potent isolates check against test organisms. Different biochemical methods used for characterization of the most active isolate.
Results: It was found that out of 66 actinomycetes isolates 45 (68.2 %) actinomycetes isolates were showing activity against test microbes. In the primary screening, 15 actinomycets isolates showed good antimicrobial activity. Out of these 15 actinomycetes isolates 5 isolates GOS1, JOS1, GOS3, GTF1 and JTF1 showing a broad spectrum of activity against microorganisms. It was found that out of this 5 isolates GOS1 was most potent antagonistic actinomycetes. Characterizations, as well as optimization studies of actinomycetes, isolates GOS1 which may use to produce new and useful antimicrobial compounds and other metabolites.
Conclusion: It was concluded that actinomycetes isolates from different soil samples nearby medicinal plant area of saurashtra region are a good source to produce many useful antimicrobial compounds and other metabolites.
2. Sreejetha M, Divya, Veena S, Kokati VBR. The bioactive potential of streptomycesvariabilis-DV-35 isolated from Thottada marine sediments, Kannur, Kerala. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:67-71.
3. Ramendra Singh Parmar, Charu Singh, Pragati Saini, Ajay Kumar. Isolation and screening of antimicrobial and extracellular pigmentÇ§producing actinomycetes from chambal territory of Madhya Pradesh region, India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:157-60.
4. Charu Singh, Ramendra Singh Parmar, Pragya Jadon, Ajay Kumar. Characterization of actinomycetes against phytopathogenic fungi of glycine max. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:216-9.
5. Mundt JO, Hinkle NF. Bacteria within ovules and seeds. J Appl Environ Microbiol 1976;32:694-8.
6. Mustafa O, Tamer AU, Cem A. Antibacterial activity of some Actinomycetes isolated from farming soils of turkey. Afr J Biotechnol 2004;3:441-6.
7. Wadetwar RN, Patil AT. Isolation and characterization of bioactive actinomycetes from the soil in and around Nagpur. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:1428-33.
8. Sivakumar K. Actinomycetes of and Indian. Indian Mangrove (Pichavaram) environment: an inventory. PhD Thesis, Annamalia University, Tamil Nadu India; 2002. p. 91-5.
9. Nanjwade BK, Chandrasekhar S, Goudanavar PS, Shamarez M, Manvi FV. Production of antibiotics from soil-isolated actinomycetes and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Trop J Pharm Res 2010;9:373-7.
10. Manjula C, Rajguru P, Muthuselvam M. Screening for the antibiotic sensitivity of free and immobilized actinomycetes isolated from India. Adv Biol Res 2009;3:84-8.
11. Kawato N, R Shinobu. On Streptomyccs herbaricolor, Nov SP supplement: a simple technique for the microscopic observation. Saka Univ Lib Arts Educ J Nat Sci 1959;8:114-9.
12. Holt JG. Bergey's manual of determinative bacteriology. 9th edition (William and Wilkin Baltimore); 1994. p. 667-9.
13. Sudha Sri Kesavan S, Hemalatha R. Isolation and screening of antibiotic-producing actinomycetes from the garden soil of sathyabama university, Chennai. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015; 8:110-4.
14. Williams ST, Cross T. Isolation purification cultivation and preservation of actinomycetes. Methods Microbial 1971;4:295-334.
15. Mounyr Balouiri N, Moulay Sadiki, Saad Koraichi Ibnsouda. Methods for in vitro evaluating antimicrobial activity: a review. J Pharm Anal 2016;6:71-9.
16. C Valgas, SM DeSouza, EFA Smania. Screening methods to determine the antibacterial activity of natural products. Braz J Microbiol 2007;38:369-80.
17. Da Silva, Esquibel MA, Santos JS, Almeida MZ, Sampaino CS, TF Barros. In vitro antibacterial activity of extract from abarema cochliocarpus (Gomes) Barneby and JW Grimes. Afr J Microbiol Res 2010;4:1654.
18. Busti E, Monciardini P, Cavaletti L, Bamote R, Lazarini A, Sosio. Antibiotic producing ability by representatives of a newly discovered lineage of actinomycetes. Acta Microbiol 2006; 152:675-83.
19. Irena M. Choma wioleta Jesionek. J Chrom 2015;2:225-38.
20. Xue Chang Wu Wei, Feng Chen, Chao Dong Qian, Ou Li Ping Li, Yan-Ping Wen. Isolation and identification of newly isolated antagonistic Streptomyces SP Strain AP 192 Producing chromomycins. J Microbiol 2007;45:499-504.
21. Atta HM, SM Dabour, SG Desoukey. Sparsomycin antibiotic production by Streptomyces sp. AZ-NIOF DI: taxonomy fermentation, purification, and biological activities. Am Eurasian J Agric Environ Sci 2009;5:368-77.
22. Deepika L, Kannabiran K. Isolation and characterization of antagonistic actinomycetes from marine soil. J Microbial Biochem Technol 2010;2:1-6.
23. Claus DC. A standardized gram staining procedure. World J Microbiol Biotechnol 1992;8:451-2.
24. Murugamani V, Bharathi T, KN Jayaveera. A new antibiotic 105-SMP from soil screened Streptomyces species 105-SM. Internet J Microbial 2008;5:1-7.
25. Lakshrnipathy DT, K Kannabiran. A morphological, biochemical and biological studies of halophilic Streptomyces sp. Isolated from saltpan environment. Am J Infectious Diseases 2009;5:207-13.
26. Kavitha R, Dhamodharan N, Dhivya C. Screening, isolation, and antibacterial activity of antibiotic-producing bacteria obtained from saprophytic soil samples. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:92-6.
27. P Saravana Kumar A, V Duraipandiyan B, S Ignacimuthu. Isolation, screening and partial purification of antimicrobial antibiotics from soil streptomyces sp. SCA 7. Kaohsiung J Med Sci 2014;30:435-46.
28. Bernard R Glick, Jack J Pasternak. Molecular biotechnology. Fourth edition. American Society for Microbiology; 2010. p. 125-35.
29. Gurung TD, Sherpa C, Agrawal VP, Lekhak B. Isolation and characterization of antibacterial actinomycetes from soil samples of Kalapatthar, Mount Everest region. Nepal J Sci Technol 2009;10:173-82.
30. Sudha SKS, Hemalatha R. Isolation and screening of antibiotic-producing actinomycetes from the garden soil of Sathyabama University, Chennai. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:110-4.
31. Ramendra SP, Charu S, Pragati S, Ajay K. Isolation and screening of antimicrobial and extracellular pigment producing actinomycetes from chambal territory of Madhya Pradesh Region, India. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:157-60.
32. Kannan RR, Vincent SG. Molecular characterization of antagonistic streptomyces isolated from a mangrove swamp. Asian J Biotechnol 2011;3:237-43.
33. Thakur D, Yadav A, Gogoi BK, Bora TC. Isolation and screening of Streptomyces in the soil of protected forest areas from the states of Assam and Tripura, India, for antimicrobial metabolites. J Med Mycol 2007;17:242-9.
34. Sujatha P, Swethalatha P. Isolation and screening of novel Streptomyces from sediments of the bay of Bengal near Srikakulam coast. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;9:40-4.
35. Oskay M, Tamer AU, Azeri C. Antibacterial activity of some actinomycetes isolated from farming soils of Turkey. Afr J Biotechnol 2004;3:441-6.
36. Saleh MG, Jamal SMS, Amr AMH, Saleh AK, Dina AT, Mohamed MA. Isolation and identification of antimicrobial actinomycetes strain from Saudi environment. J Food Agric Environ 2014;12:1072-9.
37. Muharram MM, Abdelkader MS, Alqasoumi SI. Antimicrobial activity of soil actinomycetes isolated from Alkharj, KSA. Int Res J Microbiol 2013;4:12-20.
38. Abo-Shadi M, Sidkey NM, Al-Mutrafy AM. Antimicrobial agent is producing microbes from some soilsâ€™ rhizosphere. J Am Sci 2010;6:915-25.