ANALYTICAL METHOD DEVELOPMENT FOR SIMULTANEOUS DETERMINATION OF UBIDECARENONE AND VITAMIN E ACETATE IN CAPSULE DOSAGE FORM BY HPLC
Objective: To develop and validate a new simple, accurate, precise and sensitive high performance liquid chromatographic method (HPLC) method for simultaneous estimation of ubidecarenone and vitamin E acetate in capsule dosage form as per international conference on harmonization (ICH) guidelines.
Methods: The chromatographic separation of drugs were achieved using hypersil C8 column (250 mm x 4.6 mm, 5Âµ) in isocratic elution mode with a mobile phase of methanol: ethanol: n-hexane (80:10:10 v/v/v) at a flow rate of 1 ml/min with ultra-violet (UV) detection at 210 nm.
Results: The optimized method produced sharp peaks with good resolution, minimum tailing factor and satisfactory retention time were found to be 5.745 min and 12.565 min for vitamin E acetate and ubidecarenone respectively. The method was linear in the range of 60-180 Âµg/ml for ubidecarenone and 20-60 Âµg/ml for vitamin E acetate with a correlation coefficient of 0.999 and 0.9993 respectively. Mean recoveries observed for ubidecarenone and vitamin E acetate were 99.85% and 99.73% respectively. The percentage relative standard deviation (% RSD) of peak area for system precision, method precision, and intermediate precision were found to be less than 0.37%. The lower degree of %RSD obtained has proved that the method was precise and robust.
Conclusion: A new simple HPLC method was developed and validated as per ICH guidelines for the simultaneous estimation of ubidecarenone and vitamin E acetate and the method can be effectively applied for the routine analysis of active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) and formulations.
2. Astridani Rizky Putranti, Riesta Primaharinastiti, Esti Hendradi. Effectivity and physicochemical stability of nanostructured lipid carrier coenzyme Q10 in a different ratio of lipid cetyl palmitate and alpha tocopheryl acetate as a carrier. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:146-52.
3. Manal Abdulkhaliq Ibrahim, Nada Naji Al-shawi. Effects of vitamin E and coenzyme Q10 supplementation against doxorubicin-induced neurotoxicity in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:402-6.
4. Boicelli CA, Ramponi C, Casali E, Masotti L. Ubiquinones: stereochemistry and biological implications. Membr Biochem 1981;4:105-18.
5. Bonakdar RA, Guarneri E. Coenzyme Q10. Am Fam Physician 2005;72:1065â€“70.
6. Mohammed Sarhan KKA, Mebin Aliasa, Sambath Kumar R. A review on novel uses of vitamin E. J Crit Rev 2017;5:10-4.
7. The European Pharmacopeia. 5th ed. Supplement 5.1, Strasbourg, France: EDQM, Council of Europe; 2005. p. 3024.
8. Sanjay Kumar Gupta, Munagala Gayatri Ramya, Rajesh Akki, Singaram Kathirvel, Vadithe Vasu Naik. Development and validation of new RP-HPLC methods for stability study of fat-soluble vitamins. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:71-5.
9. Maria Laura Colombo. An Update on Vitamin E. Tocopherol and tocotrienolâ€”perspectives. Molecules 2010;15:2103-13.
10. Mailvelan R, Mounnissamy VM, Selvamani P, Rajesh J, Raviraj T. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric methods for the simultaneous estimation of ubidecarenone (coenzyme q-10) and clomifene citrate in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Asian J Res Chem Pharm Sci 2013;1:23-30.
11. Karpinska J, MikoÅ‚uc B, Piotrowska Jastrzebska. J application of derivative spectrophotometry for determination of coenzyme Q10 in pharmaceuticals and plasma. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1998;17:1345â€“50.
12. The Japanese pharmacopeia. Part I. 14th ed. Ministry of health, Labour and welfare, Tokyo; 2002. p. 832.
13. Estevez PN, Tripodi V, Buontempo F, Lucangioli S. Coenzyme Q10 stability in pediatric liquid oral dosage formulations. Farm Hosp 2012;36:492-7.
14. Saravanamuthukumar M, Palanivelu M, Anandarajagopal K, Sridharan D. Simultaneous estimation and validation of atorvastatin calcium and ubidecarenone (coenzyme Q10) in combined tablet dosage form by the RP-HPLC method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:36-8.
15. Kannappan N, Sasidharan DK, Ramkumar P, Prajapati MK, Panda PP. Analytical method development and validation of atorvastatin calcium and ubidecarenone tablet by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:1679-82.
16. Mailvelan R, Rajesh J, Selvamani P, Latha S. HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of ubidecarenone and clomifene citrate in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2012;1:61-9.
17. Claude Leray, Margaret D. Andriamampandry, monique freund, christian gachet, jean-pierre cazenave. Simultaneous determination of homologues of vitamin E and coenzyme Q and products of Î±-tocopherol oxidation. J Lipid Res 1998; 39:2099-105.
18. Debra Orozco, Jules Skamarack, Kelly Reins, Barry Titlow, Steve Lunetta, Fang Li, et al. Determination of ubidecarenone (Coenzyme Q10, Ubiquinol-10) in raw materials and dietary supplements by high-performance liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection: single-laboratory validation. J AOAC Int 2007;90:1227-36.
19. Claudia Cristina Ferreiro Barros, Eduardo Kinio Sugawara, Livia Rentas Sanches. Determination of a method for extraction of coenzyme Q10 in human plasma: optimization of the use of surfactants and other variables. Einstein (SÃ£o Paulo) 2012;10:203-8.
20. Adrian A Franke, Cynthia M Morrison, Jesse L Bakke, Laurie J Custer, Xingnan Li, Robert V Cooney. Coenzyme Q10 in human blood: native levels and determinants of oxidation during processing and storage. Free Radical Biol Med 2010;48:1610â€“7.
21. Kareti Srinivasa Rao, Nargesh K Keshar, Nikhil V Belorkar, Bhanoji Rao ME, Srinivasa K, Ajay Kumar Pattnaik. A simple and rapid HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of vitamin-a and vitamin-e in tablet dosage forms. Res J Chem Environ Sci 2013;1:2-6.
22. Ubaldi A, Delbono G, Fusari A, Serventi P. Quick HPLC method to determine vitamin E concentration in cowÊ¼s milk. Ann Fac Medic Vet Di Parma 2005;25:101-10.
23. Anuradha SN, Arunkumar S. A validated RPâ€“HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of vitamin a and vitamin e in multivitamin tablet dosage form. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2012;3:322-7.
24. Prabakaran R, Chenthilnathan A, Vikraman S. Validation of simultaneous determination of vitamin an acetate and vitamin e acetate in multivitamin tablets by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2014;3:27-34.
25. Brabcova I, Kovarova L, Satinsky D, Havlikova L, Solich P. A fast HPLC method for determination of vitamin e acetate in dietary supplements using monolithic column. Food Anal Methods 2013;3:380-5.
26. Hong Min Lee, Byung Man Kwak, Jang Hyuk Ahn, Seung Hwan Jeong, Sung Lye Shim, Kyong Su Kim, et al. Simultaneous determination of vitamin a and e in infant formula by HPLC with photodiode array detection. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2011;31:191-9.
27. Kumar Ashok, Rajput Gaurav Kumar. To develop a simple (UV-VIS Spectrometric) method for the estimation of multivitamin with special reference to capsules and tablets. Int J Pharm 2011;2:43-8.
28. Rutkowski M, Grzegorczyk K. Modifications of spectrophotometric Methods for antioxidative vitamins determination convenient in analytic practice. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment 2007;6:17-28.
29. International conference on harmonization of technical requirements for registration of pharmaceuticals for human use. Validation of analytical procedures: Text and methodology ICH Q2 (R1); 2005.