DERIVATIVE UV SPECTROSCOPIC APPROACHES IN MULTICOMPONENT ANALYSIS–A REVIEW
The spectrophotometric multi-component analysis involves spectrum recording and mathematical equations. However, spectral interference poses a major limitation when mixture samples are encountered. To overcome this derivative spectrophotometry (DS) has been introduced for the resolution of overlapping peaks.
In this review modified methods like derivative quotient spectra, double divisor ratio spectra derivative method, double divisor means centering of ratio spectra method, derivative subtraction coupled with the constant multiplication method (DS-CM), amplitude subtraction (AS), modified amplitude subtraction (MAS), amplitude factor method (P-Factor), amplitude modulation method (AM), amplitude summation method (A-Sum), simultaneous derivative ratio spectrophotometry (S1DD), derivative compensation ratio via regression equation, differential dual wavelength (D1 DWL), differential derivative ratio (D1DR), successive derivative subtraction method (SDS) and derivative transformation (DT) of derivative spectrophotometry theories and applications are reviewed.
These methods were applied to solve different complex pharmaceuticals mixtures. These developed methods were simple and cost-effective.
2. Rojas FS, Ojeda CB. Recent development in derivative ultraviolet/visible absorption spectrophotometry 2004–2008, a review. Anal Chim Acta 2009;635:22-44.
3. Heinz HP, Grinter HC. UV-VIS spectroscopy and its applications. 1st ed. Berlin (GR): Springer Laboratory; 1992.
4. Beckett AH, Stenlake JB. Practical pharmaceutical chemistry. Part 2. 2nd ed. New Delhi (IN): CBS publishers; 2007.
5. Vladimir SS, Alexander IK, Eugene VR, Irina GD. Derivative spectrophotometry and PAM-fluorescence in comparative biochemistry. 1st ed. Dordrech (UK): Springer Nature; 2015.
6. Joanna K. Basic principles and analytical application of derivative spectrophotometry. In. Jamal U. editor. Macro to Nano Spectroscopy. 1st ed. Croatia: InTech; 2012. p. 253-68.
7. Basilio M. Determination of diazepam and otilonium bromide in pharmaceuticals by ratio-spectra derivative spectrophotometry. Fresenius J Anal Chem 1997;357:1179-84.
8. Hamed MELF, Mokhtar MM, Hammad SF, Elsheikh SH. Different ratio spectra methods for simultaneous determination of olmesartan medoxomil, hydrochlorothiazide and amlodipine besylate. J Innovations Pharm Biol Sci 2016;3:166-81.
9. Abdel AYES, Najeb AELS. Recent developments of derivative spectrophotometry and their analytical applications. Anal Sci 2005;21:595-614.
10. R’afat MN, Mahmoud MI, Alaa AS, Nahed TS. Double divisor means centering of ratio spectra as a developed spectrophotometric method for the analysis of five-component mixture in drug analysis. J Saudi Chem Soc 2017;21:S283-S92.
11. Dinç E. The spectrophotometric multicomponent analysis of a ternary mixture of ascorbic acid, acetylsalicylic acid and paracetamol by the double divisor-ratio spectra derivative and ratio spectra-zero crossing methods. Talanta 1999;48:1145-57.
12. Fitria A, Muchlisyam B, Siti MS. Development and validation of double divisor ratio spectra derivative spectrophotometry method for ternary mixture of guaifenesin, dextromethorphan HBR, and diphenhydramine HCl in the tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:1-3.
13. Erdal D, Feyyaz O. Application of a new spectrophotometric method for the analysis of a ternary mixture containing metamizol, paracetamol and caffeine in tablets. Anal Chim Acta 1998;395:93-106.
14. Abbas A, Morteza B. Mean centering of ratio spectra as a new spectrophotometric method for the analysis of binary and ternary mixtures. Talanta 2005;66:712-20.
15. Lotfy HM, Tawakkol SM, Fahmy NM, Shehata MA. Successive spectrophotometric resolution as a novel technique for the analysis of ternary mixtures of pharmaceuticals. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;121:313-23.
16. Lotfy HM, Tawakkol SM, Fahmy NM, Shehata MA. Validated stability indicating spectrophotometric methods for the determination of lidocaine hydrochloride, calcium dobesilate, and dexamethasone acetate in their dosage forms. Anal Chem Lett 2013;3:201-25.
17. Lotfy HM, Mohamed D, Mowaka S. A comparative study of smart spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of sitagliptin phosphate and metformin hydrochloride in their binary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;149:441-51.
18. Lotfy HM, Aboul Alamein AM, Hegazy MA. Quantitative analysis of the cholesterol-lowering drugs ezetimibe and simvastatin in pure powder, binary mixtures, and a combined dosage form by spectrophotometry, chemometry, and high-performance column liquid chromatography. J AOAC Int 2010;39 Suppl 5:1844-55.
19. Hayam Ml, Sarah SS. Recent development in ultraviolet spectrophotometry through the last decade (2006–2016): a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:40-56.
20. Ramzia I, Bagary El, Shereen M, Ehab F Elkady, Maria A, Attallah. Validated spectrophotometric methods for determination of weakly uv absorbed perindopril arginine in bulk and combined dosage form. Anal Chem Lett 2017;6:766-82.
21. Lotfy HM, Saleh SS, Hassan NY, Salem H. A comparative study of novel spectrophotometric methods based on isosbestic points; application on a pharmaceutical ternary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;126:112–21.
22. Lotfy HM, Hegazy MA, Mowaka S, Mohamed EH. Validated spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of omeprazole, tinidazole and doxycycline in their ternary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2016;153:321-32.
23. Darwish HW, Bakheit AH, Naguib IA. Comparative study of novel ratio spectra and isoabsorption point based spectrophotometric methods: application on a binary mixture of ascorbic acid and rutin. J Anal Methods Chem 2016;2:1-12.
24. Yehia AM, Abd El-RMK. Application of normalized spectra in resolving a challenging orphenadrine and paracetamol binary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;138:21-30.
25. Lamie NT, Yehia AM. Development of normalized spectra manipulating spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of dimenhydrinate and cinnarizine binary mixture. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;150:142-50.
26. Erk N. Analysis of binary mixtures of losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide by using high-performance liquid chromatography, ratio derivative spectrophotometric and compensation technique. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2001;24:603–61.
27. Lotfy HM, Saleh SS, Hassan NY, Elgizawy SM. Spectrophotometric and chromatographic methods for the determination of a binary mixture of sodium cromoglicate and xylometazoline hydrochloride. Anal Chem Indian J 2013;13:152-60.
28. Wahbi AAM, Abdel RO, Gazy AA, Mahgoub H, Moneeb MS. Spectrophotometric determination of omeprazole, lansoprazole and pantoprazole in pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:1133-42.
29. Ramadan NK, Mohamed HM, Moustafa AA. Simultaneous determination of rabeprazole sodium and domperidone. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;1:73–80.
30. Abdelwahab NS. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in the combined dosage form. Arabian J Chem 2016;9:S355-60.
31. Sawsan AAR, Manal MF, Manal KD, Hala EZ, Zeinab An. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of gatifloxacin and dexamethasone in their binary mixture. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2015;5:3048-57.
32. Berzas NJJ, Guiberteau CC, Salinas F. Spectrophotometric resolution of ternary mixtures of salicylaldehyde, 3-hydroxybenzaldehyde and 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde by the derivative ratio spectrum-zero crossing method. Talanta 1992;39:547–53.
33. Afkhami A, Bahram M. Successive ratio-derivative spectra as a new spectrophotometric method for the analysis of ternary mixtures. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2005;61:869–77.
34. Lotfy HM, Tawakkol SM, Fahmy NM, Shehata A. A comparative study of novel spectrophotometric resolution techniques applied for pharmaceutical mixtures with partially or severely overlapped spectra. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;136:937–52.
35. Lotfy HM. Determination of simvastatin and ezatimib in combined tablet dosage form by constant center spectrophotometric method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:673–9.
36. Lotfy HM, Hegazy MA. Simultaneous determination of some cholesterol-lowering drugs in their binary mixture by novel spectrophotometric methods. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2013;113:107–14.
37. Lotfy HM, Saleh SS, Hassan NY, Elgizawy SM. Univariate versus multivariate spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of complex binary mixtures with overlapped spectra: a comparative study. Anal Chem Lett 2013;3:70–84.
38. Lotfy HM, Fayez YM, Michael AM, Nessim CK. Simultaneous determination of mebeverine hydrochloride and chlordiazepoxide in their binary mixture using novel univariate spectrophotometric methods via different manipulation pathways. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2016;115:11-20.
39. Saleh SS, Lotfy HM, Hassan NY, Salem H. A comparative study of progressive versus successive spectrophotometric resolution techniques applied for pharmaceutical ternary mixtures. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;132:239–48.
40. Hegazy MA, Lotfy HM, Rezk MR, Omran YR. Novel spectrophotometric determination of chloramphenicol and dexamethasone in the presence of non-labeled interfering substances using univariate methods and multivariate regression model updating. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2015;140:600-13.