EVALUATION OF CARDIO PROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF GALANGIN AGAINST DOXORUBICIN INDUCED CARDIOMYOPATHY
Objective: The present study was designed to investigate the cardioprotective potential of Galangin on Doxorubicin induced cardiotoxicity in rats.
Methods: Albino rats used in this experiment were pretreated with vehicle, Galangin (100 & 200Âµg/kg) and Vit-C (20 mg/kg) for 28 days. On 25th day, a single dose of Doxorubicin (10 mg/kg, i. p) was administered to groups. After 72 h of Doxorubicin administration, ECG, serum and tissues biomarkers were evaluated. Histopathological examination of the heart was performed.
Results: Doxorubicin treated rats exhibited abnormal ECG pattern followed by significant increase in CK-MB, LDH, SGOT, SGPT and LPO level and decrease in GSH, CAT, TT when compared to control rats. Pretreatment with different doses of Galangin and Vit-C significantly reduced the serum biomarkers and increased the tissue antioxidant level when compared to Doxorubicin alone treated groups. Moreover, pretreatment also improved Doxorubicin induced changes in ECG pattern and histopathology of heart.
Conclusion: We conclude that the present study provides experimental evidence that Galangin has strong antioxidant activity, and it can maintain cell membrane integrity, and ameliorate oxidative stress induced by high-dose of Doxorubicin administration. These findings might be helpful to understand the beneficial effects of Galangin against myocardial injury although further study is needed to confirm its mechanism.
2. Cardiovascular health; 2012. http: //www. world-heart-federation. org/cardiovascular-health/global-facts-map.
3. Kumar D, Kirshenbaum LA, Li T, Danelisen I, Singal PK. Apoptosis in adriamycin cardiomyopathy and its modulation by probucol. Antioxid Redox Signaling 2001;3(1):135-45.
4. Singal PK, Pierce GN. Adriamycin stimulates Ca2+ binding and lipid peroxidation but depress myocardial function. Am J Physiol 1986:250;419-24.
5. Doroshow JH. Doxorubicin-induced cardiac toxicity. N Engl J Med 1991;324(12):843-5.
6. Shan K, Lincoff AM, Young JB. Anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity. Ann Intern Med 1996;125(1):47-58.
7. Vijaykumar MK, Ajay GN. Antiarthritic effect of galangin isolated from rhizomes of alpinia officinarum in complete freundâ€™s adjuvant-induced arthritis in rats. IJPPS 2014;6(4):500-5.
8. Maria GM. Chemical and biological properties of propolis from the western countries of the mediterranean basin and portugal. IJPPS 2013;5(3):403-9.
9. Monjur AL, Manabendra DC, Pankaj C. In silico screening of cardioprotective activity of some flavonols. IJPPS 2014;6(2):528-1.
10. De Beer EL, Bottone AE, Voest EE. Doxorubicin and mechanical performance of cardiac trabeculae after acute and chronic treatment: a review. Eur J Pharmacol 2001;415(1):1-11.
11. Sivakumar AS, Viswanathan P, Anuradha CV. Dose-dependent effect of galangin on fructose-mediated insulin resistance and oxidative events in rat kidney. Redox Rep 2010;15(5):224-32.
12. Kaiserova H, Simunek T, van Bast A, der Vijgh WJ, Kvasnickova E. Flavonoids as protectors against doxorubicin cardiotoxicity: Role of iron chelation, antioxidant activity and inhibition of carbonyl reductase. Biochim Biophys Acta 2007;1772:1065-74.
13. Bradley DW, Maynard JE, Emery G, Webster H. Transaminase activities in serum of long-term hemodialysis patients. Clin Chem 1972;18:1442.
14. Wolf PL, Williams D, Coplon N, Coulson AS. Low aspartate transaminase activity in serum of patients undergoing chronic hemodialysis. Clin Chem 1972;18:567-8.
15. Suchalatha S, Devi SCS. Protective effect of terminalia chebula against experimental myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol. Indian Biol 2004;42:174-8.
16. Panda VS, Naik SR. Cardioprotective activity of ginkgo biloba phytosomes in isoproterenol induced myocardial necrosis in rats: a biochemical and histoarchitectural evaluation. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2008;60:397-404.
17. Wakade AS, Sha AS, Kulkarni MP, Juvekar AR. Protective effect of piper longum L on oxidative stress induced injury and cellular abnormality in adriamycin induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Indian Biol 2008;46:528-33.
18. Farvin KHS, Anandan R, Kumar SH, Shiny KS, Sanka TV, Thankappan TK. Effect of squalene on tissue defense system in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats. Pharmacol Res 2004;50:231-6.
19. Garba IH, Ubom GA. Total serum lactate dehydrogenase activity in acute Plasmodium falciparum malaria infection. Singapore Med J 2005;46:632-4.
20. Dewar HA, Rowell NR, Smith AJ. Serum glutamic oxalacetic transaminase in acute myocardial infarction. Brt Med J 1958;8:1121-5.
21. Wang SB, Tian S, Yang F, Yang HG, Yang XY, Du G, et al. Hua Cardioprotective effect of Salvianolic acid A on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats. Eur 2009;615:125-32.
22. Ayaz SA, Bhandari U, Pillai KK, Indian J. Influence of DL Î±-lipoic acid and vitamin-E against doxorubicin-induced biochemical and histological changes in the cardiac tissue of rats. Pharmacol 2005;37:294-99.
23. Kumar P, Muralinath E, Swamy P, Krishna V, Rutin M. Raja Lakshmana hari potential action of vitamin-e, quercetin against the doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy. IJPPS 2011;3(4):280-4.