PRO-INFLAMMATORY CYTOKINES ELICIT INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE IN BLOOD LEUKOCYTES OF POST DIALYTIC CHRONIC RENAL PATIENTS THROUGH HEME OXYGENASE-1 ACTIVATION
Objective: Inflammation is common in patients with chronic renal failure and has beenassociated with the increased production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. Theaim of the investigation is to assess the levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokines,TGF-β,IL-1βand TNF-α and correlate it with HO-1 expression in the leukocytes of renal failurepatients.
Methods: Cytokine profile was analyzed in53South Indianpatients suffering from ESRD under post dialysis condition (2 hrs after dialysis).
Results: Augmented production of TGF-β,IL-1βand TNF-α was observed in the peripheral bloodleukocytes of the patient population.Anincrease in the expression of HO-1 in the leukocytes was demonstrated from our earlier studies.
Conclusion: Thus,our study hypothesized that the inflammatory reaction in the leukocytes of the post dialytic renalfailure cases might be due to the elevation in HO-1 levels brought about by altered pro-inflammatory cytokine levels
2. Manabe I. Chronic inflammation links cardiovascular, metabolic and renal diseases. Circ J 2011;75(3):2739-48.
3. M. Adriana Inflammation in chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular disease-the role of genetics and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra). Clinical Trials gov identifier NCT00897715 2003.
4. Mark D Okusa, Yuan-JiDay, Liping Huang, Marcia J McDuffie, Diane L Rosin. Renal protection from ischemia mediated by A2A adenosine receptors on bone marrowâ€“derived cells. Kidney Int 2004;7:1357â€“65.
5. Simmons E, Himmelfarb J, Sezer MT Mehta R L. Plasma cytokine levels predict mortality in patients with acute renal failure. Kidney Int 2004;65:1357â€“65.
6. Leo E Otterbein, Brian S Zuckerbraun, Manabu Haga, Fang Liu, Ruiping Song, Anny Usheva. Carbon monoxide suppresses arteriosclerotic lesions associated with chronic graft rejection and with balloon injury. Nat Med 2003;9:183-90.
7. Zhen-Wei Xia, Li-Qing Xu, Wen-Wei Zhong, Jing-Jing Wei. Heme Oxygenase-1 Attenuates Ovalbumin-Induced Airway Inflammation by Up-Regulation of Foxp3 T-Regulatory Cells, Interleukin-10, and Membrane-Bound Transforming Growth Factor-Î²1. Am J Path 2007;171(6):1904â€“14.
8. I-Ta Lee, Shue-Fen Luo, Chiang-Wen Lee, Shyi-Wu Wang. Overexpression of HO-1 was found to protect against TNF- -mediated airway inflammation by down-regulation of TNFR1-dependent oxidative stress. Am J Path 2009;175(2):a519â€“32.
9. Sathyapriya Kandavelu, Parameswari, Chetenchery, Somasundaram. Effect of dialysis on Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression in Peripheral blood leukocytes of End Staged Renal Diseased patients. As J Biochem 2011;6(5):1416-25.
10. Hashii K, Fujiwara H, Yoshioka S. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells stimulate progesterone production by luteal cells derived from pregnant women: possible involvement of interleukin-4 and interleukin-10 in corpus luteum function and differentiation. Hum Reprod 1998;13:2738â€“44.
11. Berod A, Hartman BK, Pujol JF. Importance of fixation in immunohistochemistry: use of formaldehyde solutions at variable pH for the localization of tyrosine hydroxylase. J Histochem Cytochem 1981;21:844-50.
12. Wang AYM, Woo J, Lam CWK, Wang M, Sea MM, Lui SF, Li PK. Is a single time point C-reactive protein predictive of outcome in peritoneal dialysis patients? J Am Soc Nephrol 2003;23:1871-9.
13. Qureshi AR, Alvestrand A, Danielsson A. Factors predicting malnutrition in hemodialysis patients: a cross-sectional study. Kidney Int 1998;53(3):773-82.
14. Ernandez T, Mayadas TN. Immunoregulatory role of TN Falpha in inflammatory kidney diseases. Kidney Int 2009;76(3):g262-76.
15. Nakanishi K, Hirano T, Hirasawa H Oda S, Shiga H. Modulation of polymorphonuclear leukocyte apoptosis in the critically ill by removal of cytokines with continuous hemodiafiltration. Blood Purif 2004;24:188â€“97.
16. Kir HM, Eraldemir C, Dervisoglu E, Caglayan C, Kalender B. Effects of chronic kidney disease and type of dialysis on serum levels of adiponectin, TNF-alpha and high sensitive C-reactive protein. Clin Lab 2012;58:495-500.
17. Wang AYM, Lam CWK, Wang M, Chan IHS, Yu CM, Lui SF, et al. Increased circulating inflammatory proteins predict a worse prognosis with vuvular calcification in end-stage renal disease: a prospective cohort study. Am J Nephrol 2008;28:647-53.
18. Qureshi AR, Alvestrand A, Danielsson A. Factors predicting malnutrition in hemodialysis patients: a cross-sectional study. Kidney Int 1998;53(3):773-82.
19. Wagener FA, Volk HD, Willis D, Abraham NG, Soares MP, Adema GJ, et al. Different faces of the heme-heme oxygenase system in inflammation. Pharmacol Rev 2003;5:551â€“71.
20. Sathyapriya, Kandaveluand, Parameswari, Chetenchery, Somasundaram. Effect of dialysis on Heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression in Peripheral blood leukocytes of end staged renal diseasedpatients. As J Biochem 2011;6(5):1416-25.
21. Adriana M Hung, Charles D. Ellis Ayumi Shintani, Cindy Booker, T Alp Ikizler. IL-1Î² Receptor antagonist reduces inflammation in hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 22(3):437â€“42.
22. Vink A, Uyettenhove P, Waunders P, Van Snick J. Accassoryfactros involved in murine T cell activation. Distinct roles of interleukin 6, interleukin 1 and tumor necrosis factor. Eur J Immuno 1990;20:1-6.
23. Faubel S, Lewis EC, Reznikov L, Ljubanovic D, Hoke TS, Somerset H. Cisplatin-induced acute renal failure is associated with an increase in the cytokines interleukin (IL)-1beta, IL-18, IL-6, and neutrophil infiltration in the kidney. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2007;322(1):8-15.
24. Christi M Terry, Jennifer A Clikeman, John R Hoidal, Karleen S Callahan. TNF-Î± and IL-1Î± induce heme oxygenase-1 via protein kinase C, Ca2+, and phospholipase A2 in endothelial cells. AJP â€“ Heart 1999;276(5):H1493-H501.
25. Otterbein LE, Bach FH, Alam J, Soares M, Tao Lu H, Wysk M, et al. Carbon monoxide has anti-inflammatory effects involving the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. Nat Med 2000;6:422-8.
26. Zeng B, Chen H, Zhu C, Ren X, Lin G, Cao F. Effects of combined mesenchymal stem cells and heme oxygenase-1 therapy on cardiac performance. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2008;34(4):850-6.
27. Youn-Chul Kim, Gil-SaengJeong, Seoung-Hoon Lee. Anti-inflammatory effects of apigenin on nicotine-and lipopolysaccharide-stimulated human periodontal ligament cells via heme oxygenase-1. Int Immuno Pharm 2009;12(9):1374-80.
28. Wen Ning, Ruiping Song, Chaojun Li, Edward Park. TGF-Î²1 stimulates HO-1 via the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in A549 pulmonary epithelial cells. AJP-Lung Physiol 2002;283(5):L1094-L102.
29. R Krishnan Kutty, Chandrasekharam N Nagineni, Geetha Kutty. Increased expression of heme oxygenase-1 in human retinal pigment epithelial cells by transforming growth factor-Î². J Cellular Physiology 1994;159(2):371â€“8.