EFFECT OF PIPERINE IN COMBINATION WITH 4-HYDROXYISOLEUCINE ENRICHED TRIGONELLA FOENUM-GRAECUM EXTRACT AND SILYMARIN ON PARACETAMOL INDUCED LIVER DAMAGE IN RATS
Objective: The present study was undertaken to evaluate the hepatoprotective activity of 4-hydroxyisoleucine enriched extract of Trigonella foenum-graecum and silymarin in the presence of piperine, against experimentally induced liver injury.
Methods: Wistar albino rats (150-180g) of either sex (n=6) were employed in present study. Experimental hepatotoxicity was induced by the administration of paracetamol (3 g/kg, p. o.). All the test drugs were administered orally in the form of suspension to the animals. The combination of silymarin and piperine, 4-hydroxyisoleucine (28%) enriched T. foenum graecum extract and piperine were given to animals to compare with individual group as well as with toxicant.
Results: Administration of paracetamol caused significant increase in of SGOT, AST, ALP, bilirubin and total proteins characterizing experimental hepatotoxicity. 4-Hydroxyisoleucine enriched extract of T. foenum-graecum and silymarin in the presence of piperine, significantly attenuated the toxic effects of hepatotoxicants in liver. Histological study of liver was also carried out to estimate the extent of tissue injury.
Conclusion: The combination of piperine and silymarin has shown significant hepatoprotective activity against the injury induced by paracetamol. This was evident from significant reduction in serum enzyme AST, ALT, ALP and total bilirubin. These biochemical observations were also supplemented by histopathological studies of the liver.
2. Nathaniel W, Alcock, David HG, Crout Maria VMG, Edward L, Pike G, Samuel CJ. Stereochemistry of the 4-hydroxyisoleucine from Trigonella foenum-graecum. Phytochem 1989;28:1835-41.
3. Hajimehdipoor H, Sadat-Ebrahimi SE, Amanzadeh Y, Izaddoost M, Givi E. Identification and quantitative determination of 4-hydroxyisoleucine in Trigonella foenum-graecum L. from Iran. J Med Plant 2010;9:29-34.
4. Ahmed MA, Mawla A, Osman HEH. Elicitation of trigonelline and 4-hydroxyisoleucine with Hypoglycemic activity in cell suspension cultures of Trigonella foenum graecum L. Open Conf Proc J 2011;2:80-7.
5. Bhatti MA, Khan MTJ, Ahmed B, Jamshaid M, Ahmad WW. Antibacterial activity of Trigonella foenum-graecum seeds. Fitoterapia 1996;67:372-80.
6. Bajad S, Bedi KL, Singla AK, Johri RK. Piperine inhibits gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in rats and mice. Planta Med 2001;67:176-9.
7. Sangwan PL, Koul JL, Koul S, Reddy MV, Thota N, Khan IA, et al. Piperine analogs as potent Staphylococcus aureus Nor A efflux pump inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem 2008;16:9847-57.
8. Atal N, Bedi KL. Bioenhancers: Revolutionary concept to market. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2010;1:96-9.
9. Bhaskaran S, Mohan V, Synergistic composition of Diabetes mellitus, US Patent; 2006.
10. Dehmlow EV, Shamout AR. Other reported syntheses of piperine. J Chem Res 1981;106:3.
11. Pal RK, Manoj J. Hepatoprotective activity of alcoholic and aqueous extracts of fruits of Luffa cylindrica Linn in rats. Ann Biol Res 2011;2:132.
12. Reitman S, Frankel SA. Colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am J Clin Path 1957;28:56-63.
13. King EJ, Armstrong AR. A convenient method for determining serum and bile phosphatase activity. Can Med Assoc J 1934;31:376-81.
14. Malloy HT, Evelyn KA. The determination of bilirubin with the photoelectric colorimeter. J Biol Chem 1937;119:481-90.
15. Abdel-Barry JA, Abdel-Hassan IA, Al-Hakiem MHH. Hypoglycaemic and antihyperglycaemic effects of Trigonella foenum-graecum leaf in normal and alloxan induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1997;58:149-56.
16. Maleppillil VV, Singh S, Chhipa RR, Bhat MK. The hypoglycaemic activity of fenugreek seed extract is mediated through the stimulation of an insulin signalling pathway. Br J Pharmacol 2005;146:41-8.