DIURETIC EFFECT OF THE ETHANOL EXTRACTS OF PHYLLANTHUS ACIDUS L (SKEELS) LEAVES IN WISTAR RATS
Objective: The objective of this study is to test diuretic effect of ethanol extract of P. acidus leaves in female Wistar rats using modification of Lipschitz method.
Methods: The doses of the extract were 22.5, 45 and 90 mg/kg bw. Parameter of diuretic effect was cumulative urine volume during 6 and 24 hours after administration of the extract. Sodium and potassium level in urine were analyzed using atomic absorption spectrophotometry (AAS). The results were analyzed with Student-t test.
Results: The ethanol extracts of P. acidus at doses of 22.5, 45, and 90 mg/kg bw could accelerate the urinary in rats since 60 minutes after oral administration compared to the control and furosemide 3.6 mg/kg bw (P<0.05). The level of sodium on 24 hour urine of the ethanol extracts of P. acidus at doses 22.5 and 45 mg/kg bw significantly higher than control group (P<0.05), but significantly lower than furosemide 3.6 mg/kg bw (P<0.05). The level of potassium on 24 hour urine of the ethanol extracts of P. acidus at doses 45 and 90 mg/kg bw significantly higher than control group (P<0.05), but significantly lower than furosemide 3.6 mg/kg bw (P<0.05).
Conclusion: It can be concluded that the ethanol extract of P. acidus at doses of 22.5 mg/kg bw, 45 mg/kg bw and 90 mg/kg bw had significantly diuretic and saluretic effect compared to control group (P<0.05), but significantly less than furosemid 3.6 mg/kg bw (P<0.05).
2. Wright CI, Van-Buren L, Kroner CI, Koning MMG. Herbal medicines as diuretics: a review of the scientific evidence. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;114:1-31.
3. Udupa AL, Sanjeeva, Benegal A, Prusty V, Kodancha P, Kumar MCS, et al. Diuretic activity of Phyllanthus nirusi (Linn) in rats. Health 2010;2 Suppl 5:511-2.
4. Kalyani B, Khavane K, Santosh P, Ramchandra S. Evaluation of diuretic activity of Phyllanthus fraternus web arial parts on albino rats. Int J Pharm Biol Arc 2010;1 Suppl 4:389-92.
5. Hnatyszyn O, Mino J, Gorzalczany S, Opezzo J, Ferraro G, Coussio J, Acevedo. Diuretic activity of an aqueous extract of Phyllanthus sellowianus. Phytomed 1999;6:177-9.
6. Srividya N, Periwal S. Diuretic, hypotensive and hypoglicaemic effect of Phyllanthus amarus. Indian J Exp Biol 1995;33 Suppl 11:861-4.
7. Devi SS, Pau SB. An overview on Cicca acida (Phyllanthus acidus). Assam University J Sci Technol 2011;7 Suppl 1:156-60.
8. Lipschitz WL, Haddian Z, Kepscar A. Bioassay of diuretics. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1943;79 Suppl 2:97-110.
9. Craft RM, Ulibarri CM, Raub DJ. Kappa opioid-diuresis in female vs. male rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2000;65 Suppl 1:53-9.
10. Dicker SE. Review Article: diuretics and diuresis. J Pharm Pharmacol 1951;3 Suppl 1:449â€“75.
11. Rao KNV, Sunitha Ch, Banji D, Sandhya S, Khrisna SDM. Diuretic activity on different extracts and formulation on aerial parts of Rumex vesicarius Linn. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3 Suppl 6:400-8.
12. Shenoy JP, Pai PG, Shoeb A, Gokul P, Kulkarni A, Kotian MS. An evaluation of diuretic activity of Morinda citrifolia (Linn) (Noni) fruit juice in normal rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3 Suppl 2:119-21.
13. Yadav R, Kharya MD, Yadav N, Savadi R. Diuretic activity of Spilanthes acmella Murr. leaves extract on rats. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1 Suppl 1:57-61.
14. Calixto JB, Santos ARS, Filho VC, Yunes RA. A review of the plants of the genus Phyllanthus: Their chemistry, pharmacology and therapeutic potential. Med Res Rev 1998;18 Suppl 4:225-58.
15. Vongvanich N, Kittakoop P, Kramyu J, Tanticharoen M, Thebtaranonth Y. Phyllanthusols A and B, cytotoxic norbisabolane glycosides from Phyllanthus acidus Skeels. J Org Chem 2000;64:5420-3.
16. Gupta VK, Arya V. A review on potential diuretics of Indian medicinal plants. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3 Suppl 1:613-20.
17. Bagalkotkar G, Sagineedu SR, Saad MS, Stanslas J. Phytochemicals from Phyllanthus niruri Linn and their pharmacological properties: a review. J Pharm Pharmacol 2006;58:1559-70.